Campagnolo SR/Record/Chorus 2014 shifters & pre-2014 crankset: experiences?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

+1
Correct set-up always solves any issue. All Campagnoilo groupsets were and are designed to shift perfectly. That means that the rider has to check frequently, be careful, adjust when necessary, keep clean etc .etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

sawyer wrote:HI Graeme, I had in mind the fairwheel test, though based on what you've said that might not capture the relevant dimensions of chainring stiffness

http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews- ... k-testing/

Nonetheless I would stand by my view that the real world impact of the changes is really marginal, perhaps there is a different perspective for daily users who can't have the bike perfectly set up all the time than there is for product testers who live and breathe the stuff and get excited about incremental improvements in the lab ... which is to say it was good before, and is still good ... :thumbup:

Yep, they've missed the point of the migration to the four arm design, big time.

Look at it this way - you can next-to-no deflection at the pedal end of the crank (so a stiff crank / BB axle / crank-axle interface) and a chairing made of wet cardboard - will it shift? Probably not ...

It is true to say that the shift differences are quite marginal - but we are (and have been for at least a decade or so) in a pretty marginal world.

We also need to consider that if we see an improvement in (in the context of this discussion) shift fluency above a certain degree of applied torque, some percentage of users will never know it's there because they are not capable of applying that level of torque. Again, the property only becomes evident at the very edges of the envelope.

However - at the extremes of use, marginal differences matter - even if they are really only of significance in the riders' heads. Let's face it - when you are fitting clean 'bar tape to the 'bars the night before a tough mountain stage to make your rider feel better about his bike (and all of us who have been team mechanics have done that kind of thing), marginality is where it is at ... as one team manager said to me after I whinged about doing something that I felt was particularly pointless, "I know that. You know that - but don't (insert Anglo-Saxon verb here) with my rider's head!" ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

reippuert

by reippuert

Pre 2015 11s-speed front deraillures are a pain to use with 10 speed shifters, the FD throw changed when campy swictched from 10 to 11 speed microshift. There are only a very few micro clicks available durring the range so the trim fuction is more or less useless and if your a not precise when setting up you'd end up missing half a microclick on the big chainring - really anoying.

on my new gravel build im using:

Chorus 2007 10 speed shifters.
Chorus 2015 Front deraillure (S2 version)
Chorus 2015 Crankset

works like a charm... Apperantly the leverthrow was more or less changed back with the 2015 revolution FD to something simliar to 2007 10-speed. Of course there is no 4 click adjust/shift like the new 2015 shifters but i actually prefer the wide range microsadjustment of the 2007 shifters combined with the brute force of the 2015 Revolution FD.
The result is: beste mechainical FD shifting out there - period. requires at lot less power to operate than my full 2015 Revolution or the XTR 98x 10 speed on my MTB.

+ a SRAM X0 type 2.1 rear deraillure, XTR 10 speed 11-36 casette and a 11 speed wipperman chain - also works like a charm... SRAMpagnolo dual-wide-range-gearing.
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

neeb

by neeb

Decided to stick with the full pre-2014 setup. Realised that my front shifting problems were probably due to using 3rd party chainrings. Switched to the latest Campagnolo XPSS rings in 52/36 and things are much, much better.