Chain lubricants

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

beatle

by beatle

Wheever wrote:
beatle wrote:
Wheever wrote:I am a convert to off-the-bike solvent cleaning of the chain. Mineral Spirits in a gatorade bottle or similar. Shake well, let sit for a while, shake again, fish out and wipe and let dry. I don't like water because it's easy for the chain to not get the chain entirely dry without baking. With the mineral spirits, it evaporates quickly. If you lid the bottle, you can use it over and over, making it more economical than water-based solvents.

As to lube, I've been using Rock-n-roll gold, but it does pick up dirt pretty quickly. I've been wanting to try paraffin baths, and seeing how that works. Tried squirt and Ice lube, and didn't really like either.

No matter what, off the bike cleaning is the best way, and a Wippermann connex link is much superior to any of the KMX products.

How long does a Wippermann last?

I've heard they last for tens of thousands of miles. The best part about them is they're tool less, in use, and really easy to work.

Thanks, I have one on my Ritchey breakaway travel bike. With that mileage expected, I needn't think about it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Well, finally got some RockRoll Gold. I've been using DumondTech, the dark blue stuff, it is thick, but really quiets the drive train down to nothing. But picks up a lot of dirt, needs to be wiped down all the time.

RockRoll Gold, not so impressed. It still gets pretty dirty, needs applying often to just clean/relube the chain almost every other time I ride. And, one of the loudest lubes out there. Obviously due to the wax type lubricant it is with very thin base of liquid. So it might be so called lower friction, but it doesn't sound that way.

The best all round lube I still think is ProLink. It is somewhat quiet, but stays very cleaned compared to these other two above. Lube lasts longer and just need a quick wipe down every so often.

Maybe just go back to my Dumond Tech for silence, and then put RockRoll over top as a cleaner/interim lube every week or so, back/forth between them like previously. Seems to be a good trade off, and I can get rid of these 3 different bottles of lube I have now that will last 2yrs!!!

sd5500

by sd5500

Molten speed wax here. Love it. Chain stays super clean.

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

sd5500 wrote:Molten speed wax here. Love it. Chain stays super clean.

I'm considering this as an option for my best summer bike. How many dry miles do you typically get between each application. How does it cope in wet weather?

Thanks
Paul

Wheever

by Wheever

I just started using rock-n-roll "Absolute Dry", after reading about lubes that don't pick up sand for fat bike beach riding (just got a fat bike, ridden it on the beach a couple of times, the amount of sand that sticks to the drivetrain is absurd!) Anyway, decided to try it on my roadie and, frankly, I'M BLOWN AWAY!

The drivetrain is now so completely silent it's almost eerie, and ridiculously clean. Even though there's still left over r-n-r gold on the sprockets and rings (I cleaned them with OMS and a rag, but didn't kill myself doing so,) wiping the chain leaves very little black on a rag.

I am totally sold on dry lubes now. I've only put about 60 miles on the lube so far, so I have no data with how long it will last, but even if I have to relube every 100 or so, the pleasure I get from a silent, clean drivetrain is worth it! :thumbup:

A2ON

by A2ON

Im relatively new to road cycling so dont have much idea what im doing but I use this stuff called squirt on my XC bike and now my road bike

http://www.squirtlube.com/
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/squirt-chain-lube-120ml/

I find it keeps the chain clean and I guess provides good lubricant ?

I did try muck off dry lube for a brief spell but it was sticky and attracted loads of dust so binned it.

After every ride i wipe down the chain with a rag and re apply it, if the bike is more dirty i use a muc off chain cleaner thing with degreaser clean it, and re apply once its dry.

Not sure if thats right or if it helps but seems to work ok for me, hoping its right as just got a new KMC X11SL DLC chain in black and dont fancy destroying it too quick £££

reknop

by reknop

wheelsONfire wrote:I've seen a few that catch my interest.

* Purple Extreme
* Juice Lubes Viking Juice and Ceramic
* MUC Off Hydrodynamic

I ordered the latter.
Did not like MUC Off Ceramic wet. It stick like hell to the frame (paint) when i wash the bike.
Wax lubes i find almost always build up on pulley wheels, but is easy to clean and wipe.

I'm curious about your experience with the MucOff Hydrodynamic lube ? I use Squirt Dry lube to keep my Speedplay cleats in optimal condition.Used Morgan Blue racing oil and some kind of nano tech lube for my chain. And i noticed the bikeradar article on the Muc-off Hydrodynamic lube a little while ago: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... lic-43928/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hi Reknop,

well, so far i think it is a good idea to apply this and let it dry for several hours. Then wipe excess off.
Also wipe pulleys.
I would wipe it until it don't leave resido at pulleys.
It sadly attracts some degree of dirt, so i am not sure it is best suited for gravel bikes.
I have not used it at my road bike yet.

I would like to test Cerabike Wax lube, but it's a bit of problem with shipping (due to contents according to amazon).

I don't know what to say of Hydrodynamic (MUC Off). I simply can't say more than try it out!
I mainly look for a lube that attracts less dirt. So i am not sure this is the best choice.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

A2ON

by A2ON

I tried the team sky lube the one that comes with the little light to check application - its blue and smells nice but it attracts dust and dirt soooo easy

reknop

by reknop

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I'll simply order a hydrodynamic lube and try it later this summer.

Currently still using the Holmenkol Lube Extreme
http://www.holmenkol.com/produkte/bike/roadbike/lubeextreme-50.html?id=393&category=25&___store=en&___from_store=de

Very good lubricant, but can harden around the rear derailleur pulleys.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Anyone still using Chain-L?

MikeDee

by MikeDee

beeatnik wrote:Anyone still using Chain-L?

A lot of people like it. I'd have to be convinced that it is nothing more than hypoid gear lube though.

sawyer

by sawyer

Zigmeister wrote:Well, finally got some RockRoll Gold. I've been using DumondTech, the dark blue stuff, it is thick, but really quiets the drive train down to nothing. But picks up a lot of dirt, needs to be wiped down all the time.

RockRoll Gold, not so impressed. It still gets pretty dirty, needs applying often to just clean/relube the chain almost every other time I ride. And, one of the loudest lubes out there. Obviously due to the wax type lubricant it is with very thin base of liquid. So it might be so called lower friction, but it doesn't sound that way.

The best all round lube I still think is ProLink. It is somewhat quiet, but stays very cleaned compared to these other two above. Lube lasts longer and just need a quick wipe down every so often.

Maybe just go back to my Dumond Tech for silence, and then put RockRoll over top as a cleaner/interim lube every week or so, back/forth between them like previously. Seems to be a good trade off, and I can get rid of these 3 different bottles of lube I have now that will last 2yrs!!!

Yes, all of that is true re Rock and Roll Gold. It is thin, not that quiet, needs frequent re-application. But ... it is fast ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

sd5500

by sd5500

probertsqbe wrote:
sd5500 wrote:Molten speed wax here. Love it. Chain stays super clean.

I'm considering this as an option for my best summer bike. How many dry miles do you typically get between each application. How does it cope in wet weather?

Thanks
Paul

I go about 400 ish miles on a wax. I have 2 SRAM training chains I rotate, and a YBN Ti chain for race day. Call John at Molten Speed Wax. Great guy, he'll give you all the good info to help you decide.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HakeemT

by HakeemT

sawyer wrote:Yes, all of that is true re Rock and Roll Gold. It is thin, not that quiet, needs frequent re-application. But ... it is fast ...

Agree, I need to re-lube every 250km, but it's so easy to apply (clean and lube in one go) that I don't care much about it. The fact that it tests fastest of all 'easy' solutions is why I keep using it.