UPDATE: Rue Uberlight now 3,346g (7.38lbs)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

donald

by donald

Finally, after all these years, I took 2 grams off the bottom of the bottom bracket and one gram off the front derailleur hanger, for a frame that now weighs 597 grams. I took more off the crankset, it now weighs 304 grams. The bigger reduction is from my new saddle/seatpost combo. I used my dash saddle with a schmolke post. Total weight 68 grams, and that is with a 300mm long shaft. A light saddle alone weighs that. I have about 1,200 miles on this combo; no problems (I weigh 138lbs @ 5'10'').

For a couple of years now instead of cut inner tubes for hoods I have been using a cut, flexible work glove. Lighter, more flexible ones work best, also the thumb looks better. Just cut the ends to the right shape. They have been very durable. Also I have used thin packing foam with some black "Flex Seal", a liquid rubber coating. One can spray or brush it on the foam. As time wears some of the coating away one can just add more. There are many brands of gloves, one has to find the right ones.

Carbon pad holders with all hardware is 14 grams. I recently took 1 gram off the two rear holders but I have been using these at this weight for over 5 years without problems.

Carbon bar ends, 1.7 grams the pair.
Carbon 10mm wrench for bolt-on skewers, 4.9 grams.
Attachments
IMG_0091.JPG
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG

RyanH

by RyanH

Any thoughts on where you want to save weight next?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rma

by rma

Hey, slam that stem and cut the excess steerer... Will save you 10-20g

donald

by donald

I'd like to have a custom fork made that weights 200g or less. This frame made 9 years ago was specifically made with a very short headtube to save weight and it's a little more aero this way. Making the headtube this short saved more weight than the spacer and extra stearer tube. The spacer weighs practically nothing; would I have a heavy spacer on a bike like this?

kode54

by kode54

how's the saddle attached to the post? did you bond these together?

way to go Donald. that's a lot of tuning going on.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

donald

by donald

The saddle is attached the same way as my previous combo, the 96g combo [http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132517]. I have been using the 96g since 2015 with no problems so I doubt there will be problems with the 68g combo.

wingguy

by wingguy

donald wrote:The spacer weighs practically nothing; would I have a heavy spacer on a bike like this?

Well, yeah. I mean, clearly you haven't thought very much about this build :wink: :lol:

That thing is epic. If you ever retire it from riding duties it shoud be hung up in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

xena
Banned

by xena

Don, can I call you Don "your the man" :lol:
You could cut off the parts of your carbon bar ends that go inside and just glue/bond the flat circular part straight on to your bars . Could save a gram " hopefully"
A gram on your bikes counts .

As usual AWESOME .
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

donald

by donald

xena wrote:You could cut off the parts of your carbon bar ends that go inside and just glue/bond the flat circular part straight on to your bars . Could save a gram " hopefully"
A gram on your bikes counts .

I thought of doing that many years ago but since I change my bar tape every so often and since my bar ends are so light I have always gone with my current setup.

I know you just glue the ends on (on your bike) and I think that's great! You have done some fantastic things to your bikes! Keep it going!

CBJ

by CBJ

Soon your only option will be helium instead of air in the tubes to save weight :-)

Amazing work!

2lo8

by 2lo8

donald wrote: Making the headtube this short saved more weight than the spacer and extra stearer tube. The spacer weighs practically nothing; would I have a heavy spacer on a bike like this?

Wouldn't the steer tube be the same length no matter what the length of the head tube? The spacer just makes up for the shorter head tube. Although with a higher rise stem, you could get rid of the spacer and steerer. It would be a little stiffer in theory too. A more direct line from the supported upper headset to the handlebars.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

donald

by donald

Yes, the steerer would be the same length and my stem rises just the right amount now with this spacer. This is the way I decided to go back then and the fit has been perfect. The weight savings is basically just in having an extremely light spacer instead of more head tube. This setup is still very stiff.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Just a great bike and project.....thanks a lot for sharing with us!
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

jimborello

by jimborello

Damn Don that bike is awesome!!! You make my 5.2kg bike feel like a pork =(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

craciunptr

by craciunptr

Amazing! I love it and I agree you should exhibit at the moma. Could you please also post more pictures of the bike from other angles and details of the tuned parts? Would love to see the full extent of your tunning efforts.