Thoughts on rim depth and it's effect on handling?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I'm currently looking for a new set of aero road wheels and am torn between depths, whether to stick with 50-60mm or go deeper at 70-80mm. My main debate is over how much a deeper rim will slow the handling of the bike. At the moment I switch between a set of Bora 35s and some Williams System 58s and notice quite a big slowing of the handling of the bike, especially a slight reluctance to turn in when on the deeper/heavier wheels.

What I've been trying to get my head around is whether this slowing is caused purely by weight, the Williams are nearly 300g heavier than the Boras. Or whether it's caused by the slight increase in pressure on the side of the larger rim, or a combination of the two.

So, does anyone have experience or a good explanation for this? I'm guessing it's down the the weight/inertia of the deeper and heavier rim. Leading on from that, would a lighter but deeper wheelset, like the Enve 7.8s feel like a quicker handling wheelset than the current Williams?

Marin

by Marin

In my experience it's just the weight.

Solution: Get a really light set :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Why not just put a disc wheel on the front? #MaxAeroGainz

campbellrae

by campbellrae

The wheels will be shared between road & TT duties, hence the temptation to go deeper. I'm also really big/heavy, 1.95m & 95kgs, so unless it's really windy crosswinds shouldn't be too much of an issue. I don't like slow handling, so if I can get a more aero set up without slowing turn in any more I'll be happy.