Stripping the paint of my TCR Advanced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

How does the cable run now?
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Thanks pdlpsher! So no drilling the dropout? There is also a hole on the inside of the dropout. I can't use that?

@kevosinn: The mechanical cable now runs externally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

My current bike is Di2 ready and it has a hole near the dropout. The difference here is that this area has been reinforced with the hole in mind. In your case there's no reinforcement designed in that area. If your existing hole is large enough (unlikely) then go ahead and use it. But if you have to enlarge the hole then you are taking a risk as the hole needed is quite big and the dropout area is quite small. Pls post a pic on the existing hole if you could. Test drill a hole in a scrap wood. You'll be surprised at how big the hole needs to be to feed the cable through it. And the hole must be large enough so that the Di2 rubber grommet can fit as well. So the actual hole is much larger than the connector.

One more thing. The hole has to face the outside. The inside of the chainstay will interfere with the cassette and chain.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

This is the hole in the dropout I'm talking about.

salesguy

by salesguy

Or you could drill a hole small enough for just the wire, and splice the wire together at the BB.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

salesguy wrote:Or you could drill a hole small enough for just the wire, and splice the wire together at the BB.

Great idea! I might go with that.

Was also thinking of drinking the aluminum dropout instead of the carbon chainstay

And I put another 2 hours into sanding

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I think it took me around 10 hours to sand the frame. Did a last run with 600 wet sand paper and it looks great!

Now on to the Di2

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

One hole looks like a weight saving measure on the aluminum dropout. I'm not sure what the other hole is for. In any case these holes cannot be used because that's where the chain and cassette sit.

Do you have a Di2 wire on hand? If not I suggest you get one before you drill any holes. You could also lookup the specs on the Shimano Di2 rubber grommet. It will tell you how big the hole needs to be for the grommet to fit. The grommet is needed for waterproofing the frame. Because the connectors on the Di2 cable is much larger than the wire itself the hole will appear much larger than the wire. I don't recommend splicing the Di2 cables. I bet the copper wires inside are very thin and not suitable for splicing.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Tuning the cables internally was a hell of a job. My fingers hurt and I feel knackerd.

But the result looks great!

I've drilled three holes in the bob shel. One of the big enough to fit the junction.

I still need to do some sanding but want to know how the frame rides before pushing the last mile.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Pretty glad about the result. Ordered a matte carbon bottle holder and black bartape. Also a SlamTheStam spacer to give it a little more drop.

stockae92

by stockae92

That looks awesome! Nice work!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Looks good. Nice job.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

After putting in the 303!!

AZR3

by AZR3

Wow, that 303 makes it much nicer looking. The whole project came out great

Edit-maybe just hit the cable guides by the headtube and the bit by the derailleur with a little matte black spray paint so it blends in better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Great idea!!