New build, need advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jrobart

by jrobart

mbarking on a new build -- for no other reason than I just got a GREAT DEAL on a '14 Specialized S Works Crux Disc frame/fork/seatpost. I'm a little all over the map when it comes to components on my other bikes.

Seven Axiom SL: 2015 Campy Record and Super Record 11
Seven Mudhoney SL: 2014 Campy Athena EPS
Fondriest Carbon Magister: SRAM Red 10 Speed
Cannonade Fat CAAD 1: 2016 SRAM XO
I really need to update the photos in my signature!

So what to do with this build. The bike will likely join the Fondriest up in Vermont at a second home so will be used as a weekend/vacation bike on a year-round basis primarily on gravel rides/races and the bad weather road bike. If you're not familiar with Northern Vermont, there's LOTS of climbing.

Only components for sure are HED Belgium Plus wheels built around DT 240 hubs, Zipp Contour SL bars and ENVE stem.

I welcome any suggestions.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

If it were me I'd put Ultegra Di2 with BR-785 brakes on it. Ultegra will give you the option of going to a 32 on the back, which can be useful on steep gravel roads. And I'm a big fan of Di2, though you might decide to go mechanical instead. And the crankset gives you the full range of options on chainring sizes (50-34, 52-36, 53-39) so you can configure as appropriate for road or gravel, recreational riding or racing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jrobart

by jrobart

Thanks, I'm getting lots of friends suggesting Ultegra Di2 as the way to go. Hate to leave some unused Campy gear in the garage, but being able to go with hydraulic brakes and getting a 32 on the back may outweigh the cost considerations.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

Junior7

by Junior7

Use Ultegra Di2.

Easy maintenance and cheaper parts that Campagnolo.

mimason

by mimason

My idea of a travel bike or a limited use second (mountain) home bike is mechanical with compact gearing and a big fat 28 wafer in the back.