Paging Clannagh, FastDad, Cryptic and other custom carbon people

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

How about getting one of these CF 3D printers and going hog wild? Your creations have been so inspiring for me. I can't imagine the things you will come up with with one of these.
http://carbon3d.com
Last edited by WannabeWeenie on Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CamW

by CamW

Because it actually doesn't print CF? There is a 3D printer out there which does print with CF but it has some pretty serious limitations compared to standard carbon manufacture.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

Crap. I saw the name Carbon and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

What's the name of the one that does it for real ?

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

There is a printer called the mark forged that prints carbon reinforced parts. It's a lot of added strength over a standard 3D printed part but it's still no where near the strength you get from traditional composite manufacturing techniques. Also the material used to print with is extremely expensive and only able to be bought through them. The tech will get there eventually but for now I don't see it being useful for us bike guys. (That's the carbon printing not regular 3D printing) traditional 3D printers are extremely helpful for a frame builder. So many useful small parts, jigs, holders, spacers etc can be made quick.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

esta

by esta

The printing of cfrp isn't a viable option right now. Almost every project is at a very early step of their development.
But for building composite parts a regular 3d printer is great, making molds is so much easier and building the part via VARTM is no problem at all.

Werking
in the industry

by Werking

I build some many mold prototype for layup carbon fiber. I have 2 3d printer, the classic FDM and a SLA technology. The carbon filament is a myth, beacuse in the petg, pla or nylon base filaments the manufacturer adds some short (very short) carbon fiber. So it's a compound filaments but the characteristics of the classic lamination are very far. The CLIP technology is very fast but is onlye a version of SLA but with fast build. The base polymer of these materials are the same, it's like a resin.
http://werking.cc - Handcrafted bicycles - Made in Italy

http://alpitude.cc - bike components

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com