UPDATE: Rue Uberlight now 3,346g (7.38lbs)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

So like veloplugs but uglier and heavier?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

donald

by donald

Alcatraz, I appreciate your input. I use power cordz everywhere, my cassette lock ring is drilled some, sanded down some and is 2.7 grams. My chainring bolts are 7 grams, also shaved down some. I have been using aluminum brake lever nuts for over 15 years, they also have some material shaved off. On some of my wheels I use Velo Plugs, but they are very thin compared to what you have in your picture. there is also Rox rim tape but one doesn't have use rim tape, just put 20 mm. worth of strong thin tape just where the holes are. What is your bike? I always enjoy hearing about what weight weenies are doing. Many of us weight weenies like all kinds of bikes, some of us like to lighten them as much as possible and we like to ride them as much as we can. There are things I could do to make my bike even lighter. I recently modified a Shimano 10-speed rear derailleur (7900) down to 98 grams, 7 grams lighter than the 8-speed derailleur I was using.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

With 3.3kg I'm not suprised you've thought of it all already.

My bike is nothing special like your bike. I hope to break the 6kg barrier in a few days. Should land on 5.9kg.

The way I think I'm hard to beat is by the invested dollar amount. I got under 6kg for less than 700 usd in 5 months and over the summer riding season. Old sram red group, force shifters, fsa slk bb30 crankset, hongfu fm066sl frame,kinlin xr200/dati r1 wheelset, planet-x cnc calipers, aluminum stranded cable housing, xpedo magnesium pedals. All bolts switched to aluminum/titanium. Chinese noname seat/post/handlebar/stem - all carbon except stem. Maxis ultralight tubes, cst h486 tires.

Even shoes I found shimano r078 to be light at around 480gr :-). Helmet 180gr 4bucks. I found that common water bottles are 65-110gr for 750ml. I use a supermarket bottle 1L 38gr. No problem to use it, flip lid and squeeze. :lol: Other light stuff I found was an air pump at 38gr only. I never had to use it once even though I've done more than 1000km on lightweight tubes/tires on occasionally bad chinese roads. While living in Germany and using schwalbe durano tires and thick tubes, I got flats _all_ the time. 10 each year probably. So no flats on this relatively cheap lightweight chinese stuff is quite amazing to me. Maybe schwalbe is going environment friendly or something. Like water based paint...

95% was bought second hand in china. Several items I got from people who probably didnt know what they had. I started hunting for parts in may and just now beginning of october i got the last.

/a
Last edited by alcatraz on Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:15 am, edited 6 times in total.

BmanX

by BmanX

I never buy anything new if I can get around it. If you can buy used that is the best especially if you are going to tune it. I can think of about 4 items that I have had to buy new but even then I tried to wait to they were on a sale. So never full retail.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Yeah many people get in and out of cycling all the time. Many people upgrade their stuff every year. Their stuff is always trickling down....

The hardest thing to hunt down for me was a light compact crank. It took forever to find out the crank weights without chainrings. For example sram red is 358gr (2012-2014),specialized is 383gr, fsa slk 407gr. With their respective rings these cranks are not placed in this order because the ring weight varies so much. On top of that I need the right arm length, bb standard and bcd standard. You wont believe how many offers had to be turned down because of this. I got an slk for 100bucks with bb. The red would have been 150-170. Specialized 140. 24gr is not worth 40 bucks for me, yet. Besides it's legs were 2.5mm longer than they should have been. Maybe get a red crank over the winter instead.

I suspect that some wheightweenies out there reading this are thinking "Those were the good old days when I could lose 24g for just 40bucks and this idiot turns it down." :lol:

/a
Last edited by alcatraz on Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Liggero

by Liggero

This bike goes to far, in reduces weight at the cost of performance of speed. It crosses that border in which a lighter bike is not faster anymore.
Happy Trails !!!

BmanX

by BmanX

Agree to disagree
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

donald

by donald

Liggero, I don't experience any reduction in performance the lighter I make my bike. On the flats or downhill it is just as fast as when it was a little heavier, and when the road goes up it is even faster than when it was a little heavier.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I mentioned this bike at the shop yesterday and Bre immediately said "oh, Don!" She mentioned something about Interbike and how you rode from LV to the event.

donald

by donald

Modified Dura Ace 10-speed derailleur, 98 grams. I have used this one for about 8 months or so, works great. I could take a few more grams off but for now I am satisfied with it as is. I don't remember if I ever put pictures of any of my wheels on a scale. My lightest front tubular, shown with the lightest tire I sometimes use, 374 grams; 265 grams without the tire. My lightest front clincher shown with tube and tire mounted. It weighs 359 grams without.
Attachments
IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0107.JPG

RussellS

by RussellS

donald wrote:My lightest front clincher shown with tube and tire mounted. It weighs 359 grams without.

Veloflex Record 22mm tire. Website says 145 grams. Which leaves about 42 grams for the tube. Scale showed 546 grams total for wheel, tire, tube. Your statement and the pictures should not lead to any accusations of made up fantasy world. Although you did not say where the rim tape is added in. We got to know what you used for rim tape and if its in that 359 number. Assume its in the 546 number with the tire mounted. So that might reduce the tube down to 36 grams maybe. We might be getting to the threshold of unbelievable now.

RussellS

by RussellS

At the start of the thread you said the frame weighed 597 grams and is 9 years old. Based on some of the recent threads about the AX Vial EVO Ultra and the not yet in production Extralite frame, your 597 frame is not all that out of the ordinary for a superlight frame. If somehow you could work with the AX or Extralite factories to make a super duper frame from them, you could easily take another 50-100 grams off. Your custom frame from 9 years ago is now just what you can sort of order straight from the maker on their website order form. Any bum and bozo can have a frame just as light as yours.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

donald wrote:My lightest front tubular, shown with the lightest tire I sometimes use, 374 grams; 265 grams without the tire.
109 grams for tire and glue (or tape). What tire weighs that little? And is that the weight inflated?

donald

by donald

RussellS, That Record tire is a 20 mm. I still have about 10 new 20 mm. that I have never used. They weigh between 125 and 136 grams. I think the one I have on now is 130 grams. Tire weights vary like most things. I weigh everything, I have for over 40 years. My frame will be 10 years old in March. Some light frames out there listed in the 650 gram range are for size small. All my listed weights are very accurate. When you have been a weight weenie as long as I have accurate weight becomes important.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

donald

by donald

Hammer Time 2, The 109 gram tire is a TUFO Elite 110. It is a track tire which I don't use all the time, mainly for short hill climbs. In that clincher I have velo plugs, I think 16 of them came to 2.5 grams. I'll weight some and let you know. The weight in the picture for the tubular is with glue and probably with about 40 psi. in it.