what clincher wheelset is best for high mountains

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

I am off to the Dolomites in a few weeks. I will take my Black inc.
What clincher wheelset is best for riding in the high mountains?

fogman

by fogman

I would go aluminum braking surface for the high mountains because of the descents. Carbon clinchers do not dissipate heat as quickly as aluminum clinchers on long technical descents. My personal favorite is the Campagnolo Shamal Ultra. Fulcrum Racing Zero is virtually the same wheel if you prefer Fulcrum over Campagnolo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tooslow

by Tooslow

Dura-ace c24

addictR1

by addictR1

I'm riding with kinlin xr19w on my addict for climbs and love it! It's pretty stiff for me (68kg)

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

If you have to go clincher in the Dolomites, then what Fogman said, but if you can, then really consider tubulars (and a sweet set of Veloflex tubbies.)

raffal

by raffal

If it is really steep mountain, I guess aluminium wheelset is better than carbon clincher one. And Dura ace c-24 would be the best.

jamesbass

by jamesbass

For non-carbon lightweight check out the Kinlin XR200 rims. Many 1200-1400g builds available for sale out there. Just picked up a pair myself and I'm really impressed. My carbon clinchers weigh the exact same (1350g).

Kongbop

by Kongbop

If you looking for aluminium wheelset, Mavic ksyrium SLR could be one of best choice.
for riding in the high mountains

Steve_W

by Steve_W

I recently had to hire a set of wheels whilst riding the Alps this year due to a damaged rear wheel, I've ridden lightweight G3 tubs, cosmic carbone clinchers and ultimate 's in previous years.
The only set available were a set of box section ultegra clinchers (RRP £300 UK) Mmm "I guess these will do, better then nothing I suppose" went the thought process.
How wrong was I, I was shocked how well they climbed and descended.....go's to show, top price, all show wheels can be upstaged by underdogs!
Although didn't do the looks of my 695 any justice, well so I keep telling myself!!!

reknop

by reknop

fogman wrote:I would go aluminum braking surface for the high mountains because of the descents. Carbon clinchers do not dissipate heat as quickly as aluminum clinchers on long technical descents. My personal favorite is the Campagnolo Shamal Ultra. Fulcrum Racing Zero is virtually the same wheel if you prefer Fulcrum over Campagnolo. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would certainly go for a set of aluminium clinchers ... a friend of mine completely burnt his carbon clinchers in the Dolomites about a month ago. :)
I personally ride a set of Mavic Ksyrium SLR with Exalith surface for some extra stopping power in wet conditions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

addictR1

by addictR1

What carbon clinchers did he toast? I've been eyeing Zipps and they said there hasn't been one that got burnt on the brake track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hanchangjung

by hanchangjung

3 friends of aluminum, shamal, racing zero, c24

except aluminun, i would like recommend "slro" from giant

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com