CeramicSpeed BB - really worth it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

reknop

by reknop

Kayrehn wrote:
AJS914 wrote:The whole thing about people being delighted by a fast spinning crank is snake oil. It doesn't translate to gains at 75-120rpms. Even that UK vendor's chart posted above said the benefit was .2 watts. First, being a vendor claim makes it suspect and second, .2 watts is nothing, and third, if you want to pay $350 for a bottom bracket then you drank the coolaid.

I packed my Super Record Cult bearings with grease because there's no reason not to, they will be better protected, and I didn't want to have to oil my bottom bracket every three months.

^ I do read numerous articles saying free-spinning cranks are no indicator of reduced watts but just thought it's a given for ceramic BBs. I didn't get it for the watt savings actually (actually it's for weight savings ha) so that doesn't matter. Didn't install it myself anyway.

Well

My Canyon Ultimate CF SLX is equipped with a Shimano BB92-41B Pressfitt 86,5 Road bottom bracket. The plastic cups of this press fit bottom bracket started to release from the frame, providing 1 or 2 mm. between the cup edge and the frame. James Huang BikeRadar article “I’ve had it with press-fit bottom brackets” in which he covers tolerances, used materials and silencing creaky noises, came with two applicable take-aways:

1. Ditch the plastic cups;
2. Minimize the adapters;

I went for C-Bear because of the aluminium cups, the value for money, customer-driven company with good vision. C-Bear has a long term sponsorship with Lotto Soudal, Wanty Group Gobert so if a C-Bear can withstand the punishment of Andre Greipel, than it's certainly good enough for me. :)

http://www.remo-knops.com/5417/c-bear-b ... bb86-bb92/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

ergott

by ergott

wingguy wrote:It would be interesting to see a chart of how power savings stack up when you put them together - because you sure as hell can't buy all the stuff on that list and save 100 watts!

You take that back!

:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

I've been on the same set of VCRC ceramic bearings for 4-5 years now (BB30).
I just blow them out with WD40 once a year and repack with Phil wood grease. That is not the recommended procedure, but has seemed to work. They really do give that "infinite spin" impression when nice a clean. But I am skeptical that they really create a measurable increase in available power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfFFHffsxxk

http://www.vcrcbike.com/VCRC_Ceramic_Sh ... manobb.htm

AUOC1OC6

by AUOC1OC6

I thought this thread was asking about experience on CS bearings and kept reading these threads offering advices on other bearings used. It was like asking for drive report on a Ferrari and people offering their advise on their Miata or Toyota. Cars all looks the same but performs differently. Same with ceramic bearings. Don't forget the cost manufacturing for CS in Denmark vs cost of manufacturing of other Ceramic bearings in TaiChung, Taiwan.
AUOC1OC6
--------------------
AX Lightness Vial Evo D http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=138599
Corima Puma
Giant MCR 2 (retired)
Trek Y Glide Deluxe MTB

stormur

by stormur

So answering directly initial Q : NO, they're not worth it. Other manufacturers do it cheaper and -perhaps- maybe better. There's still no reliable data for direct comparison.

Manufacturing cost is manufacturer issue, not client. Place of production does not guarantee quality, but can increase production cost of any product.

Client is interested in price vs performance. If gets same performance for lower price from other manufacturer, that's mean this particular product of certain manufacturer is overpriced , or underperformer . Being over 3 times more expensive should radically outperform competitors, but it doesn't . So you have your answer :)

Best in cycling bearings, made in Germany , used and branded by Campagnolo ( CULT ) cost around 100-120€ for pair. With manufacturer, Campagnolo,regional dealer and shop margin. And 20% of VAT. And delivery. This answers your question as well I believe :mrgreen:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

DaReef

by DaReef

It's all relative. I'm no where near marginal gain territory but I love the feel of cermicspeed BBs. My Tarmac came with one and like it so much I had one installed on the Allez Sprint build.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

DaReef wrote:It's all relative. I'm no where near marginal gain territory but I love the feel of cermicspeed BBs. My Tarmac came with one and like it so much I had one installed on the Allez Sprint build.

I have an Sworks with CeramicSpeed as standard too. What is it you like about the 'feel' so much?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

AUOC1OC6 wrote:I thought this thread was asking about experience on CS bearings and kept reading these threads offering advices on other bearings used. It was like asking for drive report on a Ferrari and people offering their advise on their Miata or Toyota. Cars all looks the same but performs differently. Same with ceramic bearings. Don't forget the cost manufacturing for CS in Denmark vs cost of manufacturing of other Ceramic bearings in TaiChung, Taiwan.

I think you got it backwards. The OP asked for a report on a Toyota and others offered advice to buy a Ferrari :D

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Ceramic bearings on a bike is hilarious

No advantage whatsoever, cost loads more than steel, die faster etc.

The fact that companies like ceramic speed sell ceramic headset bearings should tell you all you need to know about these bullshitters.

Froome has won the Tour de France 3 times on a steel BB and steel cup and ball wheelbearings.

stormur

by stormur

True. And Shimano BB bearings are not famous for easy spin, aren't they ?

Ceramic's lifespan... Campagnolo users doesn't have any issues with that ;) not in hubs, not on cranks. C-bear ( fabulous bearings in extremely precisely machined cups, I'm not supported /unfortunately / ) gives 2y "no questions" warranty... so maybe this "Ferrari" is just...Fiat priced like Ferrari ? ;) just a thought :mrgreen:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

wingguy wrote:It would be interesting to see a chart of how power savings stack up when you put them together - because you sure as hell can't buy all the stuff on that list and save 100 watts!

Haha, this is a bloody good point.

bikerbooy

by bikerbooy

I think BB bearing should be the last you should change for seramic,why,beacouse there's only 2. First change hubs bearings for ceramic (6pcs),than go to BB.

I know,you can buy ceramic headset bearings,but that wont save your watts.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

bikerbooy wrote:I know,you can buy ceramic headset bearings,but that wont save your watts.

It won't even see one single full rotation during it's life time.

And look at this...

"The CeramicSpeed Headset provides you with enhanced steering quality, extended lifetime and increased resistance to corrosion. Thanks to the high quality CeramicSpeed components, the CeramicSpeed Headset bearings have 3-5 times longer lifetime than steel bearings."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

No.

Delorre

by Delorre

TheDarkInstall wrote:
bikerbooy wrote:I know,you can buy ceramic headset bearings,but that wont save your watts.

It won't even see one single full rotation during it's life time.

And look at this...

"The CeramicSpeed Headset provides you with enhanced steering quality, extended lifetime and increased resistance to corrosion. Thanks to the high quality CeramicSpeed components, the CeramicSpeed Headset bearings have 3-5 times longer lifetime than steel bearings."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

No.

Maybe, but I guess that once the bike develops even the least amount of play in the headset, those ceramic bearing will be shot within a few rides, if not sooner. Those balls doesn't resist impacts very well at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

TheDarkInstall wrote:Froome has won the Tour de France 3 times on a steel BB and steel cup and ball wheelbearings.

But not the same BB :wink: