power2max crankset choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

commendatore

by commendatore

I'm finally prepared to add power on the road and am leaning pretty heavily toward power2max. Not without complications, here is my situation: I primarily race cross and ride a lot of mountain bikes, as such, I'm still on kind of a cheap road frame. With a new child this year, things are probably going to stay that way for a bit, although in the next 18 months I hope to be moving on. My current frame is BSA, whatever replacement I move to will almost certainly be PF30 (right?).

I have a gxp force22 crankset available from a friend, and at some point down the road this power meter could theoretically move to a sram crankset on a cx bike, or even onto a new PF30 sram crankset should I buy a full sram group for a new frame.

Is it worth looking at some of the other options like Rotor? Are the rotor bsa30 bottom brackets worth considering in this somewhat temporary road frame? In total, I'm looking a +$100 to go with rotor 3d 30 & +$200 to move to 3d+

I have a feeling I'm overthinking this...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Rotor will certainly give you a lot of options moving forward - your new frame might be BB86, BB90, PF30, BB386EVO, BB30, BB30A and possibly a few others that I've missed.

The longer spindle length options (Rotor, GXP, BB386evo) will allow fitment to the majority of these standards (I would say all but you never know what they will come out with next). I used a Rotor P2M on a BSA frame but used a FirstComponents BSA30 BB and found it excellent. No noticeable drag and great longevity. I'm now using the cranks in a BB86 frame, again with no issue apart from finding a good quality BB (I'm using Hope bearings).

I can wholeheartedly recommend both the Rotor cranks and the P2M, I've had no issues with mine (3D+ and classic) to date.

*Tip - stay away from RaceFace BB's. Yes they are for 30mm spindles but they run slightly wider than other options and will bind with Rotor cranks unless you remove the preload collar and run spacers. The bearings are also rubbish and most likely won't last more than a couple of months.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

The cheapest FSA version is great and - unlike Rotors - requires no work at all to remain creaking-free. More robust for contact with ruts and stones a as well. Coating wears off though, so you may want to add some protection (that said, every crank suffers on a CX and with overshoes during winter).

elzilcho

by elzilcho

I have the Power2Max Type S with FSA Gossamer cranks, 110 bcd for BSA. It has worked perfectly and I would highly recommend, especially for the price.

I think the best choice for spindle would be BSA. You can use it with your current bike and almost any over sized bb given the correct adapter.

eric01

by eric01

I have a power2max with rotor 3D+. Nothing but positives about it. Light enough and stiff enough for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Arph

by Arph

Some old topic digging, so as not to create yet another one on P2M.

I am considering a P2M NG Eco for a heavy metal bike with a BSA bottom bracket shell, and don't want to spend too much.

The one with "Granfondo" crank arms is €540, and the Rotor "P2M Edition" is €590. The Rotor one seems to be a regular Vegast 24 crankset, but I can't find anything on the "Granfondo" cranks. Any idea what they are and who makes them ?

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Arph wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:01 am
Some old topic digging, so as not to create yet another one on P2M.

I am considering a P2M NG Eco for a heavy metal bike with a BSA bottom bracket shell, and don't want to spend too much.

The one with "Granfondo" crank arms is €540, and the Rotor "P2M Edition" is €590. The Rotor one seems to be a regular Vegast 24 crankset, but I can't find anything on the "Granfondo" cranks. Any idea what they are and who makes them ?
The p2m Edition crank is similar to the rotor Vegast, 36 gr heavier and the aluminum is Forged 6082 aluminum

Arph

by Arph

Yes, my question regarded the "Granfondo" arms. Besides the fact that I find them ugly AF, there's no information on them what so ever.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Arph wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:01 am
Probably some generic Chinese OEM only crankset to bring the entry level price down? The overall shape looks pretty similar to SRAM NX, while the front looks more like FSA Gossamer.

Arph

by Arph

Godd call on the Sram, just noticed on P2M website that the spider is said to be for "Sram / Praxis / TA".

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Arph wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:18 pm
Godd call on the Sram, just noticed on P2M website that the spider is said to be for "Sram / Praxis / TA".

That has nothing to do with the design or origin of the GF cranks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Arph

by Arph

Nope, just the fact that it is based on the Sram spider interface.