Do you feel faster on a lighter bike (compared to a heavier one)?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nimit

by Nimit

See thread subject, do you? I personally was surprised that I don't, not really... I had a 7,5 kg 1997 Trek 5500, frame is broken now so I have had to switch back to my 'old' Trek 1000 SL (about 12 kg last time I checked, so a whooping 4,5 kg heavier). First time I rode it since years, and overall speed wise I did not feel a real difference. My bike computer and heart rate monitor did tell me I was a little slower (about 2 km/h) at top speed with the same heart rate, but otherwise I was surprised that at the lack of difference in feel when accelerating, cornering etc. I did feel the difference in quality of parts on the bike: Ultegra SL vs Tiagra makes quite a difference.

To be fair, I do live in a flat area/country so I can't comment on difference when climbing. Also, I weigh in at close to 100 kg, so the weight difference between bikes will have less effect on me than on say a 65 kg skinny rider :oops: .

Mep

by Mep

I'm much lighter, but yes I certainly do. Things like steering on a lighter front end, spinning up the wheels to speed from stationary, climbing hills... Makes a noticeable difference to me in feel and mentally.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

If you SEARCH, this subject has been discussed quite a bit. The scientific consensus seems to be that you are not actually much faster on a lighter bike; but I will have to say that I do believe it FEELS faster.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

It would be interesting to run a double-blind experiment where the rider is asked to ride two bikes with different weights however they cannot lift the bike to feel the weight difference. I'm willing to bet that no one can reliably feel 500g. of static weight difference :D

fabriciom

by fabriciom

I have two sets of wheels on being a bit heavier. Last week I was doing 80km on the lighter set. I had a flat so I changed wheels. I returned to my routine and I ended up screwing a calf muscle. So,yes even 200-300g make a big difference. I did not "feel" a big difference but my body did.

tmr5555

by tmr5555

pdlpsher1 wrote:It would be interesting to run a double-blind experiment where the rider is asked to ride two bikes with different weights however they cannot lift the bike to feel the weight difference. I'm willing to bet that no one can reliably feel 500g. of static weight difference :D

Respectfully disagree. 500 grams difference is quite easy to feel.

BRM

by BRM

fabriciom wrote:I have two sets of wheels on being a bit heavier. Last week I was doing 80km on the lighter set. I had a flat so I changed wheels. I returned to my routine and I ended up screwing a calf muscle. So,yes even 200-300g make a big difference. I did not "feel" a big difference but my body did.

Sure . . . :roll:
Good example of false correlation.

Flapmeat

by Flapmeat

It feels way faster than I'm sure it really is!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

tmr5555 wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:It would be interesting to run a double-blind experiment where the rider is asked to ride two bikes with different weights however they cannot lift the bike to feel the weight difference. I'm willing to bet that no one can reliably feel 500g. of static weight difference :D

Respectfully disagree. 500 grams difference is quite easy to feel.

I'm sure your body weight varies by at least 500 grams each morning when you wake up. Do you find a correlation between your actual riding weight vs. how fast you feel on the bike? I'm talking about static weight here so body weight is the same as the bike weight. If the bike weight stay the same and your body weight changes are you gonna feel the weight difference?

austke

by austke

Do I feel faster on a lighter bike? Yes, I do Feel faster.
If you can't notice 500gr, keep adding more weight. At some point, you will notice it. Both in Feel and Real Speed.
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Yes, I do. Diminishing returns though.

20kg to 10kg. Huge difference.

10kg to 7kg. A definite improvement, but not as much as 20 to 10

7kg to 6.5kg. Noticeable a bit on really steep climbs.

6.5kg to 6.0kg. Only noticeable when really fresh on a ride, and if actually focusing on it, and when swinging the bike from left to right (or picking it up off a bike rack outside a shop, like a fashion ponce, lolz)

Much bigger differences though;

-What I did the day before on my bike
-Amount of sleep, hydration, timing of food
-General positive state of mind
-Wind direction / air pressure etc.

stockae92

by stockae92

I am no pro, I only feel the extra weight getting going from a red light and going up hill, actually the 11sp helps more on the steep hills than 2lb of bike weight. :)

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Anyone could do this experiment. Before a ride weigh your body plus the water bottles. Note the change in weight from your last ride. Can you feel the speed difference between rides? I'm not saying weight isn't affecting the speed. It's just that most people cannot feel a difference of 500g. of static weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I've been riding an 11kg aluminum Kona Jake for years. I recently got a Cervelo R3 and I noticed a big difference. I am definitely faster on it. Being lighter probably matters but it's also more aero and a lot stiffer. Do those really make a big difference like I feel or is it mostly in my head? I don't care. If I'm faster on it because it makes me happier to ride it so be it.
That and what DarkInstall said. Sleep, hydration, food and freshness and all that stuff matter a lot.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Wheels can make you feel faster along with frame geometry. But a few grams on the frame? Not really.
Does anyone feel faster on their bikes when they forget their water bottles?
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com