Lake shoes--how far back can you get the cleats?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ovalier

by Ovalier

So previously I rode sidis, but I could never get the cleats back enough. I drilled the soles for a more rearward cleat placement (not even close to mid foot, just maybe 3/4 cm behind the stock holes). This worked great, but the cleats hung off the side of the sole too much. I recently bought shimano r321s because the soles allowed for extra rearward placement of the cleats without drilling, and they are great in terms of cleat placement but they're not a perfect fit (and yes I had them heat molded).

My question is: I noticed lake soles have similar adjustability (the nuts move in the soles); can anyone tell me if the cleats can be pushed back as much as on the shimano shoes? I know that's a pretty specific question but...doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phillipivan

by phillipivan

I'm sorry this will only be tangentially helpful. I have Lake 402s with the speed play 4 hole sole. On those I have a considerable amount of fore-aft cleat adjustment, more than my old (3 hole) Spec and more than I can imagine needing unless someone wanted a true mid foot position. However thats the 4 hole sole. Great shoes though.

JohnHinMD

by JohnHinMD

Ovalier, I happen to have some new Shimano R321's and Lake CX237's handy and without the cleats mounted, so I took a photo of them side-by-side, with the soles facing up (and threw in a pair of S-Works Sub 6 as well). Note that these are all *Wide* sizes (SW 6 in 44; R321 in 43; and CX237 in 43.5). The lengths are slightly different, but seem to be within +/- 5mm of each other, especially when you take into account that the R321's have a pretty substantial "bumper" on the toe which adds length. So, from a quick eyeball comparison, I think the Shimano gives slightly more room for aft cleat placement, maybe 5-10mm, but they are all in roughly the same ballpark of fore-aft options. For substantially greater rearward placement, you'd need to drill.

Photo Jun 16, 5 44 39 PM.jpg

Ovalier

by Ovalier

Thank you! That was super helpful, I appreciate the picture.

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

Very informative thread, thanks!

I think I'll stick with Shimano as I've already got my cleats all the way back on those...

g32ecs

by g32ecs

JohnHinMD wrote:Ovalier, I happen to have some new Shimano R321's and Lake CX237's handy and without the cleats mounted, so I took a photo of them side-by-side, with the soles facing up (and threw in a pair of S-Works Sub 6 as well). Note that these are all *Wide* sizes (SW 6 in 44; R321 in 43; and CX237 in 43.5). The lengths are slightly different, but seem to be within +/- 5mm of each other, especially when you take into account that the R321's have a pretty substantial "bumper" on the toe which adds length. So, from a quick eyeball comparison, I think the Shimano gives slightly more room for aft cleat placement, maybe 5-10mm, but they are all in roughly the same ballpark of fore-aft options. For substantially greater rearward placement, you'd need to drill.

Photo Jun 16, 5 44 39 PM.jpg

How do you move those plastic inserts on the cleats for Shimano shoes?

I've been wanting to move my cleats further back and I cannot figure this out

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com