Selecting between an Aero Road bike vs a Time Trial bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thank you Lelandjt. Did you also remove the steer tube expander? I'm using an expander system from my previous Fuji Altimira that's lighter than the stock SL system. I'm safety conscious and I wouldn't consider replacing the expander system to save weight. I believe the top cap is needed to prevent the stem from loosening over time. All it takes is a very small movement and your headset bearings will lose the preload.

Currently I have the Quarq GXP power meter. I purchased the power meter before I bought the SL. Yes I can save quite a bit of weight by going to BB30 however I'm afraid of the problems a PF30 BB will bring. I'm not a big fan of the BB30 over the GPX but I understand the weight advantage. My Praxis converter BB is as solid as a rock, and super smooth with very little friction.

I kept my Red 22 chainrings because I don't want to sacrifice shifting performance. I've seen other people swap out for lighter chainrings only to be disappointed later.

There's really not much else I could do to save weight on my SL unless I trade away reliability, performance, and safety.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Yes, I removed the expander plug after adjusting the headset and tightening the stem. I haven't experienced and loosening. I realize this isn't recommended because the stem could slip upward and the plug reinforces the steerer against crushing but what can I say, I live on the edge;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liam7020

by liam7020

crux wrote:
Lelandjt wrote:This thread reminds me that I've been meaning to ask:
What is the lightest frame with some attention paid to aero? It needs to do noticably better in the wind tunnel than a bike that was designed purely for lightweight. I think I saw that the Super 6 Evo has some aero shaping?
What is the lightest true aero frame? This has to give up little in aerodynamics to the class leaders. I'm thinking Dogma F8 X-light or whatever it was called. Maybe thay one doesn't count though cuz you can't buy it. Maybe the Scott Foil?

The F8 and Foil are two of the lightest aero frames out there.

F8 frame (54cm) 860g fork 360g total = 1220g
Foil frame (54cm) 945g fork 335g total = 1280g

Maybe want to re-think those F8 weights - my 55cm F8 is 1075g frame and 380g cut fork.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

boots2000

by boots2000

Do you ride alone or ride with others?
If you ride with others an aero road bike is the way to go- aero bars don't really work well with a group.
one thing to consider is your relative strength to the others that you ride with.
the bike will give you 1-2 mph on the open road. But if the other riders who you ride with are about the same level- you may find yourself pulling faster, pissing them off, etc. But if you are weaker or if this is a competitive group it may be just the thing.
last thing to consider is other parts. If you are getting an aero road bike it is stupid to outfit it with anything other than aero carbon wheels and an aero road handlebar. Also might want to consider an aero road helmet- if your going that way, why go halfway?

crux

by crux

liam7020 wrote:Maybe want to re-think those F8 weights - my 55cm F8 is 1075g frame and 380g cut fork.

Hm maybe is your weight with the bearings?
I've found the data on some sites which sell the F8 frame and on every site was the same text with the informations above.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Lelandjt wrote:Yes, I removed the expander plug after adjusting the headset and tightening the stem. I haven't experienced and loosening. I realize this isn't recommended because the stem could slip upward and the plug reinforces the steerer against crushing but what can I say, I live on the edge;)

No wonder your Transonic SL is so light :shock: Did you also do the same on your tandem :lol: I also have a tandem and I'm not messing with any weight saving techniques. By the way the carbon steer tube on my tandem is 1.25"

Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

crux wrote:
liam7020 wrote:Maybe want to re-think those F8 weights - my 55cm F8 is 1075g frame and 380g cut fork.

Hm maybe is your weight with the bearings?
I've found the data on some sites which sell the F8 frame and on every site was the same text with the informations above.

I doubt anyone posting weights for their frameset would include bearings. Published weights are useless. Very few websites (one in the U.S. that I'm aware of) do publish actual weights.

wingguy

by wingguy

crux wrote:Hm maybe is your weight with the bearings?

Yeah, some companies are very well known for quoting rather... optimistic weights for their frames. Pinarello has always been one of them.

Historically they've taken the weight of a tiny frame, unpainted, without mech hangers, cable guides and collars, and then just shaved a bit more of that for good measure :wink:

da123

by da123

wingguy wrote:
crux wrote:Hm maybe is your weight with the bearings?

Yeah, some companies are very well known for quoting rather... optimistic weights for their frames. Pinarello has always been one of them.

Historically they've taken the weight of a tiny frame, unpainted, without mech hangers, cable guides and collars, and then just shaved a bit more of that for good measure :wink:

Not sure of the exact frame and fork weight, but my 52 H1 Madone with vapor coat colour paint job, Di2 and WR Compositi wheels is 6.2kg (with pedals and cages). The H1 is noticeably lighter than the H2 (I've had both in a 52 due to a warranty issue with the H2).

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

boots2000 wrote:Do you ride alone or ride with others?
If you ride with others an aero road bike is the way to go- aero bars don't really work well with a group.

What would you (or others) recommend for riding alone, at a moderate pace? (I averaged 26 km/h on a 200km brevet last weekend)

Keeping in mind that for longer distance comfort is important too as is the ability to stow some (rain)gear and food on the bike; I think I saved quite some time by only stopping briefly at the controls and eating while riding.

And yes, if I wanted the ultimate in speed for these events I would just buy one of these 8) but I'd like to stick to regular bicycles for now.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

An aero bike is perfect for long distance brevets. Most people think the aero advantage only comes in at high speeds. This is not true. At slower speeds you will save even more time from an aero bike.

And remember a drop of 1 bar in tire pressure will make the most rigid riding bike a most comfortable bike.

stormur

by stormur

Show me please F8 on scale showing 860g @54
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

crux

by crux

stormur wrote:Show me please F8 on scale showing 860g @54

I can say it again for you, google "Dogma F8 weight" and look on the pages where they sell it.
I only repeated what they wrote.

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

pdlpsher1 wrote:An aero bike is perfect for long distance brevets. Most people think the aero advantage only comes in at high speeds. This is not true. At slower speeds you will save even more time from an aero bike.

i hate hearing this marketing sentence regurgitated. out of REAL context, its completely absurd.

the slower you go, obviously the more potential time saved.

crawling 1kph over 40km takes 1.5 days. you know how else to save 1.5 days worth of time? pedal a bit harder.

stormur

by stormur

crux wrote:
stormur wrote:Show me please F8 on scale showing 860g @54

I can say it again for you, google "Dogma F8 weight" and look on the pages where they sell it.
I only repeated what they wrote.

Just browesed 500-600 googled images with "Dogma F8 weight" - ZERO frames on scale. Without image it didn't happened , isn't it ?

Nevermind, question was rethoric, I know it doesn't. Every owner does, even on this forum was given - at least once - real weight.

860g for F8 in 54 is same truth like "Caad10 is compliant" ( and with veery small font : "on 25mm tires and soft saddle on high quality pavement" ) :mrgreen:

Just don't believe everything what people write; most of them do as you did: re-write others crap ( sometimes even in good faith ) :welcome:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com