Helmet Upgrade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

evan326

by evan326

I just joined team evade. I was able to find one of the LTD Torch editions too! First thing I noticed is how much quieter it is that my cheap Giro Revel. I can tell the difference in wind noise based on my head position. Between the helmet, some matching s works 6 torch shoes, I feel faster. I'm sure I'm not, but feeling faster is enough for me.
Anyone have opinions on the evade in the summer months? Temps with humidity can get over 100F easily here in the summer. I was thinking of trying to get a previal also for hot days.

sd5500

by sd5500

TheDarkInstall wrote:I've got a Kask Protone. I went from a Mojito to that. It is a definite improvement. It fits well, the retention system is good and works with sunglasses a lot better than the Mojito, and is a semi-aero profile.

The pads seem hard wearing (I use it daily in very sweaty conditions and take it in the shower after each ride)

It is also pretty slim-line looking, unlike some other hilariously massive helmets (POC)

I can recommend it for sure.

No experience of the others.

This. Same exact scenario for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gsindela

by gsindela

One vote for the Ballista. If I had your budget, I would only be looking at MIPS models. Why not get the best protection?

See here:
http://road.cc/content/review/160464-bo ... sta-helmet

Edit: didn't realize the age of this thread, but my vote still stands.
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

I had a protone but cracked it in a crash. Amazing helmet though, and will be ordering a new one through crash replacement soon. Also, for what it's worth my head barely felt a thing when I crashed, so I guess it did its job...

Darceking

by Darceking

I have the Protone, Giro Synthe and Specialized Airnet. All are amazing helmets. I rotate them depending on the day and I could easily throw any 2 of them away and be happy with the remaining one.

Wookski

by Wookski

Synthe MIPS all the way. Regular Synthe slightly too big, MIPS = perfection.

Already saved my skull once, went out and bought two more the next day.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Got a kask Protone and a Met rivale. Used to have an evade.

the evade was the quietest, the met is the best fit and is pretty aero, but the Protone is well ventilated, so suitable for summers days.

if you want to go aero or semi aero on a budget, the Rivale takes some beating. one thing though is they are only 2 shell sizes and they may not fit all heads.

another thing is the protone doesn't play too well with Rudy project sunglasses.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

evan326 wrote:I just joined team evade. I was able to find one of the LTD Torch editions too! First thing I noticed is how much quieter it is that my cheap Giro Revel. I can tell the difference in wind noise based on my head position. Between the helmet, some matching s works 6 torch shoes, I feel faster. I'm sure I'm not, but feeling faster is enough for me.
Anyone have opinions on the evade in the summer months? Temps with humidity can get over 100F easily here in the summer. I was thinking of trying to get a previal also for hot days.

Have to agree with what you've said. It's much quieter than my previous helmet and I've noticed my head doesn't get caught as much by crosswind gusts.

I've used it in the low 90sF and it was fine as there are plenty of vents but obviously it's a personal thing. I have noticed that WT riders race in them on some very hot summer days. It might be worth trying it first.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I've just purchased a new Met Rivale for my commuter.

Not bad at £110 down to £55!
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

evan326

by evan326

5 8 5 wrote:I've used it in the low 90sF and it was fine as there are plenty of vents but obviously it's a personal thing. I have noticed that WT riders race in them on some very hot summer days. It might be worth trying it first.

Thanks for the insight, I'll wait it out first

geedawg

by geedawg

I have the Protone, MET Rivale, and Synthe. I love the Protone. . .super comfy and the aesthetics are right on. Synthe is nice too, but it just makes my head look "mushroom-y" (I have a huge head. . .size large in all the helmets).

The Rivale is also nice, but may be just a step down in terms of finish quality. However it can be had for a fraction of the price of a Protone and is a banging good deal. For my head though, the Rivale is the least comfortable out of the 3. I have a somewhat elliptical head, and the Rivale seems to fit better for more circular heads as there is a slight bit of pressure on my forehead that is noticeable after a few hours in the saddle. Not a huge deal, but I'll put it out there. It's nothing as bad as Catlike helmets, which my head just cannot fit. I'm in the camp that loves the look of he Catlikes, but there is just SO much forehead pressure from that helmet on my elliptical shaped head that I get headaches within minutes. =/

All of the aforementioned helmets work great with Oakley Jawbones, Radarlock XLs, and Jawbreakers. The retention systems don't get in the way and the shades store just fine in the vents.

Darceking

by Darceking

Brother has the MET helmet ( the most aero road one ) and said his head gets really hot in it. He's comparing it to his Giro Synthe

scabeater

by scabeater

Hi, Can anyone tell me the internal width measurement of the Met Rivale size M ? My Met Stradivarius measures about 158mm inside and I would like to know how the Rivale compares. The Stradivarius has the least sideways movement on my narrow head of any helmet I've used and I'm looking for something similar as it is time to replace the Stradivarius. Measurements for any make and model will be appreciated.

Merci d'avance !

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Just one tip, don't buy a Scott helmet. Had the cadence but I crashed and broke my back at 8 spots plus some ribs and tooths. The helm was also broken but Scott hasn't a crash replacement policy... Many brands have a huge discount on the next one...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

oraclesin

by oraclesin

i have Bontrager Ballista. it's comfortable. but if i buy another one. i will buy Kask Protone

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com