Speedplay ti spindle swap - creaks and clicks?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bkw

by bkw

hey all,
I swapped out my zero SS spindles for Ti last year and I recently noticed a click/creaking sound coming from the left pedal. I grease and overhaul the pedals regularly and assumed it was my BB30 making the noise. Swapped my pressed bearings for the Praxis BB30/Shimano and it didnt quell the sound.

I then swapped the SS spindle in and the noise dissappeared. Thought it mightve been a fluke or a short term fix, but with 250 miles on the SS spindles without a peep leads me to believe that the ti spindles were the culprit. Could they have bent? I'll post photos of the used spindles and the wear marks of the left side shortly.

Anyone else have an issue or notice this? I purchased the spindles from the recommended seller posted in several threads here on ww.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Don't have a good answer but in one of the other threads, I thought I had read that someone had experienced exaggerated scoring where the bearing contacts the spindle with the after market J&L ti spindles.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I am thinking I have that exact problem. I have changed out everything but those from the stock Ti's (even the bodies) and I still have an annoying click. The weird thing is the click on mine only come at a certain angle on the rotation and I thought the same thing about the wearing from the bearing surface... If I test it against a ss spindle you would have saved me a lot of headache...