Colnago C60 rear brake rub. Stiffer wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RedRacer

by RedRacer

My set-up is a Colnago C60 58s with DA 9000 brakes, SwissStop Black Price pads and Bontrager Aeolus 5 TLR Clinchers but I am getting bad brake rub/drag when climbing out of the saddle or sprinting.

I previously had the Bontrager cork pads installed and I think they masked the problem because they are so quiet and not at all grabby but with the SwissStop pads I can hear and feel the drag, especially when climbing out of the saddle on inclines greater than ~8%. I have the rear brake adjusted so loose that the lever almost contacts the bars before I get full stopping power. I have also tried three different rear QR skewers just to make sure that isn't the problem.

At this point I think it must either be a soft frame (doubtful!) or a wheel build that just isn't well-suited to this combination of parts and my 80kg.

If this problem is caused by the wheels what are the stiffest sub-1600g 50mm clinchers out there? Probably Lightweight but I am hoping for something a bit less costly.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Definitely the wheelz. My rear 24H Archetype rubs on my C59. No rub with my Boras.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Opposite load = top of wheel, between pads

Last edited by beeatnik on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedRacer

by RedRacer

huck*this wrote:Re-tension wheels?

Maybe :noidea: To what tension?

eric

by eric

Unless the spokes are so loose that they go slack there's no real difference in deflection with spoke tension. See Damon Rinard's wheel tests.

The Bontrager wheels I have seen have a fairly narrow NDS flange spacing. That makes for less unequal spoke tension right/left but makes a flexier wheel. Ways to make a wheel stiffer-

-more spokes
-wider flange spacing
-stiffer larger cross section spokes
-stiffer (larger cross section) rim

One thing I have noticed with out of the saddle climbing is that my pedalling style and how much I rock the bike side to side makes a difference in the amount of brake rub I get. Probably not someting you want to hear (it's not for me!) but you could modify your out of the saddle style...

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Do you have another bike where you could use to see if it rubs with the same wheels? Could there be a defect or crack in the frame that's not visible with the naked eye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedRacer

by RedRacer

eric wrote:One thing I have noticed with out of the saddle climbing is that my pedalling style and how much I rock the bike side to side makes a difference in the amount of brake rub I get. Probably not someting you want to hear (it's not for me!) but you could modify your out of the saddle style...

Valid point but I think my out-of-the-saddle technique is quite smooth and this brake rub problem hasn't happened on my last five road bikes so I think it is something about the C60 / Bontrager / DA 9000 combo that isn't working...

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Check the quick release first. Most of the times that's the problem

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

RedRacer

by RedRacer

XCProMD wrote:Check the quick release first. Most of the times that's the problem

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I run my QRs very tight and have tried three different ones (Ti, Ti and heavy steel) with no change :(

jimborello

by jimborello

I had the exactly same problem in an AX Vial Evo with Ciamillo micro G brakes and an enve 6.7 wheelset. I switched the wheels to Bora Ultras and problem solved.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com