Selle Italia SLR flow vs an SLR Superflow S (130) - SADDLES

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Does anyone have experience with a Selle Italia SLR flow vs an SLR Superflow S (130).

Bought an SLR flow to replace a Specialized Power i'd been using since the autumn. A bit annoyed to have to replace the Power as it was very comfortable on my sit bones for 100+ miles rides but as it got warmer it gave me a sore where inner thigh was rubbing on the side because it was quite wide in the middle foe a narrow width saddle.

Got the SLR Flow in a rush to ride at the weekend whilst still very sore. Did 120 miles on it and found it great. It was good on the sit bones and much narrower through the middle which stopped the rubbing. Also it has a little more flex in the middle compared to the Power. The cut-out does it's job without being noticeable and it certainly is a nice looking saddle. It's quite slippery which may bother some people but I quite like that is I rarely stay in one position for long. Not tried it on longs climbs which do tend to show up saddle issues but not much chance of that where I live; it's all flat and I do 30-50% of my rides on the drops. Reminds me of Selle Italia SLK I used for about 10 years till it wore out and when I went to replace it they's stopped making it.

So thought I'd try an SLR Superflow S as it looked like a more comfortable version of the SLR Flow but having done just one ride I don't think I like it. To me it seems a lot firmer in the middle which puts more pressure on the inside of the seat bones making it feel harder and wider even though it's exactly the same shape and classed as an S3 by their measurements. I havea feeling it is suited to heavier riders and I've heard some say the ALR Flow can sag in the middle? I'm 56 kg and feel the SLR Flow give a little but the SLR Superflow does not seem to.

Has anyone had experience with these saddles? I know saddles are very subjective but i'd be interested to hear from anyone who is an S3 on the Selle Italia ID match who has tried both.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BlueberryCake

by BlueberryCake

Hello there, I'm 65kg and I've been using the SLR Superflow in 145mm width for about 3 years now.

Comfort: When paired together with a pair of bib-shorts I find them comfortable enough for rides all day long, whether long or short. I won't deny there is a higher pressure buildup in the middle of the saddle at the hugee cut-out, so it definitely is uncomfortable even on short commutes to pick up essentials/groceries when i'm just wearing normal shorts.

Durability: In the 3 years that i've been using them, I've been through 3 of the same ones. Not the most durable as my first 2 cracked near the middle portion of the composite shell. I'm guessing it's because the edges of the shell are rather thin in the middle to make way for the cut-out, hence causing a pressure build-up in that region.

I might give other brands like Astute, Selle San Marco a try when my current one cracks :lol:

mrlobber

by mrlobber

cmcdonnell wrote:Does anyone have experience with a Selle Italia SLR flow vs an SLR Superflow S (130).
So thought I'd try an SLR Superflow S as it looked like a more comfortable version of the SLR Flow but having done just one ride I don't think I like it. To me it seems a lot firmer in the middle which puts more pressure on the inside of the seat bones making it feel harder and wider even though it's exactly the same shape and classed as an S3 by their measurements. I havea feeling it is suited to heavier riders and I've heard some say the ALR Flow can sag in the middle? I'm 56 kg and feel the SLR Flow give a little but the SLR Superflow does not seem to.

Haven't specifically made any Selle Italia ID match, but I've ridden both SLR Flow and SLR Superflow, and by my feelings I can completely agree to your statement that the Superflow feels much "firmer" (and I'm 75kg). The initial comfort did not seem to be much different, however, the perceived (or real) firmness of the Superflow definitely shows itself on those longer rides where the road surface is not ideal.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike