Removing white lettering from Lightweight Obermeyer Milenstein wheel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wootenlakeguy

by wootenlakeguy

I recently purchased a Lightweight Meilenstein Obermayer rear wheel to compliment my Addict SL build. However, the wheel has four white "Lightweigh" logos on both sides of the wheel. Looking at them, I believe they're not decals but paint. I can't tell if the paint is over or under the clear coat.

My question is how do I safely remove these painted logos? Is it as simple as rubbing them off with acetone, or would that damage the finish and attack the carbon fiber?

Yes, I realize the new Weiss edition has black decals, but unfortunately that's not what I have to work with. All the remaining components on my bike have been denuded, and with the mat black finish of the frame and fork, I'd like to achieve the same look by removing the white logos from the rear wheel.

I'd appreciate advice from anyone who's tried to do the same with Lightweight wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I have the normal Meilensteins with the same white lettering, and I think it looks very nice!

Not sure why you'd want to take it off, especially as it won't be easy - I wouldn't want to use anything chemical, and sanding my ruin the look of the wheels.

sungod

by sungod

is this with the word "lightweight" four times each side? i think these are the previous generation obermayer, i used to have these but with the lettering in black

when i used it for cleaning, acetone did not affect it or the minimal clearcoat