tour mag aero tests a pinarello dogma and .....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartan

by spartan

using the same testing protocol as used in the previous aero road test(rider dummy) the dogma scored a
206 watts...unbelievable.

55 cm frame weight 1019gm fork 409. respectable.
for reference the madone 9, venge vias scored a 204 watts.
froome is saving close to 15 watts vs specialized tarmac(contador). marginal gains

pinarello/jaguar engineers chapeau :beerchug:
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

What other bikes were tested? I'm thinking of subscribing to the magazine however I'm unsure if the same test is available in English.

RyanH

by RyanH

Just the Pinarello. The subscription is worth it in my opinion.

Dez33

by Dez33

spartan wrote:froome is saving close to 15 watts vs specialized tarmac(contador). marginal gains

No. Froome doesn't use 60mm wheels or integrated aero handlebars. And, Contador uses better wheels than what the Tarmac was tested with. Probably down to about 3-4 watts difference I would say.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

So Specialized was right saying the Dogma is roughly in the same ballpark as Cervelo S5, Felt AR and Trek. Impressive indeed, couldn't have thought Pinarello actually hit this one from the aero perspective right.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Shrike

by Shrike

Wish someone would test the Cipollini's. Class looking rare machines, but no decent info on them.

djcharlou

by djcharlou

@Dez33 Froome now use a Pro Evo handlebar/stem combo, see the last bikeradar gallery.
Not sure how much aero this one is ...

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

He is also using Dura Ace C50 wheels quite often. He even used them in the Dauphine uphill TT/prologue, which was really steep.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

pdlpsher1 wrote:What other bikes were tested? I'm thinking of subscribing to the magazine however I'm unsure if the same test is available in English.

iOS is in English, $3 per issue
https://appsto.re/us/Z0ZcB.i

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Dez33

by Dez33

djcharlou wrote:@Dez33 Froome now use a Pro Evo handlebar/stem combo, see the last bikeradar gallery.
Not sure how much aero this one is ...

Thanks, hadn't noticed he switched to those.

jlaitinen

by jlaitinen

mpulsiv wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:What other bikes were tested? I'm thinking of subscribing to the magazine however I'm unsure if the same test is available in English.

iOS is in English, $3 per issue
https://appsto.re/us/Z0ZcB.i

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also available on android via https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pressmatrix.tourqtr. 2.99€ per issue.

BRM

by BRM

Unbelievable how many people still are under the influence of tests and Aero.

Magazines comes Always with "tests" knowing there are enough stupid people that fall into the trap . .
Its the most profitable way for a magazine to attract readers. "Tests" is a way to sell.Its a marketing instrument.

Most test are very incomplete and far away of real world conditions. Average people dont have any clue how to interpretate tests and how to translate some data to the real world. These test have Always a lack of parameters that also play a role in outcomes. Parameters that level particular outcomes, but the majority is not even aware of the tons of other parameters.

People really believe that the amount of watts is correct.
People really believe it makes a huge difference on the road.

Aero elements on roadrace bikes are fancy for some but definitely not a great difference with normal road race bikes. In fact, when you bring in all relevant parameters you will become aware the Aero effect is nihil. Races are simply not won or lost by Aero elements on road race bikes.

Many people are not out on real, complete and neutral information but only on confirmation of whats already in their minds. Intelligent people should look further and ask themselves critical questions with these tests, instead of swallowing how it comes to them. . .

Really funny also, that lots of tests-believers claim that marketing has not effect on them.
Also funny that people here see themselves as technical people but can not even find how to disable the stupid tapatalk message (Sent from my X-Phone . .) where they spam the forum with. Or post pics in normal size.

micky

by micky

@BRM, thanks for your reply but instead of your generic argument, could you say what's wrong with Tour test?
Much appreciated.

bungis

by bungis

micky wrote:@BRM, thanks for your reply but instead of your generic argument, could you say what's wrong with Tour test?
Much appreciated.

They don't use a full rider manikin iirc. So not factoring in the massive turbulence caused by the upper torso including the arms/hands makes it worthless.

Trek and Giant are the only ones who got it right afaik.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

But so long as the test protocols are consistent throughout, the results will still be valid for that particular set of simulated condition isn't it? It might not be real world testing but some will find value in lab tests results.