Frame questions + best frame you ever rode

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iliedanila

by iliedanila

Hi,

Not long ago I started a topic to get suggestions for a frame around 2k price tag. Since then I decided to eliminate that money limit and raise more money, if the case, because I wanna buy a frameset that will make me smile every time I ride and have the feeling that I'm on something special.
Now, since I live in Romania and test riding a top end frame here is not really an option I will have to rely on your experience.
Few questions:
- what is your favorite frame and why?
- are direct mount brakes better than standard?

A note from me: I'm equally opened to aero frames and climbing frames. I run carbon tubulars (38mm) with 24mm rubber. I like to climb and also to descend, so I would like a very composed frame on descents with no flex on climbs..

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

Hard to tell what constitutes best because we all have differing prefetences. Best 'behaved' frame i've ridden is Storck Aernario. Agressive geometry yet comfortable and damp the road buzz well. Unreal handlin that make descending sublime. Accelerate amazingly quick. Light, exclusive, responsive.

Even so i prefer Canyon Aeroad CF SLX. Very comfy for an aero bike, sharp handling, amazing semse of speed and descent very very well. It also comes with DM brake.

Honestly, once tried Direct Mount, I dont want ever to go back to typica rim brake anymore. The modulation is top notch and its the reason i prefer aeroad over many many bikes i tried. Would love to try Madone 9 though.

Other frames i like: Cervelo S5 for its rawness - stiff and uncompromising. F8 are well handled and is a very balanced all rounder.

Frames i dont like - Vias is too heavy and have shitty brakes. Too singular purpose for a bike at that price. Colnago c60 is a mellow ride, too mellow and lack any sense of speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Will you be racing?

iliedanila

by iliedanila

ichobi wrote:Hard to tell what constitutes best because we all have differing prefetences. Best 'behaved' frame i've ridden is Storck Aernario. Agressive geometry yet comfortable and damp the road buzz well. Unreal handlin that make descending sublime. Accelerate amazingly quick. Light, exclusive, responsive.

Even so i prefer Canyon Aeroad CF SLX. Very comfy for an aero bike, sharp handling, amazing semse of speed and descent very very well. It also comes with DM brake.

Honestly, once tried Direct Mount, I dont want ever to go back to typica rim brake anymore. The modulation is top notch and its the reason i prefer aeroad over many many bikes i tried. Would love to try Madone 9 though.

Other frames i like: Cervelo S5 for its rawness - stiff and uncompromising. F8 are well handled and is a very balanced all rounder.

Frames i dont like - Vias is too heavy and have shitty brakes. Too singular purpose for a bike at that price. Colnago c60 is a mellow ride, too mellow and lack any sense of speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The kind of answer I was looking for. 10x a lot, man. That aeroad is on my list.
Also is colnago v1-r, but I'm not sure about that rear brake mounted under..

iliedanila

by iliedanila

Fixie82 wrote:Will you be racing?

Yes, but not a lot. I race because I enjoy no traffic, and for those personal records :)

DMF

by DMF

A bikes handling will differ A LOT depending on your center of gravity on the bike. I.e, your fit. Seat height, mass of body's fore and aft position in relation to wheel axles, BB spindle and head tube.

Not to mention a 51cm frame never rides the same as a 58cm, no matter what a manufacturer will tell you about "size optimized tubing".

The grand point being, one bike will not handle the same with two different riders, even at the same total body height our limb compositions can differ greatly person to person. For instance, I by far have the longest arms at my work place, despite being one of the shortest guys there by some margin, changes a bikes handling hugely for me compared to my work mates experience of the same frame.

For instance, me 172cm trying to ride a 56cm Tarmac means folding and tucking my elbows into my armpits while in the bottom of the drops, with my 179cm friend riding a 54cm Tarmac next to ms is struggling to reach the hoods. This was a real example on a recent lunch ride on borrowed bikes...

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

1. Speedvagen

2. Colnago EP

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

1. Tarmac SL4 S-Works
2. Tommasini Fusion

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

iliedanila

by iliedanila

TwiggyTN wrote:1. Tarmac SL4 S-Works
2. Tommasini Fusion

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Regarding specialized, I find the tarmac pro frameset a better deal than the s-works..

Nejmann

by Nejmann

1. Baum Cubano Ti.

2. s-works tarmac, pinarello, cannondale and trek..

lanternrouge

by lanternrouge

Other than a Parlee, my favorite road frame has been the BH Ultralight. When you compare what it costs compared to Parlees, it is a much better value, though I got a used Parlee for not much more than what I paid for the BH through a club deal.

iliedanila

by iliedanila

So, my extended list untill now looks like this:

- Cervelo R5
- Cervelo S3
- Cannondale SuperSix Evo
- Pinarello Gan RS
- Colnago V1-R
- Specialized Tarmac
- Storck Aernario Pro
- Canyon Aeroad CF SLX
- Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Ghost234

by Ghost234

1) Cervelo R5 (ca feels the exact same)
2) Cervelo S3 (old version)
3) S works Tarmac Sl5
4) Felt AR FRD

Bike I did not like: Focus Izalco, Colnago C59 & V1R, 2011 Trek Madone 6.2, and Pinarello Paris. These usually felt sluggish or the ride was too muted for me to feel the road.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

My riding is mostly training rides of medium to long duration and climbing. My favorite frame for that is my C-59. I suspect that if you are mostly doing crit races or time trials you'd prefer a different frame.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prebsy

by prebsy

Most frames feel the same to me. Cervelo s5 was the only bike that felt significantly faster than other bikes. the 2016 foil has the best steering of any bike I've ever felt, I'm assuming anything with a 1.25 steerer tube should feel comparably awesome.