Chain lubricants

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Renne

by Renne

eurperg wrote:DIY Chain optimisation from Rex:

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/08/10/rex-race-day-spray-bottles-diy-chain-optimization/#more-168219

They claim it makes CeramicSpeed UFOchain and Muc-Off Nanochain useless, interesting...

Looks nice but I'd love to know how long one of those cans lasts...looks awfully small for €80 :?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JLiukkonen

by JLiukkonen

That's 3-4 applications/bottle depending on if you spray it also on cassette (which is really useful in wet and muddy conditions). With one application on chain you can ride easily over 200km, in dry conditions even more.
www.rex.fi/en/bike

eurperg

by eurperg

^^ A single can gives 3 applications for 80€ / Ufochain and Nanochains are one-time use only and cost 100€...

There is no direct competition on the market, as it is the only hydrophobic fluorocarbon chain coating available, and the only DIY chain optimisation solution. And the only product that you can apply on the cassette.

Even their regular Domestique Chain lube is better than most lubricants. I've been XC skiing a lot, and fluorocarbon coatings are used widely in racing. They cost about the same as Race Day Spray.

sawyer

by sawyer

Zigmeister wrote:
seanmolin wrote:Rock 'n Roll Gold! I just have to reapply it every 50 miles... and it's expensive and you have to use it quite liberally.

This is why I don't use it anymore. After each ride, found myself having to generously reapply it...I've already burned through 1/3 of the bottle after 1 month. When others, like ProLink will last me a year for a small bottle.

Plus, found it didn't keep it any cleaner or quieter than anything else I've used in the past.

I guess if you don't mind reapplying and wiping down your chain after every ride...it is OK I found.

+1 ... I've been through a few bottles of Rock and Roll Gold but have given up on it - it needs far too much re-application. A great lube for a TT bike or a hill climb bike

I'm back on Finish Line Dry ... attracts very little dirt (like R&R Gold) but lasts about 4x as long
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

savechief wrote:Dumonde Tech: Will not be using anymore; picks up too much road crap and turns into a black, oily paste (yes, I wipe off the excess after application)

I know this is an old reply, but what..

Dumonde Tech Pro X Lite runs extremely clean for me. The key is to use an old rag and wipe down the chain once in a while...maybe after every second ride. It wipes off clean without any solvents and the chain looks sparkling. I also wipe down the cassette too. It takes a less than a minute. After your last ride is also when to reapply the lube so it dries overnight. One application lasts ~250 miles, which is good enough for me since it keeps the chain so clean. I can literally touch the chain and my fingertips will be clean.

sawyer

by sawyer

TobinHatesYou wrote:
savechief wrote:Dumonde Tech: Will not be using anymore; picks up too much road crap and turns into a black, oily paste (yes, I wipe off the excess after application)

I know this is an old reply, but what..

Dumonde Tech Pro X Lite runs extremely clean for me. The key is to use an old rag and wipe down the chain once in a while...maybe after every second ride. It wipes off clean without any solvents and the chain looks sparkling. I also wipe down the cassette too. It takes a less than a minute. After your last ride is also when to reapply the lube so it dries overnight. One application lasts ~250 miles, which is good enough for me since it keeps the chain so clean. I can literally touch the chain and my fingertips will be clean.

So the key is to wipe off the crap the lube attracts? Many of us are concerned not to have the crap attracted in the first place
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Thenuge

by Thenuge

eurperg wrote:DIY Chain optimisation from Rex:

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/08/10/rex-race-day-spray-bottles-diy-chain-optimization/#more-168219

They claim it makes CeramicSpeed UFOchain and Muc-Off Nanochain useless, interesting...

Ooo I like this. Can you buy it in the U.S.?

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Lillylube.

ArtV

by ArtV

MyM3Coupe wrote:Lillylube.

+1

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sawyer wrote:So the key is to wipe off the crap the lube attracts? Many of us are concerned not to have the crap attracted in the first place

Yes, because it comes off completely with backpedaling once through the entire chain. It is certainly cleaner than any wax based lube that leaves gray build up all over the drivetrain. It's better than RnR Gold, which doesn't last as long and wipes off a little harder. I like my bike to look immaculate and not leave. It's the cleanest lube I ever used in the sense that one wipe from a dry rag makes the chain look like new. No solvents or degreasers ever needed, nor are they recommended after the first time you degrease the chain of preexisting lube.

To each their own.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

dumonde tech pro x lite

This one is my current favourite.

It doesn't seem to attract as much dirt as other lubes I've used.

I wipe chain when I wash the bike, normally weekly, about 300km a week.
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

MikeD

by MikeD

The problem with any wax type lubricants is that they don't last long and don't keep a chain that quiet, but keep the chain relatively clean. If you don't mind reapplying often, a drip on wax lube like Squirt works pretty well, although it's thick and doesn't penetrate the chain readily. Right now, I'm using Dumonde and NFS.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Liquid Wrench. Marketed now in chain lube formula which just means more $$... same stuff.

True Value hardware sells it w their name on it.. large can in s Tx for around 4 bucks. Good on salads too. :mrgreen:
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

NGtim

by NGtim

I'm using Squirt. Noticed on one bike it's drying up and dropping oil all over the place..

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

NGtim wrote:I'm using Squirt. Noticed on one bike it's drying up and dropping oil all over the place..

That's a 'feature' of Squirt and other wax lubes. The grime it picks up supposedly comes off with the excess wax. Problem is when the wax comes off the chain it builds up everywhere else on the drivetrain like the between cogs, chainrings, derailleur cages, etc. Wax lubes might be a good compromise for MTB, but not for road. I won't touch Squirt, Smoove, Wend, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com