New pedals, LOOK or Speedplay?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AZR3

by AZR3

I'll give my endorsement for Keywin pedals. I have two pair and the older one has about 33k miles and is quiet and spins like it did when new. The second pair has about 5k miles and started to tick and needed to be re-greased but thats the only issue I've had. The original pair has survived 3 nasty crashes where the cleats were ripped out of the pedals as I went flying and even after that the only thing that Ive replaced was a pair of cleats (months and maybe 2k miles after my last crash).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

For what it's worth, I don't find Speedplay cleats to be particular fiddly. I've been using X cleats since they first came out in '89 or '90 and never had issues. Keep the cleat reasonably clean, lube the cleats or pedal bodies with White Lightning to keep a smooth rotational float, and grease the axles periodically. Done. My right knee needs the free float of the X. The Zero at full rotation or Light Actions don't float quite as much. And the Frogs work great too -- I use them on my touring bike and mtb (when using clipless pedals), and sometimes on my road bike if I know I'm going to be doing a bunch of walking.

I haven't used Look pedals so can't compare. I used Time when they first came out, liked them but like the Speedplays even better when they came out and I've stuck with them.

Liggero

by Liggero

Speedplay, for road or mtb.
Happy Trails !!!

kode54

by kode54

never had any issues with Speedplay. easy to service and maintain. you can find lighter Ti spindles and swap them out for WW. bearings are also easy to replace and several places sell total bearing kits for less than what Speedplay sells them for. other replacement parts like bow ties and bolts are easy to replace.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

reknop

by reknop

BRM wrote:Why does this info need to be rewrite again?
Look up the topics around these two pedal systems and you will become aware of the pros and cons.

Speedplay is highly adjustable
Especially useful with people with foot, knee and leg problems.
Easy to change the spindle lenght.
To work with shims.
To adjust in and outwards float to your like

But expensive in maintenance and requires more maintenance than others.
Then there is the famous rocking problem after some use.

When you are looking for a nonsense free/ robust pedal, buy Shimano Dura Ace

I've transferred to Speedplay when Time discontinued its famous Time Equipe Pro Magnesium pedals. In one year I did change 3 pairs of the Equipe Pro successor, all due to play in the axle and ended up with a painful left knee. I liked the switch to Speedplay every since ... I still have the set running smoothly after 13+ years.

Positioning the cleat accurately is more simple on a Speedplay pedal, you can change each degree of freedom individually. I'm using an Ergon TP1 cleat tool for that matter. :) http://www.remo-knops.com/5149/ergon-tp ... eo-pedals/ Indeed a little more maintenance is required, but the system is -from a mechanical- point of view pretty simple and provides a lot of fine-tuning options.

I would seriously consider the Shimano Dura Ace pedal as well, which comes with a good set of pedal bearings and has a similar no-nonsense mechanical design. Advantage over the Speedplay's is the less maintenance. I would never go for Look, from the old days on those pedals were always making funny noises.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I use the Ergon cleat tool to adjust my spd-sl cleats. It works wonderfully.

reknop

by reknop

BdaGhisallo wrote:I use the Ergon cleat tool to adjust my spd-sl cleats. It works wonderfully.

Yes it's a great tool, especially if it can increase ergonomics and avoid pain. :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

PLuKE

by PLuKE

Thanks for the input.

I think I shall dismiss Speedplay's.

I have been reading about the Dura Ace pedals and you guys recommend them too.

What are the bearings like in the LOOK Keo 2 Blade compared to the Dura Ace?

I don't want noises from any of the pedal/cleats either :roll:

Thanks

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Dura Ace pedal bearings? You won't find better. Dura Ace pedals are without a doubt the most trouble free pedals available.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

^^^^^^^^

Pretty much.