Chain lubricants

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

seanmolin wrote:Rock 'n Roll Gold! I just have to reapply it every 50 miles... and it's expensive and you have to use it quite liberally.

This is why I don't use it anymore. After each ride, found myself having to generously reapply it...I've already burned through 1/3 of the bottle after 1 month. When others, like ProLink will last me a year for a small bottle.

Plus, found it didn't keep it any cleaner or quieter than anything else I've used in the past.

I guess if you don't mind reapplying and wiping down your chain after every ride...it is OK I found.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Hm... Why do you guys feel you have to reapply after every ride? I ride 140km a week and apply fortnightly. Didn't feel any worse for it, no noise definitely, but maybe I'm just lazy. Which is the reason I like it actually, cos it cleans and lube together and I'm lazy to drop every link with other lube.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RoadBikeStudio

by RoadBikeStudio

T9's been great for me.

reknop

by reknop

wheelsONfire wrote:
reknop wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:Cerabike Wax lube is a nice product and well worth a test.

The contents is wax, graphite and ceramic particles.
I've seen similar wax lubes but not containing both graphite and ceramic particles.

I think you should give it a try and hopefully you like it to :wink:

It's not everywhere in Europe available, definitely not in the Netherlands. :)

Yes i can send the address to you.
Just mail Cerabike at this email, and ask to buy a bottle of Wax lube.
You can pay with paypal.
Ask for Juan Sanchez he is a helpful guy.
I am sure he will ship the Wax lube to you.

cerabike@gmail.com

You must consider, Cerabike is a small company which does not advertise their product.
I am sure, if you test it you will be happy you did.
I can assure you it beats Muc OFF Hydrodynamic (hyped up Team sky lube)

The problem with bike shops and / or importers and dealers is, the only like to invest in hyped up products.
Because people buy it. Not many knows about Cerabike.
I still hope Starbike or R2Bike import Cerabike Wax lube.
A product to great to be passed up!

For fun i rode my bike in lots of crap like sand and mud to see how my chain and jockey wheels would work.
Still splendid and not much dirt.
This was during one week with no cleaning at all done to the bike.
After that, i just used water ( connect a hose to my shower and pour water on chain ) and then re-lubed it.
Nothing more needed.
The only thing you should do first time you use Cerabike Wax Lube.
Clean chain really well from older agents.
Then apply wax lube. After that, it's sufficent using water and possibly dishwash soap.
Then you just apply new lube.

I've ordered two 130 ml bottles of Cerabike Wax Lube. I'm very pleased so far ... as advertised it doesn't attract dirt that much and it keeps my chain rolling smoothly. I will apply it the day before I ride and clean the excessive lube before I ride. Almost no grey film on my chain ... just some lube residue.

It will be my preferred lube for the upcoming season. Excellent product for a good price.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Reknop, it is nice to see you also found this to be a great product.
Hopefully we'll see some dealer pick this stuff up higher up in EU.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

djbowen99

by djbowen99

Kayrehn wrote:Hm... Why do you guys feel you have to reapply after every ride? I ride 140km a week and apply fortnightly. Didn't feel any worse for it, no noise definitely, but maybe I'm just lazy. Which is the reason I like it actually, cos it cleans and lube together and I'm lazy to drop every link with other lube.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I am using this lube now and when i feel that i must re-apply before almost every ride. I have never gone through a bottle of lube so fast. The few times i didn't reapply before a ride the chain seemed dry and noisy.

reknop

by reknop

wheelsONfire wrote:Reknop, it is nice to see you also found this to be a great product.
Hopefully we'll see some dealer pick this stuff up higher up in EU.

Let's hope a distributor can push the volumes in the northern and central parts of Europe. But so far the work around was fine ...
I wrote down my thoughts and experiences: http://www.remo-knops.com/5513/cerabike-wax-lube/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

sawyer

by sawyer

Different riding conditions of course are the main answer to different experiences on this thread.

If you live in a city you chain is getting diesel particulates and so on belched all over it all the time. When I'm abroad with the bike it's notable how much cleaner the chain stays. Not a small improvement ... more like about 80% reduction in dirt pick-up on the chain
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

Considerable saving from worse to best lube from friction fact research 2-3 years ago. As much as 4-5 watts on a ultrasonic cleaned chain. This research was conducted before company was sold to ceramic speed.

some info on this site

http://www.velonews.com/2013/03/bikes-a ... 5i6sBx6.99

Looking at all the friction facts research and then also looking at tyre friction numbers and inner tube friction numbers we would be silly to ignore this.

the question to ask is this, if you ride in a vacuum with 0 friction @ 250watts constant, what would your acceleration and attainable top speed be? So in real world conditions, something is slowing us down. There will always be a point where these forces will be too great to overcome, but if we consider the amount of time we spend training, money spent on slightly lighter parts etc. etc. Looking at friction and drag would have some easy gains.

On of the friction facts report was around a chain that was unlubed, and then ultrasonically run in a water bath and left to dry, on first run the friction number were horrific, but this process was repeated several times to simulate a 0 maintenance situation. The end total was 20watts lost in friction @250watt output....

eurperg

by eurperg

DIY Chain optimisation from Rex:

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/08/10/rex-race-day-spray-bottles-diy-chain-optimization/#more-168219

They claim it makes CeramicSpeed UFOchain and Muc-Off Nanochain useless, interesting...

willmac

by willmac

I've just started using squirt wax. I was in Tuscany last week riding and did my fair share of gravel and dust. 250km and chain sounds and looks great. It picks up a little rubber from the road but 20/30 backwards spins of the pedals with a rag on the chain and it's spotless. Fantastic for dry weather, it will be interesting to see how it fairs for winter. If it's good it's going to be really good compared to washing the usual filth off from filthy salty roads

53x12

by 53x12

eurperg wrote:DIY Chain optimisation from Rex:

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/08/10/rex-race-day-spray-bottles-diy-chain-optimization/#more-168219

They claim it makes CeramicSpeed UFOchain and Muc-Off Nanochain useless, interesting...

Meh, too expensive. I have been contemplating trying out the Molten Speed wax route as it is cheap and doesn't take too much work from reviews I have read.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

eurperg

by eurperg

^ Expensive, yes. But you get three optimisations for a price less than one UFO Chain or Nanochain...

53x12

by 53x12

Molton speed wax is $20 for a one pound bag. Small crock pot is $10. $7 food thermometer. You would be way ahead of the curve for a much lower price.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com