Tri Rig OmegaX on Direct Mount Frames - Flex Concern

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

Has anyone mounted TriRig OmegaX brakes using their direct mount adapter? I'm concerned they're going to brake terribly with the amount of flex I can induce by hand. I don't want to compromise braking. Should I return them and get the ee Direct Mounts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0h1A_6DN1Q

Thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

Without making the answer obvious, forgot to add that the front came in at 147g without pads. :shock:

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Is this the adapter you are using? It seems pretty beefy to me. But honestly I'd rather to have the brakes designed as direct mounted brakes in the first place. I love my Dura Ace direct mounted brakes however they also weigh in at 149g each. I assume the 147g is with the adapter?

2lo8

by 2lo8

I think the flex most likely comes from the thin tabs where the screws are, not beefy at all. Worse yet, if there's noticeable flex because of it, that means it's a fairly major stress riser. Pure conjecture though. I'd have to agree that an adapter looks a little crude, but if you're going for aero, TR brakes are aero.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Aero for sure, but damn that looks average.

deek

by deek

Dang, that does seem like a lot of flex. Your brake pads are definitely going to apply a lot higher forces to your caliper than your hand can. I thought TriRig had a native direct mount version but I guess not.

These ee ones are pretty sweet, although I don't think I've seen any actual data showing if they're aero or not.

Edit: The Omega SV were the TriRig brakes I was thinking of but they wouldn't work for you.

2lo8

by 2lo8

Not that I have any FEA to back this up, but my gut says I would have designed it so the reinforcement would wrap around the screws, or basically just make that solid and countersink it for the heads and mill out some reliefs. It would also look a little less clumsy by hiding the silver screwheads and matching the diameter of the frame posts.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

RyanH

by RyanH

The SV's are discontinued.

@2lo8, your guess of where the flex comes from is probably right since the mounting bracket itself seems to be the item moving.

Hmm, I guess it's ee's then unless I can get the Dura Ace cheap enough.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

ee's are fantastic brakes. I have their standard versions on my Venge, and they are an engineering marvel. I would recommend them to anyone.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I got my Dura Ace for around $100 per caliper by shopping around. I ended up buying two calipers from two different outfits. Both had free shipping and I ended up saving money doing it this way.

The DA weighed 149g. with the pads. The front and rear ones are slightly different and you cannot interchange them. The feel is great and it does have a fairly small frontal profile. But of course they are boat anchors compared to the ee's :D

They were difficult to install and you have to be careful not to strip the nut in the fork.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Bumping this because I am building a Shiv Pro with a combination of Omega SV and X.

Originally I was planning on using the X up front, as it is claimed to have an improved wedge to increase leverage, plus the option to run it without the cable hanger down the road for a super minimalist front end.

After watching the video I may stick the SV's up front as they are native direct mount, and the X underneath the bottom bracket where the flex won't matter as much. Ideas?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com