Replacement Canyon Aeroad Lower Headset Bearing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jimwhimpey

by jimwhimpey

My 2012 Canyon Aeroad's headset is completely shot.

It uses a non-sealed lower bearing and the holder has disintegrated. The outer steel holder is still usable and the crown race is maybe usable but I definitely need new bearings.

I've measured it the sizes seemed weird. Canyon's website didn't have enough detail, especially as the current model Aeroad has an entirely different headset. Ended up calling Canyon and they sent me a headset but it's not even close to fitting. The crown race doesn't fit the fork and the (cartridge) bearing is loose in the frame with ~2mm of play. The one they sent was a IS47/33.

Done a ton searching but haven't found anything that I think would fit.

The fork diameter where the crown race sits (a metal piece bonded to the lower part of the steerer) is 34.92mm wide.

The bottom of the head tube where the bearing sits has an internal diameter of 48.31mm.

Anyone got any ideas?

dolophonic

by dolophonic

same happened on my ultimate slx .. they replaced,it the first one they sent did not fit either.. i thought the race was toast .. they fixed it but .. not good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

androidavies

by androidavies

In general, Canyon seem to have "unusual" dimension headset bearings. I've generally steered customers towards Canyon direct from here in the UK. They've usually bought the bike from Canyon in the first place anyways.

Acros make quite a few of their headsets, http://shop.acros.de/ersatzteile/4376/b ... oad-cf-slx I wonder if this is the bearing set you need?

It'll involve some e mails to find/confirm the dimensions I'm afraid.

Hope this is some help.

BRM

by BRM

When Canyon has sent you something that doesnt fit, simply contact them again.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Are there any printed numbers left on the bearing race? They might be all worn off.

Vermu

by Vermu

Canyon solely uses acros bearings. Can be bought from canyon or directly from acros.
To my understanding the size of bearings have always been more or less weird, cant be bought from usual places

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Are these measurements from the same part of the bike? Is one the upper and one the lower part of the steerer? Does the top cap fit inbetween the frame and the bearing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com