UPDATE: Rue Uberlight now 3,346g (7.38lbs)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BmanX

by BmanX

There are many ways to build a bike and I guess you just have to sort out how you want to ride it and where you want to ride it and build around that. 1x to me is the best way to get around the weight issues at this point BUT you have to figure out your build. I know for me I can ride a 1x10 comfortably in my area and not have any issues. Would I race this set up, NO.

What defines a light bike. Do you need to have double brakes? Do you need to have double front chainring? Do you need to have drop bars? How many gears do you need to run? Is it OK to build a 1x 6 bike with a front brake for a very flat area and does that make it better or worse than someone that lives in an area with lots of hills and needs to be running a 2x11 bike.

I have thought about building a light bike that could be used for climbs. Single brake, 32t spiderless ring with an 11-16 straight block cassette as I know I can climb a lot on a 32/16 set up as I have run that on single speed MTB's for years. Could have a flat bar with a very light lever.

There are so many ways to build a light bike that is usable for the rider but what do others consider to be the must haves and in the end does it really matter what others think. lol.

Don has been a person that I look up to in this WW arena and I would love for him to do different versions of this build to see what is really possible.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

donald

by donald

BmanX, I always like the things you have to say and I really think it helps others here to think about and experiment with other things. Since this is ww's there are different aspects of light bikes. cycling is to enjoy. Tuning is to enjoy, at least for the most part. We don't want to worry about every pot hole, decending, etc. I'm sure we also build according to our weight, roads we ride on, etc. I do get back to the Bay Area but right now I am spending more time in Vegas. There are some nearby climbs. Mt. Charleston is a long climb, Red Rock has some shorter climbs and there are a few others. Right now I am still using 50 X 34 with 12-21. I tend to stand a lot at a lower cadence but that continues to work for me. But who knows, I might experiment with the bike in the future.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

I think people get too wrapped up in what is possible and what they feel a WW bike should be. Like everything in life, there are many roads to get to the same destination. WW is such a fun part of our lives and I love seeing every ones different take on their objectives.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Mep

by Mep

Mad props to you. I remember how hard it used to be getting a bike down to 6 kg. These days it seems much easier with the plethora of lighter parts, but this thread brings back the standards of old. This should be the defintion of Weight Weenism.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

donald

by donald

I think many of us are competitive and need to project our individual energy in some outward way. striving for a lighter bike could be a way to lighten up some of the heaviness in our lives, the bike being an outer symbol, going towards lighter inner feelings, experiences, happiness, etc. Here we share our words,, thoughts and feelings because we share in the joy of bikes and riding.

leej88

by leej88

Wow. I'm speechless.

I mean, I probably had more beer and food in weight than your bike last night.

KarlC

by KarlC

donald wrote:The saddle is attached the same way as my previous combo, the 96g combo [http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132517]. I have been using the 96g since 2015 with no problems so I doubt there will be problems with the 68g combo.

I cant get your link to work.

If you don't mind Id like to know more about how you attached the saddle to the seat post and how it rides.

I cut the rails off a seat and attached a clamp to the underside of the seat. This clamp is made for my seat post, it all worked fine, looks cool and saved weight. But with no seat rails the ride is harsh so Im not using it.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

Donald thx for the link, I tried to remove the [ ] but for some reason it still did not work for me.

Here it is for others ...... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132517

Also do you tell us more about how you attached the Saddle to the seat post ? And how does it ride without the seat rails ?

My combo rides very harsh with out the seat rails.

Great bike, thanks for all of you input on this site !
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

donald

by donald

KarlC, I don't have pictures of the process of making my combo. About 1 cm. from the top of the shaft I cut two slots ,front and back, about, about 3 mm. X 8 mm. A piece of carbon 8 mm. X 4 cm., just a little less than 3 mm. thick is inserted through, and extends about 12 mm. from the shaft, front and back. Two small countersunk holes are drilled on the top of the saddle, a little extra carbon was added in this area underneath. Two glass filled nylon bolts, 4 mm. front and 5 mm. back are inserted into that 8 mm. X 4 cm. piece. The bolts are just a little less than flush on the saddle and two small pieces of carbon veneer are glued on top of the bolt heads so you can't see where the bolt heads are. then underneath, the area around the bolts, top of the shaft, etc. have 4,500 psi epoxy added. This is how I did my other combo, except I used aluminum bolts. It was used for almost two years without a problem, sometimes on very rough roads. The dash saddle does flex and also just really fits me well and so it is fairly comfortable.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Awesome build! I'll have to show this thread to Bre (Ruegamer). She's the lead wrench at my team shop - I'm sure she'd enjoy how this thing has evolved!

donald

by donald

Thanks Imaking20, I had my Rue at last years Interbike outdoor demo and met Bre's business partner for their HiFi carbon wheels. He said Bre was coming later but I was only there for a couple of hours, if Bre came, I'm sorry I missed her. It would have been good to see her again. Tell her I said hello and hope to talk with her sometime.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Looks like the front and rear wheel doesnt match. Whats up with that?

What kind of spokes are you running? I saw that one spoke manufacturer does titanium aero spokes at just 2.6gr each (260mm).

/a

alcatraz

by alcatraz

double

donald

by donald

alcatraz, My wheels have been talked about a number of times in the Gallery section where my bike was first listed, probably about 9 years ago. Also there were updates and also various updates in the road section. The front is a carbon tubular, the whole wheel weighs 265 grams, it has Pillar Ti spokes. The rear is a magnesium clincher, of which I could paint the rim black, also has the lightest Pillar spokes. The rear dash hub weighs 93.7 grams. The whole rear clincher wheel weighs 406 grams.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Then you probably have those spokes already.

Pillar has a few titanium versions but only one that is both aero and titanium which also happens to be their lightest. 2.6grams@260mm. Impressive. I guess you have aluminum nipples with those.

Are you already using power cordz brake and shifter cables?

What about the cassette end cap. I found some aluminum ones here that are 3.x grams.

Chainring bolts, I found 7075 alloy ones 7 grams for five.

You might want to get some campagnolo caliper recessed nuts. They are aluminum and hence lighter than the titanium ones I'm guessing you are using.

What about those unnecessary long and heavy tube valves. Have you thought of a way to make them smaller? Must be annoying to have them in plain sight, taunting. :D

Sorry to bring up the wheels without reading your previous posts.

Another thing I found here in China and have had no problems with, are these. Lighter solution to rim tape.