New pedals, LOOK or Speedplay?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I think it's time to replace my TIME Xpresso pedals, they have done me well, but there's a good amount of play in the axle now.

I was looking at LOOK Keo 2 Blade and Speedplays

I want something as light at the Xpresso, including hardware.

Some of the reviews on Speedplay haven't been great, with cleat and pedal entry when dirty awful and walking in the coffee shop is dangerous as there metal cleats, exclude the covers.

Any info on the LOOK and Speedplay will be great, include the pedal and hardware weights

:thumbup:

Luke

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ArtV

by ArtV

Are you only interested in Look or Speedplay?

I just bought a pair of Xpedos (Thrust 8 TI) and so far, love them. They are light (170g with a 180 pound weight limit), spin very freely on three cartridge bearings, are easy to get into and out of and didn't break the bank. Also, they make absolutely no noise which I was a potential concern with the Looks.

http://www.xpedo.com/products/pedals/road/90/thrust-8-ti

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I am interested in both Speedily and LOOK.

So peoples views will always be mixed, but pro's and con's for both pedals.

Thanks
Luke

Rick

by Rick

Well, pedals seem to elicit strong opinions.

I had very bad luck with the Look Keo Blade 2. There are separate threads on the details if you SEARCH.
If you like the Look-style clip-in philosophy, then Shimano has a much better reputation. (I am now using Dura Ace and Ultegras)

But I was also a long-time Speedplay user and I still think they are fine if you feel like you need float.

sungod

by sungod

i've used speedplay zero for 5-6 years, not had any issues, fitted to both race and commute bikes, both get ridden in all weathers with a lot of very wet days, it is important o grease/lube every so often

all pedals have pros/cons, for me the single biggest plus with the zeros is the ability to fine tune the float exactly where i need it to avoid knee problems

until now, i've used only the normal zero cleats, but i just put the walkable/aero cleats on my new shoes (forgot to weigh them :oops: ), i'd been put off these by the initial reviews where some reported issues with the covers falling off, but i got spare set of covers and noticed speedplay includes a list of things to do/not do with them, presumably this helps reduce problems

i did find the cleat buddies dropped out with little provocation, probably best saved for times you know you'll be stepping in dirt/gravel/sand

on the plus side, if they did get filled up with dirt it looks like they'll be easier to flush out than the standard cleats

the cleats themselves are stripped down vs. the standard zeros, no wear plate, without the covers i think they'd get chewed up fast

same adjustment range, it feels slightly different clipping in as contact with the aero cover doesn't give the same feel as contact with the wear plate

as with all zero cleats, if you use any shims/wedges be prepared to use different length screws, the ones supplied with the walkable cleats are very short, i think they'll only work with the three-hole adaptor plate, my new shoes are four-hole and i use a shim on one side and wedges on both

the screws from the shim pack were ok on the side with shims+wedges, the slightly shorter screws from the sole protector pack were ok for the side with just wedges (i guess i could leave off the protectors, but they do preserve the wedges which are harder to get old of)

the standard zero cleats with the coffee shop covers are a bit easier to walk on and certainly more robust, but the aero ones save carrying the covers and fitting/removing them

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

PLuKE wrote:I think it's time to replace my TIME Xpresso pedals, they have done me well, but there's a good amount of play in the axle now.

Some of the reviews on Speedplay haven't been great, with cleat and pedal entry when dirty awful and walking in the coffee shop is dangerous as there metal cleats, exclude the covers.

Any info on the LOOK and Speedplay will be great, include the pedal and hardware weights

Luke

Another option is to simply change the bearings in the Xpresso pedals, you can even take out the nylon bushes and replace them with bearings as well. It takes about ten minutes a pedal. Replacing the bushes with bearings makes a significant difference to these pedals.

krusty

by krusty

The Look/Speedplay choice comes down to what type of entry you prefer. I was an early adopter of the Time pedals back in the '80s, and I got used to the forward "kick" required of the Time and Look pedals. I used Speedplay Frogs for off road, and loved them. Then I tried the Speedplay Road pedals, and despite giving them an entire season, I gave up on them. Why? Zero net weight benefit when you include pedal/cleats, unbelievably finicky cleats (precise torque required or they deform and won't engage) that seemed to prefer certain shoes over others, cleats that required almost daily maintenance, and cleats that required covers the instant you placed them on the ground, lest you grind a small amount of dirt into the lubricated circlip, making it almost impossible to re-engage when getting back on.

In short, I think they have been masters at marketing the "USA-made" over the years, people like the look of the pedals on their bike, and people who have never tried clipless buy into the hype and get used to the ham-fisted "stomp" style engagement as it is the first thing they try. I got used to the Time/Look engagement, as it was the first thing I tried.

BRM

by BRM

Why does this info need to be rewrite again?
Look up the topics around these two pedal systems and you will become aware of the pros and cons.

Time Xpresso has a particular float that is different than others. (Your foot is pushed back to the middle)
Time is French so expect unfinished not so wel thought out product with low level of quality control.

Speedplay is highly adjustable
Especially useful with people with foot, knee and leg problems.
Easy to change the spindle lenght.
To work with shims.
To adjust in and outwards float to your like

But expensive in maintenance and requires more maintenance than others.
Then there is the famous rocking problem after some use.

Look is French and therefore it has flaws.
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -cr-48501/

When you are looking for a nonsense free/ robust pedal, buy Shimano Dura Ace

sungod

by sungod

Rick wrote:Well, pedals seem to elicit strong opinions.

spot on :)

PLuKE

by PLuKE

Hawkwood wrote:
PLuKE wrote:I think it's time to replace my TIME Xpresso pedals, they have done me well, but there's a good amount of play in the axle now.

Luke

Another option is to simply change the bearings in the Xpresso pedals, you can even take out the nylon bushes and replace them with bearings as well. It takes about ten minutes a pedal. Replacing the bushes with bearings makes a significant difference to these pedals.

Thanks.

Is there any tips at removing and sourcing bearings for the pedals?

Luke

PLuKE

by PLuKE

Thanks guys, something I can take from this thread.

I don't think Speedplay are appealing to me now, I maintain my bike very well in all aspects and gets attention for every ride anyway, but they seem to be fiddly and fussy.

I have am finding that my cleats are correctly with my Xpresso, but when I getting my cadence up, I feel that my foot is waggling/side to side motion.

Maybe LOOK Keo 2 are a better option, but I do like the Xpresso clip in feel to effortless.

Thanks
Luke

krusty

by krusty

PLuKE wrote:I have am finding that my cleats are correctly with my Xpresso, but when I getting my cadence up, I feel that my foot is waggling/side to side motion.

Maybe LOOK Keo 2 are a better option, but I do like the Xpresso clip in feel to effortless.

Does it do that all the time, or when you are tired? I have always found that working on my form early in the season before pushing myself hard has eliminated the wobble in my foot at high efforts/cadences.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Just in case you weren't aware of Keywin.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

1415chris wrote:Just in case you weren't aware of Keywin.

They are another excellent design, similar to Speedplay in the float sensation but without many of the drawbacks that SP has with finicky cleats and the need for particular maintenance. Keywins are bulletproof, super light, require just about zero maintenance, and last forever. And they are relatively cheap.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

PLuKE wrote:
Hawkwood wrote:

Luke

Thanks.

Is there any tips at removing and sourcing bearings for the pedals?

Luke

Follow this link, this page has most of the info, but the page before and after also has useful information:http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=111827&hilit=Xpresso&start=345

One of my posts lists the bearings you need. The only fiddly bit is removing the small circlips, one per axle, but these are easy to put back on. If you have any problems, or need further info, please get back to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com