Campagnolo Overtorque with BBRight, not enough space on NDS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

svm

by svm

I'm trying to fit the over-torque crankset on a Cervelo R3 with BBRight. I'm using Campy's PF30 BB without the center shell (since it isn't long enough). I used the 9.5mm spacer that came with the BB on the DS and used the adjustable 5mm spacer on the NDS.

When I tightened the crankset there isn't any room to adjust the adjustable NDS spacer and turning the crank feels like there's too much friction. It is already very hard to fit the UT-FC130 tool into the gap on the NDS, so I don't dare to use a shorter spacer. Has anybody else encountered this problem with Over-Torque and BBRight? Would it be bad for shifting if I used a shorter spacer on the DS?

Thanks a lot!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I see that Campy does not support BBright http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_41_Technical%20manual%20-%20OverTorque%20bottom%20bracket%20cup%20-%20Campagnolo_Rev02_03_15.pdf

At first glance it's just a matter of spacers.

BBright adds 11mm to the NDS, when the crankset is expecting a 9 mm spacer. Perhaps that is the source of the problem. You might have to ditch the adjustable ring and use a selection of ordinary BB30 spacers on the NDS. Don't change the DS. And don't tighten it up as is. You'll ruin the bearings.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

em3

by em3

...try it with spacer on the drive side and no spacer on the non-drive side.

There are a few threads on over torque and BBRight on the Cervelo forum. Here are two:

https://forums.cervelo.com/forums/p/15727/105672.aspx

https://forums.cervelo.com/forums/p/13720/92561.aspx

https://forums.cervelo.com/forums/p/12800/92053.aspx

carlcurry

by carlcurry

I have an OverTorque crank on my 2015 R3. I purchased 1mm and .5mm spacers from Wheels Mfg. to dial in the spacing. It ended up with 7mm on the drive side and the NDS tool still works as designed. A 9.5 spacer sounds like too much for this combo. I used a BBInfinite bottom bracket - depending on your bottom bracket choice 7mm may not be the exact number you end up at.
It's been at least a year and a half. It's working perfectly and I've never heard a sound out of it.
I should add it could be argued I've altered the intended chainline and symmetry of the crank with the reduced drive side spacing. If true I sure can't feel it in practice, and I've measured things like crank arms to center of down tube, and crank arms to chainstays, etc. Good enough for me.
In the end I do not think you get an OverTorque assembled on a BBRight shell (particularly install/removal with the crank tool) unless you are careful with the spacing.
Bianchi Infinito CV, Cervelo R3, Giant TCR, Trek Domane SLR, Specialized Allez

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

BBright is the same dimensionally on the DS as BB30, therefore to maintain the correct chainline, the standard Campy 9.5 mm spacer should be used.

Because the BBright shell is 11 mm wider on the NDS, there is then insufficient space for the standard Campy spacer/adjusting ring.

The choices are then to ditch the standard DS spacer and move the crank 2 mm to the left as @carl did, or ditch the adjuster ring and replace with a selection of spacers.

Potentially with the former solution there could be interference between the small chainring and chainstay, and potentially problems in the small-small combination, plus potentially problems with the inner stop adjustment on the FD. Which was the reasoning behind my earlier advice.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

svm

by svm

Thanks for the responses guys!

I also didn't want to touch the 9.5mm DS spacer and mess up the chainline. The problem is if I leave 9.5mm of space on the DS, then there isn't enough space left on the NDS to fit the crank removal tool UT-FC130 into the gap between the crank and the frame. It becomes almost impossible to remove the left crank. I'll setup DS with 7.5mm of spacers like carlcurry did and see how it goes!

jordan00

by jordan00

Hi mate,

Ive just had the exact same problem with Campy OT on an RCA, using a Ceramic Speed BBRight specific BB. Screwed around with 1 campy 9mm spacer on the driveside for a while but kept dropping chains. Fitted it with about 6mm spacers on the driveside and it spaced the inner ring too close. With the 9mm spacer it felt like the crank was clamping the lockring tight.

Ended up with about a 7mm spacer which came with the BB (im blind), and just the campy lockring on the NDS, did your BB come with any spacers? Now its all sorted, shifts solid and reliable. Dont give up!

uraqt

by uraqt

R5 and Overtorque worked with campy 9.5mm DS and the lock ring on the NDS... I had to bend the allen wench to tighten it but it's ok... and removing it was a little tricky but I have remove the NDS arm to retighten the lock ring .

C

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com