Helmet Upgrade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

calleking

by calleking

I had a Synthe before my crash but replaced with a white Protone. Fit aside - the Synthe wasn't bad but Protone seems to be of higher quality and in particular the straps which are made from some eco-leather.
Sunglasses were perhaps stored better on the Synthe since you insert them into the helmet, but if you wear a cap the arms of the sunglasses get stuck on the cap in an annoying way. This doesn't occur on the Protone as the arms are locked on to the helmet on the outside of it.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

So based on some of the glowing reviews, I ordered a Kask Protone helmet. I just received it tonight, and the straps are way to short on the back side, and not even left to right. I can't seem to find a way to adjust them. Is there??? If not, I'm going to have to return it. It's a shame, because I like everything else about the helmet.

AJS914

by AJS914

I just picked up a Giro Atmos II for $100. I like the Aeon but didn't see enough difference to justify $200. The Synthe costs around $250 and honestly I just refuse to pay $250 for styrofoam no matter how stylish or aero it is.

mimason

by mimason

rowdysluggins wrote:So based on some of the glowing reviews, I ordered a Kask Protone helmet. I just received it tonight, and the straps are way to short on the back side, and not even left to right. I can't seem to find a way to adjust them. Is there??? If not, I'm going to have to return it. It's a shame, because I like everything else about the helmet.

Not following this well. I have a protone and the dial in the back should have plenty of adjustment to dial in....

jpanspac

by jpanspac

I have an Evade. My only real gripe about it is the lack of fore-aft adjustability of the straps.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

mimason wrote:
rowdysluggins wrote:So based on some of the glowing reviews, I ordered a Kask Protone helmet. I just received it tonight, and the straps are way to short on the back side, and not even left to right. I can't seem to find a way to adjust them. Is there??? If not, I'm going to have to return it. It's a shame, because I like everything else about the helmet.

Not following this well. I have a protone and the dial in the back should have plenty of adjustment to dial in....

The dial isn't a problem. The nylon straps are. They are a set length (non-adjustable), and the yoke is at a set position on the straps (not moveable fore and aft). On my helmet, the rear section of strap is so short that when I put it on, I have to pull the rear of the helmet down and the front up just to buckle the chin strap and even then, it feels like it's choking me. Along with that, the yoke is not in the same relative location on each side, so it pulls one side more than the other. Poor / defective construction and it's going back.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

The most important thing is how it fits your head and with your riding glasses on.

I tried the Lazer Protone and it just wasn't very comfortable on my head. Other helmets I've tried fit my head well but the arms of my glasses didn't fit well.

I have been riding with a Catlike Mixino the past couple of years. It's super comfortable, very light (it's noticeable how light it is), fits my glasses well, and extremely well ventilated for hot days.

For whatever reason, though, I felt like a change so tried on a bunch of new helmets, including the Protone and a couple of Kask helments. The one I found most comfortable was the Giro Synthe, and felt it looked good too. I did not like the feel of the MIPS version -- it felt plasticky on my head and not as comfortable. So I tried the Synthe. It's not quite as light as the Mixino but otherwise I'm very happy with it.

asc8ic

by asc8ic

I'm wearing manta, but not recommend it. because it's too hot to when wear at summer.
even i wore at winter, It was quite a nice temperature.

calleking

by calleking

The Synthe is a very good helmet. Decent quality, not bulky, runs cool and storing glasses works perfect.

The Protone is better. Higher quality in general, straps are very comfortable, runs cool and is aero - storing glasses works OK (Not as good as the Synthe).
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

DaReef

by DaReef

Personally, the Evade. I've tried most of the ones you mentioned and find the Specialized helmets just fit me. Have two Evades and waiting to try on the new Prevail.

3Pio

by 3Pio

I was using Specialized Propero and Propero II for long time.

3 months ago, decide to buy a new helmet. Had a chance to just put a Kask Protone on the head, and i can say from that few minutes trying it was nice helmet. The reason i did not buy it, since i ride a lot in a hot weather, it looked to me that ventilation wont work that good for really hot weather. Also did not have idea how will work with glassess.

In meanwhile my friend borrow me to try for real ride his Giro Synthe MIPS and his Oakley Jawbreaker Road PRism.Found the MIPS version on the tight side (i wear medium), and as i consider MIPS as marketing gimmick i ordered regular version + Jawbreaker's.

Regular version definetly have just a bit more space then Mips. In this month of riding (it's winter here, so cant talk about ventilation that much), i find out very comfortable and simple (very easy to adjust). I dont feel at all that i use a helmet, and seem that is a bit more silent from the wind compared to my old one.I really like the storage for the glassess (sometimes when i climb, i like to put glassess on the helmet), and this days using with underhelmet winter cap with no problems at all.Also work very nice with JawBreakers. For me the best helmet i had until now.

moonoi

by moonoi

I'm interested in why you think MIPS is a marketing gimmick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3Pio

by 3Pio

moonoi wrote:I'm interested in why you think MIPS is a marketing gimmick

Because it is :)

NON Mips helmet is not bolt on fixed to my head, there is still movement in the case of crash.Also i have Natural MIPS Layer - Hair :) which have the same effect as MIPS helmet

I also could not find more different research that prove that MIPS really make any difference.

So thats why i consider that is marketing gimmick, and even less safe then Non Mips version. Why i think that is less safe? MIPS Synthe was less comfortable to me, then the Non-Mips version.
So if it's less comfortable, that mean im not well concentrated on my riding, so less pasive safety compared to really comfortable version (Non-Mips in this case).

And this is worst marketing, based on word "safety" (where they know that when the SAFETY word is mentioned, everyone want to spend more). If the cost difference was just the cost of that thin plastic (like 5 - 10 eur max), and if i found comfortable, maybe ok. Even then, i will think because there is like 30 gm weight difference (and i prefer helmet to be as light as possible). In the moment i was buying the difference in price between two version was like 100 eur, amount of money which can buy me more reflective clothes and put my passive safety higher.

And another question? In overall term.. Which version is safer? White and bright Non Mips Synthe vs Asphalt Gray MIPS Synthe?

I will always pick the brighter and white version...Hope u understund my point

moonoi

by moonoi

Understand where you are coming from, but the research that is published regarding MIPS shows that it is effective in reducing rotational forces, I don't think your hair is an adequate replacement [WINKING FACE] the only thing that stops me from getting a MIPS equipped helmet is the cost, I don't doubt that it works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

moonoi wrote:Understand where you are coming from, but the research that is published regarding MIPS shows that it is effective in reducing rotational forces, I don't think your hair is an adequate replacement [WINKING FACE] the only thing that stops me from getting a MIPS equipped helmet is the cost, I don't doubt that it works.

Please send me the research links, and let's discuss them. :) When i tried my self, i realised that there is NO research not sponsored by someone who benefit from that.Maybe im wrong, so that's why i ask to send that researches, and to discuss them.I still have plenty of hair :) (even im 41), so no problems with rotational forces for now. When there will be that kind of problems, i'll use some undercap :)

EDIT: http://www.bhsi.org/mips.htm

"We do not like the fact that the liner takes up space inside the helmet that could be devoted to more crushable liner. MIPS says the liner is 0.5 to 0.8mm, reducing the helmet size by 1mm to 1.6mm, so the manufacturer would have to adjust the size in some way, either selling the consumer a larger helmet or reducing the thickness of the helmet liner. Slip planes do not repeal the laws of physics, and if you reduce the distance for stopping the head, it must be stopped faster, increasing g's. So unless the helmet is made larger, we are skeptical that the thin inside MIPS layer will perform better than a conventional helmet."

The helmet community has been discussing slip planes for years, and has been cautiously examining the MIPS data to evaluate the advantages if any. Everyone agrees that mitigating rotational force is important for injury protection, particularly for anti-concussion effects. But there are questions about how much a slip plane actually helps. Helmets are not coupled closely to the head, and will slip anyway. The scalp (nature's MIPS) ensures that, and skin does not stick to EPS much, given sweat, hair, hair products and sunscreen. (The Koroyd "straws" pioneered by Smith Optics helmets might be a different story, given their known ability to abrade skin in a crash.) So the tendency for the helmet to slide on the user's head and to slide on pavement or other impact surfaces is substantial.

In the meantime, do you need MIPS? Using careful evaluation, we can't answer that. It probably won't hurt, other than any effect on ventilation, of if your manufacturer has kept the same outer profile and reduced the thickness of the normal liner to accommodate the MIPS layer, or if it lets the helmet slip too much, or if the extra cost of the MIPS model makes a difference to you. We do not see compelling evidence that you should trade in your current helmet on a MIPS model unless having the Latest Thing is important to you.