ENVE SES 4.5 or Lightweight???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I still want a set of lightweight wheels. I've had an M3 and I want to experience Ferrari.
I thought it was all media talk about u-shaped wheels and crosswinds.
My local rides are mount wilson and Angeles Crest.. There are some winds that will blow V Shaped rims sideways, which I've yet to experience on Enve 4.5 rims. That was the first thing I noticed about U Shaped rims. They twitch, then they're back on line. Where as the V Shaped rims would blow sometimes feeling like the front wheel is getting ready to sweep away from you. Almost like a lift off the road.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

Ghost234

by Ghost234

cyclespeed wrote:
If you want to spend big money on wheels, in my opinion, the Lightweights are special. The Enves are not. Take off the Enve badge and they could be from any of about 20 manufacturers out there.

I used to think this way too, however my opinion has changed in the last year. I've had a set of Enve 3.4 for about 18 months, but recently got to demo a few sets from Zipp and Roval. I could tell the difference right away between them. The Enve's just felt much more planted on the ground and seemed to hold true better over bumps and in turns.

In terms of speed differences... I don't know. But I definitely preferred the way the Enve's felt compared to the competition.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

Lightweights are vastly superior, and much more so in Europe with the current exchange rates, as compared to Enve.
Enve are $1500 wheels that somehow manage to cost $3000+ and are often lauded by wheelbuilders, (they also happen to provide the largest margin for wheelbuilders, so you tell me where the incentive lies).

Lighweights are $5,000 wheels that can be had for $3000 or less in Europe.

Despite the odd horror stories that invariably pop up on forums, the truth is that Lightweights are incredibly durable wheels, and many of us have used them daily for almost a decade without failures.

Basically, if you have the pleasure to actually ride on Lightweights, you wouldn;t have to ask this question.