Clincher wheelset - factory vs custom

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

casantos

by casantos

Hello,

This is my first post so apologies if the subject has already been addressed in other posts, although I searched the forum and I believe that is not the case.

I am looking to upgrade the wheels on my 2014 Scott Addict 20, as the ones that came with the bike (Shimano RS11) are a bit heavy, although still going strong after many miles.

I weight 71kg and do a mix of flat and hilly courses, I would say 50/50 between flat/hilly, so I started looking for something that would be a good compromise between lightness and aero (and clincher). I first looked at what was available in terms of ready built wheelsets, and got to this shortlist:

Shimano Dura Ace 9000 C24 – around 700 EUR, light (1387g claimed), good hubs, but no aero (24mm depth) and a old narrow rims (20,8mm)

Fulcrum Racing Zero – also around 700 EUR, not as light (1436g claimed, but apparently actual weight quite above that), 26mm front, 30mm rear, which means a tiny bit of aero, ceramic bearings, and wider rims

Spada Breva 30 – around 750 EUR, light (1350g claimed and actual), good hubs, possibility of ceramic bearings, a bit aero, but with really narrow rims (19,8mm)

So, basically no wheelset had all I wanted, and I decided to look at the possibility of building my own wheels. After some research, I got to this configuration:

Hubs: Carbon-ti X-Hub road SP, 58g front, 160g rear
Rims: Asiancyclexpress WA3C (front, 435g worst case) and WA5C (rear, 455g worst case)
Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray (20 front, 24 rear)
Nipples: Sapim Polyax Hexagonal

I believe this would put me below the 1300g mark, I would have some nice deep rims, with 23mm outer width, but also an affordable weight for the hill climbs and the overall cost would be below 1000 EUR.

This is the first time I consider building my own wheels, so I would like to hear your views on this configuration. Am I going in the right direction?

Thank you.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I really really like wider rims. They are a bit heavier but the benefits of wider rims can be felt in reduced rolling resistance and better handling. The HED Belgium Plus is 25mm wide and a very good rim (easy to build, fairly light for such as wide rim...around 460g.) and very high quality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

casantos

by casantos

That is a very good rim, light and cheap, but no aero capabilities...

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Aero and low profile.... I think it's either one..

I have a set of fulcrum zero nite (and the regulær zero last year) for climbing and a pair of zipp 404 for going fast. Love both.

Gehenna

by Gehenna

http://2013.bikesoul.com/s2/

Not at all aero, but if you're looking at the 24's, these provide a lighter option and wider rims