2015 Cervelo S5 TriRig rear brake install

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DamenH85

by DamenH85

Hi Everyone-

I'm building up a new S5 using TriRig brakes front and rear. The front fits great, no problem, but I'm not happy with how the rear is looking. The frame size is 51 and I've had to use a lot of spacers on the mounting bolt to get the cable hanger to clear the frame. I'm concerned about how this setup will react under braking forces, so I'm posting here to get some opinions to either confirm or calm my concerns. I've contacted TriRig with the same photo to get their response as well. Thanks for looking!

damen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lee16

by lee16

That's normal for that frame.

spud

by spud

I'm not an expert in aero. But it looks to me like have that brake that far off the stays negates any aero advantage over a standard caliper.

glepore

by glepore

Thinking that too, and also thinking that behind the stays like that there isn't much aero advantage. The TriRig does look cool though.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

DMF

by DMF

Try a Simkins Egg brake on the rear instead. I would never ride that setup, about the equivalent of a 10cm stack of headset spacers on a carbon steerer ;)

RyanH

by RyanH

It's a known incompatibility with the S5 and rear brake. I thought they even stated so in the product page. There's a workaround somewhere, maybe on slow twitch if you Google around.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DamenH85

by DamenH85

Re: compatibility

The main reason I'm trying to use this on the back is to match the front; I'd be surprised if there was any aero advantage. If I can't get this installed in a way that I like, I'll just put a SRAM caliper on the back, to match the rest of the groupset.

damen

jorisee01

by jorisee01

If you can't get it installed the way you want - maybe I could buy it from you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZR3

by AZR3

You could always buy the "no hanger" back plate to get it closer to the seat stays

DamenH85

by DamenH85

AZR3 wrote:You could always buy the "no hanger" back plate to get it closer to the seat stays
<see image in original post>

I thought of that as well, but I think the problem would be the cable housing would move down towards the brake when you released the lever after braking. There needs to be something (cable stop) to hold the housing in place on both ends. The no-hanger back plate is traditionally used when running bare cable from a compatible stem straight down to the front brake. In that case, the cable stop is integrated into the stem.

damen

DamenH85

by DamenH85

jorisee01 wrote:If you can't get it installed the way you want - maybe I could buy it from you?

If that does happen, I will make sure to PM you; thanks!

damen

AZR3

by AZR3

DamenH85 wrote:
AZR3 wrote:You could always buy the "no hanger" back plate to get it closer to the seat stays
<see image in original post>

I thought of that as well, but I think the problem would be the cable housing would move down towards the brake when you released the lever after braking. There needs to be something (cable stop) to hold the housing in place on both ends. The no-hanger back plate is traditionally used when running bare cable from a compatible stem straight down to the front brake. In that case, the cable stop is integrated into the stem.

damen

Totally spaced that part lol

I have an omega paired with a sigma stem, that has the cable stop built in, so I know you're mounting on the rear but I didn't even think about the needed cable stop.

Well that's a bummer, did Nick from tririg ever respond?

DamenH85

by DamenH85

AZR3&DamenH85 wrote:...no-hanger + cable stop discussion...
Totally spaced that part lol

I have an omega paired with a sigma stem, that has the cable stop built in, so I know you're mounting on the rear but I didn't even think about the needed cable stop.

Well that's a bummer, did Nick from tririg ever respond?

Not yet; I just emailed him yesterday (Saturday), so I wouldn't expect any response until this week.

damen

androidavies

by androidavies

I have a 51cm S5 with this set up. I've raced and trained with it for the last couple of years with no problem whatsoever. I originally had just the front Tri-Rig brake fitted, but it worked so well, and the standard rear Dura Ace brake looked so inelegant on the bike by comparison, that I put one on the rear as well.

Bike ridden in hilly/medium mtns, (1500m high, or thereabouts).

I was more worried about the brake coming loose on it's bolt, or the Cervelo mount coming loose, so I put some nut grade(blue) threadlock on both, and all has been fine.

Hope this reassures you.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DamenH85

by DamenH85

::Update::

Official response from TriRig is that the picture shows a "perfectly fine" install. That is how it's intended to be installed on that bike.

I think I'm going to grind a bit of that upper corner down, then remove some spacers to get it closer to the frame. My best guess is that extra material isn't providing critical structural duties. I guess we'll find out.

damen