hamstring pain - bike fit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tacostand

by tacostand

I'm looking for thoughts about how to approach recurrent pain in my right lateral thigh. I think it's from my lateral hamstring muscle. Maybe IT band related as well. I had similar pain several years ago and saw several doctors and physical therapists. I had a professional bike fit by Todd Carver of Retul. I took a lot of time off the bike, stretched, and did strengthening exercises. It wasn't clear what helped - but eventually (after >1 year) the pain resolved.

I bought a new bike 5 months ago and have since had recurrent pain in the right lateral hamstring that started ~2 months after getting the new bike. The new bike is the obvious change and it seems most likely that some small variation in fit is responsible for the pain. I've tried going back to the old bike but now have pain regardless of which bike I ride. I think I probably triggered some small injury/inflammation with the change in fit so now I have pain regardless. Note - I developed the pain on the old bike in the first place years ago. The other change in my riding that could be contributing is that I moved from the East Coast to the Bay Area and now ride many more hills - often right out the door with less warm up than I'd like.

I'm going to do my best to recreate the same fit/position on the new bike as the old bike. One difference I can't easily change is crank length. I have 172.5mm cranks on the old bike and the new bike came with 175mm cranks. When I had the Retul fit years ago, they had suggested that I change to 175mm cranks. Not sure if that is likely to be the difference? I am happy to change the cranks on the new bike to 172.5 but not sure if that will make the difference.

It seems like the place to start is with another professional bike fit. Since my last fit, I've moved and can't go back to the same guy. Wondering if anyone has recommendations for a good bike fitter in the Bay Area? I'm in the East Bay but willing to travel. Finding a good physical therapist would also probably be a good idea. If I can find a physical therapist with experience in bike fit, that might be the best combination.

Has anyone had similar hamstring problems and if so, what helped?

If anyone can recommend a Bay Area bike fitter, that would be a big help. There's an abundance of "expert fitters" that come up on google but some personal endorsements would be great.

Thanks!

flashpunk

by flashpunk

Check out http://fittedbypedro.com/

Also, have you tried hamstring stretches? I've had itbs pain for over a year and finally I went to a PT part month and I have been pain free since. I'll post a photo of the stretches and exercises they have me doing now:

There biggest help has been #6 for me. Thing to keep in mind while doing these is to keep your ankle at a 90 degree angle (opposite of pointed) at all times.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Is it possible it's in Gluteus major? It inserts a fair way down the femur and can give pain that might seem like a hamstring. Either way I'd suggest stretching both (lots!!) as long as long as it's not so inflamed at the moment that stretching irritates it.

Lowering the saddle a bit should take some tension out of the hamstrings. I would have thought shorter cranks would be better too, no?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

tacostand

by tacostand

Thanks for the replies! I don't think it's gluteus major but could be wrong. The pain started in the lateral, posterior knee and then migrated up to what feels like the belly of the lateral hamstring.

I agree that the longer crank arms could be making things worse. The longer length came with the new bike - and I wasn't having pain at the time so I didn't think about it too much. But I should look into swapping them for the same 172.5mm length I previously had for >15 years riding.

I've been trying to stretch my hamstrings a lot. Also trying to make sure I get a good warm up before going hard or starting any big climbs.

flashpunk

by flashpunk

Be careful not to stretch too much, stretching puts those muscle groups into a state of relaxation, so essentially your turning them off.

Foam rolling does has a similar effect.