Speedplay Zero cleats - soak in water ok?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

superdx

by superdx

After a crazy rain ride, my shoes got soaked and now have developed a marvellous funk aroma that my wife insist I rectify immediately.

I'm about to dunk them in vinegar and water but don't want to take the Speedplay cleats off, as I'm concerned I won't be able to get the alignment back precisely where it was (the guideline markings have all worn off the sole).

Will the cleats be alright? I would dry them off with a towel and hair dryer and regrease immediately after the vinegar soak.

sungod

by sungod

dilute vinegar shouldn't be a problem, just rinse them well after

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

I was a long-time speedplay user.
I never did what you are talking about, but I strongly suspect it would be OK.
I would rinse thoroughly with plain water after the vinegar soak, just because vinegar is an acid.

superdx

by superdx

I did it in the afternoon now and seems mechanically ok. The metal bits now have a bit of rust to them probably due to the vinegar.

by 11.4

I would have told you to wash the shoes in a gentle detergent intended for shoes. The smell comes from organic matter and a detergent would be the best way to remove it. The problem with vinegar is that not only does it rust exposed surfaces somewhat, it also infiltrates threadings on the cleats and can cause them to rust and seize up. I'd suggest now that you pull each screw, one at a time, including float adjustment screws, lubricate them with some grease, and reassemble. That's to be sure you can remove the cleats at a later time when it becomes necessary.

There are specific detergents made for washing running shoes. They should work fine on cycling shoes. You didn't say which brand, but this is always a good reason for Lorica shoes if they otherwise fit you fine -- they don't smell up as fast and they clean up well. If there's still some residual smell, there are some sprays to use, especially on the insole, to neutralize anything that still wants to get funky.

superdx

by superdx

Thanks for that tip, yeah looks like I'll have to remove the screws one at a time and re-grease to prevent them from seizing up. That's doable, won't lose my positioning of the cleat.

The smell is completely gone after the vinegar/water dunk. Next time I'll just remove the cleats. The amount of rust is a bit disconcerting.

The shoes are Giro Empire ACC, the first version. Silver/green.

BRM

by BRM

won't lose my positioning of the cleat

Set some marking on the shoes and make a clear picture of both of them.

There are all kinds of shoe deo's in spraycans
https://www.google.com/search?q=shoe+de ... f0UpWljoAM

But an easy /budget product is Baking soda.
Put it in a coffeefilter and put it in your shoe
http://thegreenbacksgal.com/spring-clea ... odorizers/

eric01

by eric01

If the markings have worn off on the shoe, why wouldn't you use a permanent marker or something else to mark cleat placement?
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

superdx

by superdx

They just rub right off without washing. Don't know if it's roads, humidity or what but the markings do not stay on the sole.

reknop

by reknop

I've cleaned my Sidi Wire SP shoes including Speedplay Zero cleats last weekend. I've put them in a bucket with Vanish Oxi Action powder for about 30 minutes and blew the water from the cleats with a compressor. This will avoid building of rust, while I placed the shoes in the cloths dryer (my girlfriend has a specific program for this). :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

Flapmeat

by Flapmeat

BRM wrote:
won't lose my positioning of the cleat

Set some marking on the shoes and make a clear picture of both of them.

There are all kinds of shoe deo's in spraycans
https://www.google.com/search?q=shoe+de ... f0UpWljoAM

But an easy /budget product is Baking soda.
Put it in a coffeefilter and put it in your shoe
http://thegreenbacksgal.com/spring-clea ... odorizers/

Or just do one bolt at a time. Unscrew one, grease, screw back in. Repeat until all are done.

superdx

by superdx

Flapmeat wrote:Or just do one bolt at a time. Unscrew one, grease, screw back in. Repeat until all are done.

Did just that :) Went for a quick 10km ride and all is well. Clip in clip out no problems and no smells.

Flapmeat

by Flapmeat

Nice! If they give a little bit of trouble, try some kind of silicone lubricating spray. It should last a while and works like a charm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Dry lube on the springs ;)
Using Tapatalk