Lightest QR that actually works well?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

JKolmo wrote:A big warning for the Tune U20 road QRs! I have had these for just a couple of rides from new. I started to hear a subtle creaking noise on my latest rides, and suspected that the headset was the culprit.

Today when mashing in a higher gear and putting in a punch standing up on a steep uphill grade my rear wheel came loose so the the tire rubbed the left chainstay to a sudden complete stop. It turned out the rear QR was loose. I tighten it several times to no awail. Instead it got longer and longer!

As you can see on the pics the metal "tubes" on both front and rear QRs have been pulled out from their positions. Next thing would have been complete failure of the QRs!

Now back to the Campy standard QRs and not look back! No more lightweight QRs for me...!Image

I've been using a couple of U20s for about 5 years now on 4 bikes with no issues with the product itself. I had a user-error incident though where I did not tighten the rear skewer enough and when I tackled a steep climb off the saddle, the rear wheel almost came off the dropouts, causing the chain to skip and I lost my balance. Luckily, I was going slow so no injuries sustained (by me and the bike). All I did was tightened the skewer and all was good.

The U20 comes with 2 end nuts -- a regular one, and a light weight one. After this incident, i switched to the regular end nut to allow for more precise tightening and easier mounting/dismounting of wheels.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Skewers like tune dc 14 , bold titanium, or extralite all work well. I have had same issues as above withe uktralite skewers not able to hold rear wheel and ruining my colnago paint job with tirerub. Lite skewers not worth the headache and trouble.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

benzebub

by benzebub

how are the Enve titanium skewers? not the lightest but an affordable alternative..
But I could be wrong

badger4561

by badger4561

+1 planet x or taiwanese equivalent carbon/ti skewers, do the job especially given their price

evan326

by evan326

I just got a set of Zipp Ti Aero skewers at 69.2g for the set. So far so good.

RyanH

by RyanH

I've used quite a few of these: Extralite Streeters, Kcnc (ti and steel), Tune, PoP and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head.

The RZR wheelset is demanding since the hub interface with the frame is smooth, which lends itself to clicking and creaking.

Extralite seemed to have good clamping force but made a screech of death when clamping even with a touch of Phil's. I never got past that.

Kcnc is fine but on days where I leave in the 60* range and end up riding in the 80s, they will creak with the RZRs. It seems they expand over the day and allow for slight wheel movement.

PoP was inferior to the kcnc skewers.

Tune TT skewers worked very well just a pita to swap wheels. Not meant for frequent swaps which I've been doing lately.

Zipp ti is my current favorite. Very linear clamping force that doesn't require any rotation or further clamping force after fully closing. I think these are the lightest, no compromise qr skewers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

How do the Tune AC14's stack up? On the Litespeed, the Ti dropouts require a lot of clamping force. I had to stop midride to quell a creak from the rear wheel (DT Swiss 240 clamped down with KCNC). They were done up fairly tight already so I had to really lock them down to get rid of the click. Right now I'm considering picking up the DT RWS since I just don't want to deal with noises, but part of me dies inside putting such heavy skewers on.

stockae92

by stockae92

RyanH wrote:How do the Tune AC14's stack up? On the Litespeed, the Ti dropouts require a lot of clamping force. I had to stop midride to quell a creak from the rear wheel (DT Swiss 240 clamped down with KCNC). They were done up fairly tight already so I had to really lock them down to get rid of the click. Right now I'm considering picking up the DT RWS since I just don't want to deal with noises, but part of me dies inside putting such heavy skewers on.

I would prefer a skewer that works over light weight.

My KCNC Ti on BH carbon frame works fine so far.

RyanH

by RyanH

As mentioned above, I was using KCNC Ti and they were creaking. Granted, I was able to get them to stop by re-clamping the snot out of them, but with the amount of effort that goes into putting them on and then subsequently taking them off, I might as well just run bolt ons.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I use a set of Controltech race light skewers. The downside is that you need the little wrench tool!

http://www.controltechbikes.com/accessories.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evan326

by evan326

Then it isn't a QR is it?

jorisee01

by jorisee01

evan326 wrote:Then it isn't a QR is it?

Nope. They are really slow!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Carbon ti titanoum skewers seem pretty good at 39g so do my cheap ebay Ti skewers at 37g.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

After reading this topic, i got myself a set of AX lightness.
It weight 43g for the set and lock well but the axle rod are quite long, too long by a little bit more than a cm on the rear on my rim brake road bike. i'm thinking about cutting it down by half cm so it should still work on disc brake bike in the future but not being way too long for now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TheDarkInstall wrote:Here is the video, regarding the problem.

I compare Dura Ace and Aliens4 skewers...

:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZvZefu-6Mg

So I've had it with the slipping problem with the Aliens 4. I've switched to my stock Campy front skewer that came with the Bora 50's. The Campy QR passed the slipped test. I just cannot make the Campy QR slip. I wonder if the slipping issue with the Aliens 4 is due to the butted titanium rod or the small aluminum washer/nut. Now I've gained quite a bit of weight....from 19g to 57g. Ouch!! I don't have a slipping problem with the rear and I don't know why. I've left the Aliens 4 rear QR on for now, so I've got to unmatched QRs.