Chain lubricants

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

[quote="Gearjunkie"]This sounds good, but could find no way to purchase :oops:[/quote

Maybe i was a bit unclear!?

It's Decathlon who is seller and/ or amazon.es which is Spain.

For purchase i suggest that you contact Cerabike. They will send you a bottle directly from Cerabike.
You need to contact them and pay with paypal.

I suggest you test one bottle. Shipping can cost a bit, but one bottle is worth buying for a test.
Rinse your chain, before apply is key here (dah, we all know about it! Yes, but it's worth mentioning again!)

I can send you the email address over PM (check your inbox buddy!)
I personally hope Starbike or R2 bike add this lube to their lists.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

BRM wrote:Why you not just start with simple reading? :roll:
Its clearly mentioned where he has it from.

Even more important, for the average user its not a good base to choose a lube on.
The friction differences are nihil in real world conditions and there are other more important specifications when chosing a lube.
Interpretation is all. . . . stop staring to figures only.

Besides that, this eficiency test is more than 3 years old. When finding information you need to begin with the date of the information. There is an importance in the date. Because when its old(er) it can be already overclassed by newer information.

And because its old the test easily can be found on the internet like on scribd.com and others.
In this particular issue of the magazine the test was published:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/ ... 013_272979

The test:
https://www.scribd.com/doc/262044061/Ve ... ency-Tests
http://www.lillylube.com/uploads/Link_t ... rticle.pdf

BRM,

you are right i would guess, talking friction.
I can not tell as i have no chance of testing myriads of components ment to lower friction.
However, i have tested all sorts of chain lubes and Cerabikes Wax lube i prefer over the rest.

The thing i look for is a chain that do not attract to much dust, grime or similar.
Not build up goop on pulley wheels and do not splash and stick to frame when you wash the bike.
A great example of this is; Muc Off Ceramic wet lube.
It should be easy to clean and work for most terrains and weather (i do not ask for miracles, just almost)

Tests in all honor, i read them but at times do not find i feel same.
Cerabike Wax lube is a nice product and well worth a test.

The contents is wax, graphite and ceramic particles.
I've seen similar wax lubes but not containing both graphite and ceramic particles.

I think you should give it a try and hopefully you like it to :wink:
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RL7836

by RL7836

reknop wrote:However if you only intrested in this particular one, check velonews they collaborated for this one so they may also have it publish somewhere.
I believe the chart is slightly dated. In the more-recent chart, Molten Speed Wax has the best numbers - here.

For me, I got sick of the oily black stains on my leg (or clothes) and only getting 1000 miles or less on a chain. As many other posters have noted, the problem with oily lubes isn't their ability to lubricate, it's their inherent ability to attract grit into the chain. The grit increases friction & decreases chain life. Melted wax fills the interstitial spaces within a chain, keeping the grit out and the solidified wax doesn't attract any grit while riding.

After doing a bunch of reading, I purchased a crockpot (which went to the wife & I took the old family unit to be dedicated to waxing). On my first chain, I got between 4000-5000 miles (~6450-8000km). The second chain is still in use. My current wax includes graphite. However, Friction Facts published their formula & approach, so I'm probably going to switch over to it & nix the graphite. I don't expect any significant change but I think a mix without graphite will look better on my new KMC silver chain. Any small incremental gains coupled with improved visuals is a win:win in my book.

ScapinBoy

by ScapinBoy

Bike Milk - sweet stuff. Can't go wrong

Just be sure to remove prior product first.

savechief

by savechief

I've settled on Chain-L being my favorite lube.

Prolink: 2nd favorite, nothing wrong with it, just like Chain-L better
Rock 'N Roll Gold: My only complaint is that it doesn't last very long
Dumonde Tech: Will not be using anymore; picks up too much road crap and turns into a black, oily paste (yes, I wipe off the excess after application)

All these fancy gyrations with crock pots and melted paraffin seems like a lot of work to save very few Watts and prolong the life of a $25 chain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

seanmolin

by seanmolin

Rock 'n Roll Gold! I just have to reapply it every 50 miles... and it's expensive and you have to use it quite liberally.

MikeDee

by MikeDee

I recently subscribed to Tour International. Good magazine by the way if you're into a bike mag that does a lot of testing. Anyway, I was reading an article and they recommended a penetrating oily chain lube for the innards of the chain, and wax on the outside. The concept is to provide the best lubricant inside the chain and a coating that doesn't attract dirt on the outside. How best to achieve that? What wax without oil in it will work on the outside? Maybe Boeshield?

McGilli

by McGilli

A year ago I switched to Squirt wax based lube for dry riding. Main reason was that I used wax based lube on my Ninja motorcycles for many years and found it to be excellent. Second reason was that all other lubes I tried on my bikes was attracting dirt while riding.

And man, there is nothing worse than pulling up to a group of people during a 2, 3 or 400km ride and having a dirty chain and cassette :) But seriously - Seeing riders with total black Shimano or SRAM chains and cassettes just hurts my eyes (talking road - off roaders are excused ;). I like my components looking clean and shiny no matter how far I've ridden for the day. Makes after ride cleanup that much easier too.

People have mentioned the pulleys getting gummed up. While it's not a concern while riding - once home I just hold a tissue to the pulley, spin the crank once and it's gone. Easy stuff , fast too. Also - the wax that seems to get pushed out of the rollers and accumulate on the chain joints - again just a tissue on the chain over the big ring and give it a spin and it's all shiny and clean again. For my wet weather bike I just use Tri-Flow.

I never ride less than 20,000km per year, and 3/4 of that is dry weather and Squirt wax has been great for my chains. I will re-wax every 350km or 3 rides.

Delorre

by Delorre

McGilli wrote:
I never ride less than 20,000km per year, and 3/4 of that is dry weather and Squirt wax has been great for my chains. I will re-wax every 350km or 3 rides.

Everyone his own expercience I guess, but I stopped using Squirt. OK, the drivetrain stays relatively clean, but after the first 50 km, it gets noisy and I had the impression that the chain was not lubed as it should, on big efforts, it felt like I rode a chain without any lube, accompagnied by some grinding sound. Also, the drivetrain was very stiff. You could feel a lot of drag when pedalling backbards on the bikestand. I'm back on Finish Line Dry and won't look back. For dry wether, this is perfect. Lubes well, lasts long enough ( relube also after 350 - 400 km) and no all black chain/ cassette. A dry rag on the outside of the chain cleans it in no time.

reknop

by reknop

wheelsONfire wrote:Cerabike Wax lube is a nice product and well worth a test.

I've seen similar wax lubes but not containing both graphite and ceramic particles.

It's not everywhere in Europe available, definitely not in the Netherlands. :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

reknop wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:Cerabike Wax lube is a nice product and well worth a test.

It's not everywhere in Europe available, definitely not in the Netherlands. :)

Yes i can send the address to you.
Just mail Cerabike at this email, and ask to buy a bottle of Wax lube.
You can pay with paypal.
Ask for Juan Sanchez he is a helpful guy.
I am sure he will ship the Wax lube to you.

cerabike@gmail.com

You must consider, Cerabike is a small company which does not advertise their product.
I am sure, if you test it you will be happy you did.
I can assure you it beats Muc OFF Hydrodynamic (hyped up Team sky lube)

The problem with bike shops and / or importers and dealers is, the only like to invest in hyped up products.
Because people buy it. Not many knows about Cerabike.
I still hope Starbike or R2Bike import Cerabike Wax lube.
A product to great to be passed up!

For fun i rode my bike in lots of crap like sand and mud to see how my chain and jockey wheels would work.
Still splendid and not much dirt.
This was during one week with no cleaning at all done to the bike.
After that, i just used water ( connect a hose to my shower and pour water on chain ) and then re-lubed it.
Nothing more needed.
The only thing you should do first time you use Cerabike Wax Lube.
Clean chain really well from older agents.
Then apply wax lube. After that, it's sufficent using water and possibly dishwash soap.
Then you just apply new lube.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

MikeDee wrote:I recently subscribed to Tour International. Good magazine by the way if you're into a bike mag that does a lot of testing. Anyway, I was reading an article and they recommended a penetrating oily chain lube for the innards of the chain, and wax on the outside. The concept is to provide the best lubricant inside the chain and a coating that doesn't attract dirt on the outside. How best to achieve that? What wax without oil in it will work on the outside? Maybe Boeshield?

Is that even possible? In theory i understand it.

Why not just try Cerabike Wax lube?
Content: Wax, ceramic and graphite particles.

Nice guys easy to buy with paypal. Just mail them and test the lube
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

MikeDee

by MikeDee

wheelsONfire wrote:
MikeDee wrote:I recently subscribed to Tour International. Good magazine by the way if you're into a bike mag that does a lot of testing. Anyway, I was reading an article and they recommended a penetrating oily chain lube for the innards of the chain, and wax on the outside. The concept is to provide the best lubricant inside the chain and a coating that doesn't attract dirt on the outside. How best to achieve that? What wax without oil in it will work on the outside? Maybe Boeshield?

Is that even possible? In theory i understand it.

Why not just try Cerabike Wax lube?
Content: Wax, ceramic and graphite particles.

Nice guys easy to buy with paypal. Just mail them and test the lube

The idea is that solid lubricants like wax and those particles get pushed out of the bearing surfaces and don't flow back like oil.

tomee

by tomee

Delorre wrote:
McGilli wrote:

Everyone his own expercience I guess, but I stopped using Squirt. OK, the drivetrain stays relatively clean, but after the first 50 km, it gets noisy and I had the impression that the chain was not lubed as it should, on big efforts, it felt like I rode a chain without any lube, accompagnied by some grinding sound. Also, the drivetrain was very stiff. You could feel a lot of drag when pedalling backbards on the bikestand. I'm back on Finish Line Dry and won't look back. For dry wether, this is perfect. Lubes well, lasts long enough ( relube also after 350 - 400 km) and no all black chain/ cassette. A dry rag on the outside of the chain cleans it in no time.

exactly my experience with Squirt.
It is now relegated to lubing my cleats. speedplay and SPD

Darceking

by Darceking

I love the Muc Off Dry Lube. I find myself applying it more often ( say 150km ) but it feels so much better then anything else I have used

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com