UPDATE: Rue Uberlight now 3,346g (7.38lbs)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

donald

by donald

craciunptr, I don't have any other recent pictures. My son who lives and works in another state was visiting, had his camera, and took the pictures. I don't have a camera and my phone doesn't take pictures. I am very low-tec with some . things in my life. Some pictures of the bike and some parts have been posted a number of times here in past years. Also I didn't have many pictures in the way of various steps in the tuning process. In the past 9 years I have spent many, many hours on just about every component. And many parts were already the lightest one could buy. I have had many ww bikes and have been doing this for over 30 years, just not quite to the extent of this one. Also one can't see everything just with pictures.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

If i'm ever in your area I would love to come shoot a photo gallery of the bike for you. As always amazing work....one of my top 3 all time favorite bikes.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

Marin

by Marin

Amazing. Thanks for sharing this!

Marin

by Marin

Donald, would you care to tell us a little bit about the type and amount of riding you do on your Überlight builds?

I shared this thread to our club site and we've got the usual doubters ;)

donald

by donald

Thanks to all for all the kind, positive comments. Kevin, I'm retired now and my wife wanted a change from San Francisco so we bought a vacation home in Las Vegas. We still have our house in S F, and spend time there, but right now I'm in Vegas. Marin, the Rue has about 40,000 miles on it. I ride it about three days a week. It has many, many miles on it on some very rough SF bay area roads. Some people don't believe the bike is ridden but I assure you it is, and again, I ride it all the time. Anyone living or visiting Vegas can see it and go for a ride with me. My e-mail is djbdeva@yahoo.com I raced and did many club and group rides for over 35 years in the SF bay area. The bike before the Rue was a custom aluminum Peter Teschner, 795 grams, raced at 9.2 lbs. for 4 years (2003-2007). I met Peter Teschner at Interbike 16 years ago. Before that it was a custom made, Scandium, aluminum Chris Huber, one of the first scandium frames. Raced at 12 lbs. (1998-2003). Before that I raced on a Klein. Since I started riding road bikes in 1970, I have had many, many bikes.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I need you to help me build a 10lb tandem :-) Possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rms13

by rms13

I'm not really sure what I am looking at. It's not April 1 right?

austke

by austke

I'm not really sure what I am looking at. It's not April 1 right?

Just the Ultimate WW build. Dah!!!
This is what WW was originally built upon.
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

donald

by donald

I think a 10 lb. tandem is possible in a smaller frame size and for lighter riders. One might have to watch for the bigger pot holes though.

Marin

by Marin

Donald, thanks for your reply!

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Crazy.

Grinley

by Grinley

Donald, thanks for posting continual updates over the years. Every time I see your bike it inspires me to make my bike lighter and lighter. It is impressive to see someone so dedicated to shaving every little bit of weight possible. Keep up the great work, I hope you get to put another 40,000 miles on it.

donald

by donald

Grinley, Thanks for the comments. It has been a fun time with this bike. I do plan to put another 40,000 miles on it. I wish you and all weight weenies fun times tuning and riding your bikes.

BmanX

by BmanX

What about open bar end plugs? Maybe drill out the centers a bit to lighten them up. Do they really need to be closed. I saw in another thread some Delrin open versions that looked interesting?

how about 1 x 10 now that you are living somewhere that has less hills now. could lose even more.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Has anyone tried with just the front brake on to save weight :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com