UPDATE: Rue Uberlight now 3,346g (7.38lbs)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Awesome work as always Donald! I would love to see this in person some day.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

Donald, I never cease to be astonished at the low weight of your wheels, especially from the Fred Johnson rims. They contribute so little to the total weight of your bike compared to pretty much every other bike out there. I'm also amazed at their durability.

I still remember the stories Rue told me about when you commissioned the build of your frame. Keep tuning and enjoying your ride, brother!
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

2old4this

by 2old4this

And just as I was shaving weight from my derailleur, the bar has been raised so height, it is impossible to reach. Awesome job...

donald

by donald

TheDarkInstall, That's funny. Kidding aside, my lightest helmet is 175 grams, my lightest shoes are 452 grams the pair with cleats. I do carry very light, minimal tools just in a small bag in the jersey pocket and usually just one water bottle. Also I don't use a garmin. Kevosinn, I hope you can see the bike some day. I admire all your work and for you to win the best new builder at NAHBS is just awesome. I always look forward to see what you have next. Mythical, I always look forward to your posts, you have such good knowledge about so many things and some of your stuff is really special. The Fred Johnson rims really do hold up well but I do have problems with little cracks forming around the spoke hole. Often I repair them and also sometimes I use a Ti. or carbon washer inside as well as some 4,500 psi epoxy. I also tend to build the wheels with a little less spoke tension then most people would. The wheels are still OK with my 138 lbs. and there is less cracks. 2old4this, I did have to spend a lot of time on that derailleur but most of the time I enjoy the time spent.

t3racing

by t3racing

Lm

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

Really nice Bike and nice weight. Keep on the interesting work :)

donald

by donald

Fuchspk, I really like your bike, fantastic weight and it is really very unique. I think we both do some interesting things.

ardi69gain

by ardi69gain

donald wrote:Fuchspk, I really like your bike, fantastic weight and it is really very unique. I think we both do some interesting things.

Yes u both do fantastic things, love the bikes

Sent from my SM-A710F using Tapatalk

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

Thanks a lot :)

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

donald wrote:I always appreciate all the positive comments from everyone. As I said, in March the frame will be 10 yrs. old. As far as I remember Rue was able to get this special carbon through his connections to edge/enve who had access to a very limited number of special aerospace industry carbon and resin. Rue was special and really knew how to work with this carbon and was able to create this uber light frame which is strong, stiff and impact resistant. It continues to be a very special frame. But in all my racing and group rides it was always more about the friendship and just having fun with whatever we were riding. Of course there are differences in frames and components but I never felt that because my bikes were lighter that they were necessarily better other than climbing. It is still us, the experiencer, who has the skill to ride and enjoy whatever our full potential is. Having a bike this light is just something I enjoy and I am able to make it work for riding.

Wow. As a brand new member of this site, but someone who has frequented internet message boards for decades, I have to say that this is one of the most reasoned, calm, and just plain friendly posts I have ever read. Congrats on your almost unbelievably light build. Truly impressive. I work in SF and hope to see your bike in person out here someday.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

donald

by donald

Hi wheelbuilder, I appreciate your comment. I have been spending most of my time in Las Vegas for now. Also because of that, there are much better roads here ,I will probably build up a uber light rear tubular wheel. I think that, and a few other little mods, I will bring the weight down to 3,198 grams.

BmanX

by BmanX

Who will go sub 3 first
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

donald

by donald

BmanX, I am aware you can appreciate ww bikes and other kinds of bikes, and getting out to ride. From time to time I do various mods. and change some parts, etc. to my Rue. I could go 1X10, eliminating a f. derailleur, chainring and shifter. I could do other things whereby I could still ride the bike and easily get below 3 K. My intent was always an uber light bike that I can ride all the time at a very light weight. I ride a lot and feel very good about what is reliable and safe, especially wheels. I have been building my own wheels for over 40 years. Someone can build a light bike but do they ride it very much at or somewhat close to the claimed weight. I can appreciate anyone from the past or today who can and is riding an uber light ww bike and I am always learning and appreciating so many people and their bikes on WW.

2old4this

by 2old4this

Donald,
I think I am with you on this one. I like riding my bikes, as opposed to having a light one at the cost of not being able enjoy it. Where I bike, I cannot do without gears, my seat has to be comfortable for long rides, I have to have some padding on top of the handlebars (good tape), the tires have to be less prone to puncture. With those limitations, it is impossible to go below 9 lb for me. And that is OK by me...
Having said all that, I am still envious of your bike...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

donald

by donald

2old4this, thanks for your comments. Maybe you can at some point get below 9 lbs. I think it is possible. I have said it many times, cycling is to enjoy and we can't really enjoy it if something isn't quite right for us. I have been at this ww stuff for a very long time, I only weigh 62.60 Kg., 138 lbs. and I am now riding on better roads and after all these years of being a ww. I feel I have good knowledge and some intuition about this bike and what can be done. Yet things do fail once in a great while. I just continue the best I can. If we need to make something a little heavier or replace something with a little heavier part, so be it. If we can go a little lighter thats good. Its a little like when I was racing, I didn't have to win, I just really enjoyed doing my best, sharing an experience with others, even if it was painful and hard at times. What really is most important to us?