Lightest QR that actually works well?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Those threads are 1,3,4 and 4 years old, respectively. New stuff gets released.

B2B

Yawn.

Thanks to everyone else. Interesting that the Tune ones stand up to punishment. They are very light indeed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BRM

by BRM

These searchresults are the product of only one searchterm.
Just to show you this topic is already covered many times.

Till now I really have read nothing new in this topic.
In fact in the existing topics is more info than in this one. . . .

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Extralite streeters are my pick 29g and clamp strongly
tune DC14s are pretty awesome too or though i have a couple of customers who have found they come loose over time
not enough to fail but enough to be checked every now and then..

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I tried the Tune DC14's but don't like the clamping action. It's fiddly to get the right tension, and I am not confident they won't loosen while riding. Whenever I have had to change a wheel it takes me a while to get the lever to clamp right and securely. After getting a flat the other day and spending too much time fiddling with the Tune QR, I switched to a pair of KCNC Ti skewers I also had. I like the action of the KCNC much better and will stick with them.

AJS914

by AJS914

I like Zipp Ti skewers. You can often pick them up cheap on ebay.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I also vote for the extralite streeters but bang for buck is kcnc ti.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

As for doing searches; not only does new stuff get released, but older stuff can break or opinions change. And besides almost every topic has been discussed at least once already, so what do we do, just search not type?!

I've used bolt ons for years, with allen heads. Light, stiff, you can tighten them easily just as much as you like, and they are very aero. (Seriously!) and you get a degree of theft protection, not that i ever let my bike out of my sight....

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have several different light weight QR sets. All works great = no issues!
Some i bought from Ebay.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

KCNC Ti work well. Sometimes you have to push pretty hard on them though. :) Price to weight is outstanding.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

+1 more for Tune!

It makes light QR with fewer issues.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

mythical

by mythical

Wert Stick Shift QR's
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

stockae92

by stockae92

Sounds like KCNC Ti is a good bang for bucks that works, I am going to pick up a pair and give a try :)

mrgray

by mrgray

i had an experience the other day which is pertinent to this thread.

using extralite streeters on a steel fork on a new custom bike.

no lawyers lips.

after a 25 km ride i was crossing the street out the front of work. i rode down the gutter and was on the road, crossing it, riding at walking pace. on the other side i would have to jump up the gutter and i popped a mono in anticipation (practice i guess). much to my surprise my front wheel then came off. as i came down i sort of bounced the fork off the wheel, then went down for real onto the fork and over the bars. i was able to use a karate technique i learned as a child to absorb the impact (i landed on my face). crushed the helmet (kask vertigo: recommended) and didn't lose any teeth (yippee!). wheel rolled off as i lay sprawled.

so obviously i assumed that i am an idiot and hadn't clamped the skewer properly. however i happened to crash in front of the LBS. so took the bike straight in. they clamped it up and went to hang the bike on the FW to address later. wheel fell off.

i had used the skewer to great effect on my other bike but it certainly didn't seem to work with the steel custom fork too well. i do note that the streeter has a limited clamping area and in hindsight i have noted bearing noise when using it previously.

anyway today i get the stitches out (ended up having surgery under general at emergency for facial gashes). with time i've concluded i was pretty unlucky but also pretty lucky (could always have been worse if a car was involved).

3 things:
1. going down gutter might have flexed fork a bit and unclamped it - then again LBS demonstrates this was not necessarily required
2. happened to have 19 mm tyres on wheel and brakes set a bit wide - unusual setup for me and it meant brakes did nothing to hold wheel on as they would have if i had been on my usual 25 mm tyres and close set brakes
3. no lawyers lips (which i wasn't aware of)

anyway i'm understandably a bit traumatised and for the moment, over lightweight skewers. from now on it will be campagnolo and dura ace 9000.
Last edited by mrgray on Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

nobuseri

by nobuseri

I have both the Zipp and ENVE Ti skewer sets. Both work/clamp well, but I would pick the Zipp ones if I had to choose one of them.

As said earlier, they are usually on sale; I got mine new for like half off from Competitive Cyclist a long while ago.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com