tour mag aero tests a pinarello dogma and .....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2lo8

by 2lo8

What exactly looks so aero about the S5 vs the F8? The wheel cutout?

Even though the frame is the flashy part of the frameset, people tend to neglect that fact that it's the fork coming into contract with air first.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

ichobi

by ichobi

Why truncated airfoil shape is a banality? Canyon is using it. Madone 9 has a big truncated airfoil downtube. They all tested well in aero aspect. The way i see it, according to tour result, are that canyon and pinarello must have execellent tube shapes for drag reduction because even with exposed cables, they are almost on par with M9 and Vias

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

^ that; I'll think a truncated foil is more aero than a true skinny airfoil shape when you slap a huge round water bottle on it.

iliedanila

by iliedanila

kgt wrote:Looks pretty conventional to me by modern standards... What Pinarello calls Flatback" technology is just a truncated foil, really a banality nowadays...

Ok, and the fork stays are bowed. That's all. No?

Anyway, I am asking for an expert's opinion, not assumptions. Honestly...

First of all, I'm no expert, I just like physics very much :)
Something in this picture from pinnarello surely does look like marketing, all that air flow looking soooo smooth...
image_large.jpg

Compare with the flow from the right...that one looks a lot more realistic, and in my personal opinion it is more aero...

sawyer

by sawyer

kgt wrote:Looks pretty conventional to me by modern standards... What Pinarello calls Flatback" technology is just a truncated foil, really a banality nowadays...

Ok, and the fork stays are bowed. That's all. No?

Anyway, I am asking for an expert's opinion, not assumptions. Honestly...

It's a conventional tube shape by modern aero standards yes. For a guy riding around on round tubes a truncated foil is like something out of science fiction believe me :wink:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

The Kammback/-tail has been established in the 1930ies. The first popular frame must have been the Scott Foil, right? It is just super-obvious to be used on bicycles, does it make it old or boring?

I was amazed to find out our current team bikes had it. Gives me a psychological edge, at least...

wingguy

by wingguy

kgt wrote:Ok, and the fork stays are bowed. That's all. No?

That's 'all'? Aero frame tubes, aero seatpost, shaped stays to shield the rear brake and a fork design taken from their TT bike and that's all?

What more are you expecting?

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Well I'm just gonna keep riding mine and smiling.......... :D
BB

Coffee & carbon

kgt

by kgt

So every bike that has aero profiled tubes is aero??
That's cool for me cause my Bond is full of airfoils and truncated airfoils but I doubt it is that simple.
Anyway, nobody really knows how it actually works in the case of F8 obviously...

fa63

by fa63

kgt wrote:Anyway, nobody really knows how it actually works in the case of F8 obviously...

That is what you got from all the info posted? Wow...

BRM

by BRM

kgt wrote:Anyway, nobody really knows how it actually works in the case of F8 obviously...

Pinarello has a special website for the F8 where Aero parts are explained a bit.
Maybe here you can find answers on your questions.

http://www.pinarello.com/en/dogma-f8

wingguy

by wingguy

kgt wrote:So every bike that has aero profiled tubes is aero??

Well that would be the intention, yeah.

That's cool for me cause my Bond is full of airfoils and truncated airfoils

It's not really though, is it?

Dez33

by Dez33

kgt wrote:So every bike that has aero profiled tubes is aero??
That's cool for me cause my Bond is full of airfoils and truncated airfoils but I doubt it is that simple.
Anyway, nobody really knows how it actually works in the case of F8 obviously...

If you still don't get it I would say you are being deliberately obtuse. Not really surprising given the way you posed the question.

kgt

by kgt

My question is simple but maybe you don't get it.
Again:

F8 looks much more conventional in terms of 'aero' design than Venge Vias or S5 or Felt ARFRD etc. etc. Can anyone give a credible explanation on what is that - in terms of design - that provides F8's aero advantage Is it the fork? The rear end? A certain design concept that is not that clear? Obviously Pinarello's marketing does not give an answer.

If anyone could give a serious answer I would appreciate it, if not that's ok. I remind you this is a thread about F8's aero performance. If you have not a clue or you are not interested you do not have to participate.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'll take a shot. The bicycle is a complex system of many individual parts that interact together. The best aero bike is the one that was designed and tested as a 'system'. You can design the most aero fork but once you add the wheel everything changes. So perhaps the F8 has a lot of hours invested in making sure the 'system' works as opposed to slapping a bunch of aero components together that may not work well together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com