Lightest QR that actually works well?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I had one of my Far and Near ones snap at the cam/lever point the other day. :( Glad there were extra wheels in the support van. I like my skewers snug but didn't think I was being excessive with them.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Oops. Did it snap while operating the lever or during a ride?

Did the titanium rod fail or the aluminum parts?

How old were they?

Thanks!

AJS914

by AJS914

evan326 wrote:I just got a set of Zipp Ti Aero skewers at 69.2g for the set. So far so good.

Those are my favorite skewers but they aren't the newer "aero" model. I have an aero set as well and they work just as well except they don't have the nice flat lever and hurt your hand more.

I agree with others on the Zipps. They are a quality, reasonably light weight skewer. I figure that Zipp wouldn't put crappy skewers on their $2000+ wheels.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

AJS914 wrote:
evan326 wrote:I just got a set of Zipp Ti Aero skewers at 69.2g for the set. So far so good.

Those are my favorite skewers but they aren't the newer "aero" model. I have an aero set as well and they work just as well except they don't have the nice flat lever and hurt your hand more.

I agree with others on the Zipps. They are a quality, reasonably light weight skewer. I figure that Zipp wouldn't put crappy skewers on their $2000+ wheels.

Agreed on the Zipps, too. I got the Ti Aero, they have the flat handle. I've also tried the Tune's and the KCNC. I didn't like the locking action of the Tune's at all. The locking action on the KCNC is better, but the Zipps feel really secure, are reasonably well priced (especially compared to the Tune's), and light. At least, light enough for the Zipps. Not quite as light as the other two but the locking action and sense of security is so much better, to me it's worth it.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Marin wrote:Oops. Did it snap while operating the lever or during a ride?

How old were they?

Thanks!

Tightening the skewer after a flat, the aluminum arm broke at the machining step.
Using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

Nefarious86 wrote:
Marin wrote:Oops. Did it snap while operating the lever or during a ride?

How old were they?

Thanks!

Tightening the skewer after a flat, the aluminum arm broke at the machining step.

Thanks - so it failed in a way that wouldn't have created a risk during riding I guess!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Unfortunately I'm now using the heavy Campy QRs with steel rods. The Aliens 4 cannot grip the front wheel tightly such that my front wheels is constantly going off-center. The Campy QRs have no such issue and the front wheel remains on-center. I guess there's a good reason why Shimano and Campy don't attempt to save weight on QRs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Sat May 27, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

pdlpsher1 wrote:The Aliens 4 cannot grip the front wheel tightly such that my front wheels is constantly going off-center.

Ha, I knew it wasn't just me having this issue.

sethjs

by sethjs

Have the tune AC14 skewers on all my bikes. Fantastic. Light. Internal cam. Never any mechanical issues with them.

2lo8

by 2lo8

What wheels are you guys using? I would think wheel slippage has just as much to do with locknuts/endcaps as it does with the skewer.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Carbon ti skewers (39g) work well. I also have a set of token shark quick releases that work just fine (47g). I also have a set of ebay no name skewer (37g) that work well. Maybe i am lucky with skewers.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I know this sounds weird but the heavy QRs with steel rods and internal cams provide a stiffer and more solid feeling to the bike. I know it's a lot of weight penalty but I really do feel I can put the power down more effectively especially when I'm climbing out of the saddle. To each and his own...

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TheDarkInstall wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:The Aliens 4 cannot grip the front wheel tightly such that my front wheels is constantly going off-center.

Ha, I knew it wasn't just me having this issue.

Yup. I saw your video and I have the exact same issue. A slightest bump on the wheel knocks it off-center. Even if I don't touch the wheel it goes off-center after a ride. I weigh 62kg and I don't sprint.

Strangely I have a set of generic QRs with titanium rods and external cams on my tandem with no issues. So maybe the fork and wheel has something to do with it. The titanium rods on the tandem are not butted like those on the Aliens 4.

2lo8

by 2lo8

Butting might have some effect on retention, although I can't quantify how much. Even if you get the same static clamp force with both, the butted one should elongate more for the same forces acting on it, or require less force to elongate the same amount.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

For the same diameter rod, a steel rod in theory would have twice the clamping force than the titanium counterpart. Since the Aliens 4 front rod is butted to an extremely thin diameter, the difference would be even greater. Funny how the modulus of elasticity is exactly correlated to weight. Twice the modules of elasticity means twice the weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com