Handlebars Advice Please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ScapinBoy

by ScapinBoy

I bought a Scapin Fazer, which I love but to get her built I had to skimp on parts. I am upgrading bit by bit but the shop I bought off and developed a good relationship with closed.

First on my shopping list is a new set of handlebars. Websites have a plethora of detail but I don't really find it enlightening. Do I go compact or not? Carbon, aluminium or composite? Is shoulder width really a good guide for me? I'm thinking carbon but not wedded to the idea. I run Campy Athena (will look at Chorus or Record in a year or two when I get more wear. Zonda wheels so she's a Campy bike throughout. (A dream come true!!) :D I also have an FSA carbon stem so I don't want integrated bars.

Primary criteria is comfort (love a long ride) and weight (no surprise there)

I would go to a shop but my experience with retail stores is they sell whats best for them, not me. I guess I'm saying I don't know who to trust for advice.

I am five foot 9 and a bit (177cms?) and 70kgs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Scapin Boy - Melbourne Australia
Last edited by ScapinBoy on Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

What bars are you using at the moment. Can you comfortably reach the hoods?
If no - maybe look for shorter reach bars. If yes - similar reach
Likewise drop - if you find it a stretch to use the drops - get shallower bars
You'll find you can cut out a lot of options quite quickly if you narrow down what you're looking for fit wise

Pugrot

by Pugrot

Buy cheap alloy ones like deda or whatever in different sizes and try them out, will take a couple of goes to find what your happy with unless you get lucky, well before you commit to a a carbon expensive pair in the exact shape you want, even now though I've changed mind a few times. If you want to try some 44s in Mel and your around s.e subs lemme know

ScapinBoy

by ScapinBoy

Sound advice. Thanks.

Dropped a line to the owner of the shop that closed. He's riding in Italy with a group- something he's done for a while. Living the dream.

He suggested a contact I can try too but I think the current dimensions are pretty good

I saw some swept ones on another Scapin and thought they looked sweet but I get there are plenty of gimmicks out there too. I so love my bike and I want her to be best I can make her because I know how sweet a frame I have.

I've ridden steel frame singles as a kid to school, paper rounds, everywhere. Had an old Malvern Star which I thought was the ants pants. Bought a lovely steel custom thirty years ago, (giving away my age) which I thought was my pinnacle, now I have a piece of Italian sculpture the like I never dreamed of. I've even named her (Cinzia) Just want to do her justice.

Thanks for the welcome too :)

Scapin Boy

kgt

by kgt

Welcome and show us your Scapin!

ScapinBoy

by ScapinBoy

Try as I might, I can't find a way to reduce a 2MG file to 160KB. I am not very IT savvy :noidea:

junchen

by junchen

ScapinBoy wrote:Try as I might, I can't find a way to reduce a 2MG file to 160KB. I am not very IT savvy :noidea:

If u use Android or iPhone, download the Tapatalk app. U should be able to easily upload pics using the app.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

ScapinBoy

by ScapinBoy

Scapin Fazer 20160610A.jpg

ScapinBoy

by ScapinBoy

Still at it...

The photo doesn't do her justice. There are nicer bikes on this site but I love her
Attachments
Scapin Fazer 20160610A.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com