Help building my son a racing bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

My 14 year old son started racing in the last month and is already competing for the top 10 in our province (state). Most of the races here are 30km road races or 30 minute crits. He's 6'1 and will most likely be 6'4. After our first race I quickly realized his gear is not even on the same level as any of the other racers and we decided to put him on my old 56cm 2014 Carbon 3 Synapse, the bike has Ultegra on it and Mavic Aksium wheels. Rules in our area state at his age and the age group above he can't have more then 40mm wheels.

Here is my question with a 2000$ budget am I better buying him a new frame something more race/aero which he might outgrow by next year (most people think he should be on a 58 already) or do I keep this bike for this year and upgrade the wheels, his gears are 10 speed ultegra does buying 11 speed wheels an issue and putting them on with a spacer?

I am seeking recommendations on wheels or frames and what I should do.

I know I dont have the keep up with the Jones but I want to invest a bit in him as he loves it so much.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

He's 6'1" and 14 years old. Still growing. First and foremost, get him a frame that is closer to fitting him than your 56 Synapse. I haven't seen him, but from all accounts from most people that you know, and I would likely agree without even seeing him, a 58 would seem more reasonable, just looking at Supersix geometry. Start there. Maybe he'll outgrow it by next year, but he's already outgrown the 56 that you're putting him on now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tinozee

by tinozee

I would let him figure it out to be honest. I mean, let him have a budget and check out his choices, but at that age I would already buy and build my race bikes.

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

Btw I am not sold to any brand, I have a Trek Madone, my bucket list bike is a Colnago. I am open to all frames. I am reading that stiffness helps for accelerations and I think that is probably one of the biggest issues outside of the Geo he is seeing in his races as they have a lot of curves.

I will talk to my son and see what he wants but he is such an easy kid he will find a way to be happy with whatever he has.

I'm curious have you guys seen the bikes these kids have at these state/provincial levels? In the top 50 kids I might of seen 5-8 aluminum wheelsets all the others car 30-40mm carbon wheels. I thought hockey was expensive, cycling parents are spending way more $$$.

Any aero frame recommendations or what is the best wheelset for about 2000$ I can get him to help shave precious few seconds.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

I personally find it crazy the level of equipment kids are riding these days. Some bikes I see them on would retail for $10k+
IMO at any amateur level the engine makes a much bigger difference than the equipment. Plenty of people are winning Cat 1,2,3 races on sub $2000 builds, so as long as the bike fits and isn't a complete klunker I'd say let him ride the crap out of it.

If you really want to treat him to an upgrade, look into good condition used equipment. Racing is known for crashes and breaking components, plus used parts can be had for much better deals.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

wpccrunner wrote: If you really want to treat him to an upgrade, look into good condition used equipment. Racing is known for crashes and breaking components, plus used parts can be had for much better deals.

Agree with above - look for something second hand like a Specialized Venge, Cannondale Supersix or CAAD10, Cervelo S3 or S5 etc. If he can only race 40mm wheels I wouldn't rush to buy a set of carbon race hoops just yet. Maybe invest in some excellent hubs (King, WI ect) and build to a nice wide mid depth aluminium rim (Pacenti SL3, Kinlin XR31T). He will have these wheels for a long time and won't loose out too much in terms of aerodynamics. Once he can race on something deeper and wants to upgrade these wheels will make a perfect set of everyday/training wheels.

Not sure if it's something you are already looking at, but definitely invest in a good bike fit. Use the results to go second hand frame/bike shopping and have at it. As he's still growing you might have to go in for little tweaks but it will give him a great base line for the future.

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

Are you willing to part out/sell of parts of or the full existing bike you passed down to him? I'm sure it would easily fetch 1400-1600 pretty quick if you posted it for sale. with 3400-3600 you could buy a dream bike in the 58-60cm range for him with a top level group and carbon wheels on here, on eBay, or locally without much effort at all..... I'd definitely buy used. I do and I'm not even still growing. Let someone else take the depreciation hit...

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The aero bike with the most bang for the buck? A Fuji Transonic. I think they have a build just right for your son and wallet.

Don't overlook the shoes. It's an important part of the overall power transmission system.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Here's the Ultegra Transonic build for $2,440. 105 is $540 cheaper.

Image1466404479.824045.jpg

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

A new frame is what your son probably needs the most. The crbn frames get mentoned the most, but what happend to the old and trusty board favorite the CAAD 10?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

I think I will listen to all of you and take him in for a bike fit.

Question for short time races like this sub 30kms mostly flats what would be your recommendation on bike? The Cervelo S3?

c50jim

by c50jim

Interesting series of questions and comments. I went through the whole growing business with a son who was a provincial and national champion in the junior ranks 10-12 years ago.

As someone the same height as your son is now, I'd agree that the 56 cm bike is probably too small. So, I"d consider looking for a relatively inexpensive upsizing on the used market. Lots of people try cycling and don't last so there are bargains on provincial association or local shop websites. For your $2,000 or maybe less you could probably find a really good bike in the 58 cm range. I really wouldn't worry about aero at this stage because he's going to need another bike next year or the year after from the sound of it. Also, when I count the ruined frames I had to replace, I'd go with used aluminum or cheap carbon rather than worrying about aero and the latest and greatest. My son won TT nationals by something like 25 seconds on a P3SL even though the kid who'd won the year before had upgraded to a P3 carbon the year my son won. That P3SL was destroyed at worlds and replaced by a Look. When the Look was destroyed at Hood River, we found another, used P3SL to go to Pan Am games because the P3SL just worked for him. See this wrecked bike theme - in his final year, he broke his road, TT and track frames, all good carbon frames. Fit is more important than material, aero or even weight as long as you're in the ballpark on that one.

As for carbon wheels for kids, I'd avoid those like the plague. At local races, the rewards are too slim to justify the cost of carbon wheels. I had to replace lots of wheels, including carbon once we got those at the end of my son's career (last year of junior and his one year at U23 before injuries ended his career). If your son is that big, he will probably be a power rider so strength under power will be important. If you go to carbon, keep them in the wheel bags for crits. Just too many crashes in those races and not enough places where the aerodynamics of carbon wheels can affect the result.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

Thank you, you've really given me some good food for thought. We did see 3 frames get destroyed this weekend...