Quick link? (on a shimano chain.)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

What is your experience with a quick link on a Shimano 11 speed chain? The store manager at the shop I frequent has recommended against, saying he felt the chain would be more likely to break. And Shimano implicitly says the same thing by not having a quick link and I read a quote from a Shimano tech manager that they haven't found them reliable enough. Do you agree? I like the convenience of being able to easily remove the chain, whether for cleaning or traveling -- if it doesn't introduce a potential problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Seen plenty on Shimano 11speed chains. Usually KMC links but probably seen a Sram. Never seen one fail on any chain*.

*Not since back in the 9spd days using Sram chains on high chain growth DH bikes. Lots of clattering around.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

They work fine. A poorly installed pin is more likely to be an issue than a quick link.
Using Tapatalk

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

Oh, and if you do use one, do you take out the link that already has the pin it, or a different link? My guess is the latter because IIRC, Shimano recommends that if you have to break the chain, break it elsewhere from the pinned link.

cobrakai

by cobrakai

Shimano has announced a quick link but I have no idea when it will be available. The part number is SM-CN90011. I have been using pins since I switched to 11 speed. I always break the chain at a different location than a previously installed pin.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

I use kmc quick links on 11 speed Shimano, and did previously on 9 and 10 suited too. Never had a problem.

I'd be intrigued to learn why a quick link would be good enough to join a SRAM or KMC chain, but not a Shimano one (or a campagnolo one, which also "needs" a special, spendy chain tool).

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

MisterMuncher wrote:I use kmc quick links on 11 speed Shimano, and did previously on 9 and 10 suited too. Never had a problem.

I'd be intrigued to learn why a quick link would be good enough to join a SRAM or KMC chain, but not a Shimano one (or a campagnolo one, which also "needs" a special, spendy chain tool).

Same here: KMC Missing Link 11. Never had an issue.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Yaban, Sram and Kmc quick link, no problem with Shimano 11 chains

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I've used SRAM quick links for years on my 9 speed road bike. They are reusable. I've heard the 11 speed ones are not reusable but I was talking to a team mate last night and he uses KMC 11 speed quick links and reuses them dozens of times. (He removes his chain to clean). He's never had a failure.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Sram and KMC links on all my bikes, multiple re use of all with no issues. Realistically cant see how they can pull apart on their own unless damaged TBH.
I also punch out the joining pin on new bike chains to eliminate the possibility of a defective join as the QL doesn't require a press fit tollerence on the outer plates like the joining pin as its replacing the outer plates.
Using Tapatalk

dmulligan

by dmulligan

It was only the 11s that say no reuse IIRC.

THE joining pin? There is one special one?

sungod

by sungod

dmulligan wrote:I've used SRAM quick links for years on my 9 speed road bike. They are reusable. I've heard the 11 speed ones are not reusable but I was talking to a team mate last night and he uses KMC 11 speed quick links and reuses them dozens of times. (He removes his chain to clean). He's never had a failure.

Thoughts?

one person isn't a good sample size when it comes to assessing risk of safety critical components

fwiw i use only removable links, either kmc for 10-speed or connex for 11-speed

i've tested removing single-use 10-speed sram links (powerlock) as i had several hanging around because i use the kmc instead

forcing them open with link pliers caused fine shards of metal to flake off the plates, the links were then easier to close/open again

i.e the links were physically damaged

three possibilities...

a link is safer after the damage
a link is just as safe after the damage as it was before
a link is less safe after the damage

i suspect it's the latter, i'm happy to spend a little more, worst case in ten years i'm down a hundred quid

note this was sram powerlocks 10-speed, i've not repeated the experiment with 11-speed

yinya

by yinya

Any conclusion on this - ok to open/close a SRAM red chain quick link 2-3 times (it's about as many times as I clean the chain over its life) or a no-go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

eaglejackson wrote:What is your experience with a quick link on a Shimano 11 speed chain? The store manager at the shop I frequent has recommended against, saying he felt the chain would be more likely to break. And Shimano implicitly says the same thing by not having a quick link and I read a quote from a Shimano tech manager that they haven't found them reliable enough. Do you agree? I like the convenience of being able to easily remove the chain, whether for cleaning or traveling -- if it doesn't introduce a potential problem.

Ok I have to laugh at this.
I have been using Kmc quick link for let's say about 5-6 years. 5 of those racing hard up to cat3. With 10 speed and then 11spd. 250-350mp week average. 15hr per week. Never ever had one of those fail me. My chains were DA and ultegra. None of my friends had an issue of the quick link breaking.
Shimano just came up with their quick link.
That store manager is very misinformed.
Kmc makes 10 pieces cards. I change them after a while for fear of failure but after a while I stopped changing them. Those things last a long time. I both get a 10 piece card about 5 years ago and I still have 1 left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'm now using the Shimano quick link on my Dura Ace chains. They work just like the KMC version however they are a lot harder to open/close. So you must need the special plier designed to open/close quick links.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com