Lightest QR that actually works well?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jimborello

by jimborello

I tried POP but they were a pain in the ass because of the size of the cam, and after a while the front one started creaking, so I went back to Campagnolo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

I posted some time ago, but my favourites remain the Bold Precision and Heylight TI. Have tried loads of others, but these clamp really well.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

After using Extralite Aliens4 for a few weeks, I have found an issue with them. Currently making a video to explain exactly what this is, and will post when done.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have the Aliens 4 and the only issue I found is that the front skewer has weaker clamping force than the rear. Sometimes I find the front wheel has moved a bit in the dropout. The front skewer uses a butted Ti rod and it's visibly thinner than the rear rod. So what I do now is clamp down the front with a bit more force and it seems to be OK. I weigh 62kg. Heavier riders might have an issue with the front skewer.

Kongbop

by Kongbop

I'm using Tune DC14 for several years. (34~35g)
There are no problems with it.

davidw

by davidw

I bought a pair of the Tune Skyline 'MTB' skewers off of RyanH. These come in at 23g without the tool and still under 30g with the the tool. The road ones are a few grams lighter but with aluminum axles instead of titanium. Done a few rides on them and can't see any quantifiable issues yet. If you can snag them on the cheap then they're rad! Added security benefit too, since its not actually a QR.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

A big warning for the Tune U20 road QRs! I have had these for just a couple of rides from new. I started to hear a subtle creaking noise on my latest rides, and suspected that the headset was the culprit.

Today when mashing in a higher gear and putting in a punch standing up on a steep uphill grade my rear wheel came loose so the the tire rubbed the left chainstay to a sudden complete stop. It turned out the rear QR was loose. I tighten it several times to no awail. Instead it got longer and longer!

As you can see on the pics the metal "tubes" on both front and rear QRs have been pulled out from their positions. Next thing would have been complete failure of the QRs!

Now back to the Campy standard QRs and not look back! No more lightweight QRs for me...!Image

mrgray

by mrgray

wow @JKolmo - that is a bit scary. of course many people posting here are doing fine with various skewers including some very light weight ones. having had an accident though i feel very good these days knowing i have very secure and hopefully quite reliable skewers on the bike. i am sure you will feel a bit the same after what sounds like a bit of a near miss.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

BRM

by BRM

JKolmo wrote:
As you can see on the pics the metal "tubes" on both front and rear QRs have been pulled out from their positions. Next thing would have been complete failure of the QRs! [/img]

Definitely contact the shop where you bought them.
Maybe its part of a wrong batch but I'm sure Tune like to know this.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I avoided carbon and aluminum rods so I ended with the Aliens 4 with butted titanium rods. But because of the butted titanium rod on the front is a bit on the thin side I did find the front one easy to get out of position like what's shown on the Youtube video. In my case I had the skewer clamped down too loose. All I did was to put a bit of extra clamping pressure and all is good now. My clamping pressure is nowhere near the one shown in the Youtube video. However I only weigh 62kg. I don't sprint but I do climb out of the saddle. I imagine heavier and more powerful riders will have issue with the Aliens front skewer. Likewise I imagine all skewers with carbon or aluminum rods will have similar issue, and quite possibly even worse than the Aliens4!

Out of curiosity I measure the rod diameter and weight of the Aliens 4 and Dura Ace skewers. The Aliens 4 is 1/3 the weight of the Dura Ace!!

D.A. 5mm steel 127 grams.
Aliens 4 3.8mm titanium (both front and rear) 39 grams.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

JKolmo wrote:A big warning for the Tune U20 road QRs! I have had these for just a couple of rides from new. I started to hear a subtle creaking noise on my latest rides, and suspected that the headset was the culprit.

Woah, this one was enough to put me off buying these for my light build :shock:

On the other hand, I've used 3 sets of Tune DC14's since 2011, including some gravel and cobble racing, without any major problems except one user error case - clamped the rear too weak in 2012, and it did come loose, luckily without any consequences for me. Since that case, I always double check, and so far without any repeated incidents.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

pdlpsher1 wrote:However I only weigh 62kg.

I weigh 64kg. This is not an issue with how much you weigh; it is an issue with the QR not clamping adequately for its' intended task.

Also, you have seen how much force I put through the bike in the video. Less than will be exerted in real riding. And you have seen how tight I had the skewer. Go through the same test and tell me honestly that yours doesn't slip, or better still make a video like I did. I can't see how clamping with less force than I did, your Aliens4 are not slipping.

For the record, I tested the Extralite Streeters in the same way. They slipped too.

reknop

by reknop

pdlpsher1 wrote:I avoided carbon and aluminum rods so I ended with the Aliens 4 with butted titanium rods. But because of the butted titanium rod on the front is a bit on the thin side I did find the front one easy to get out of position like what's shown on the Youtube video. In my case I had the skewer clamped down too loose. All I did was to put a bit of extra clamping pressure and all is good now. My clamping pressure is nowhere near the one shown in the Youtube video. However I only weigh 62kg. I don't sprint but I do climb out of the saddle. I imagine heavier and more powerful riders will have issue with the Aliens front skewer. Likewise I imagine all skewers with carbon or aluminum rods will have similar issue, and quite possibly even worse than the Aliens4!

Out of curiosity I measure the rod diameter and weight of the Aliens 4 and Dura Ace skewers. The Aliens 4 is 1/3 the weight of the Dura Ace!!

D.A. 5mm steel 127 grams.
Aliens 4 3.8mm titanium (both front and rear) 39 grams.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Happy to hear that with some extra tension the front wheel doen't move anymore.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TheDarkInstall wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:However I only weigh 62kg.

I weigh 64kg. This is not an issue with how much you weigh; it is an issue with the QR not clamping adequately for its' intended task.

Also, you have seen how much force I put through the bike in the video. Less than will be exerted in real riding. And you have seen how tight I had the skewer. Go through the same test and tell me honestly that yours doesn't slip, or better still make a video like I did. I can't see how clamping with less force than I did, your Aliens4 are not slipping.

For the record, I tested the Extralite Streeters in the same way. They slipped too.

Understood. Were you able to make the wheel slip while riding? I haven't been able too. I only noticed the slippage after I laid the bike down on some grass, and when I lifted the bike up some grass got caught in the spokes. When I tried to ride it I noticed the front brake was rubbing. I have never managed to have the front wheel slip from riding. I check the brake centering before every ride and it's been perfect.

So if the side force from riding isn't large enough to make the wheel slip then perhaps it's not an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com