Real world experience with Bikebox Alan

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

Recently I've travelled with an Evoc which surprisingly does the job every time with no issues. But I have the feeling, that it's because I've been lucky so far. If the baggage handlers decide to put the Evoc at the very bottom, I'm not sure the wheels will survive the pressure, which is why I'm looking for a hardbox.

I've been looking at the Alan for quite some time now, just haven't had the guts to pull the trigger yet. I just want a bike box, where I don't have to worry at all. The Evoc may be fine 19 out of 20 times. But I'm looking for 100 out of 100 succes rate.

Has anyone, who have used the Alan had any problems after repetetly use?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stueys

by Stueys

I've had a BBA for 3-4 years now and traveled multiple times with it. My thoughts;

Pro's
- It genuinely seems to be rock solid, no issues or concerns on the trips I've had with it. I've complete confidence my bike is safe in there.
- It's well organised, I can get my bike, bike clothes, track pump, helmet, nutrition and tools all in the BBA. The tools are kept well away from the bike (under a foam layer) and the clothes give an extra layer of padding around the frame. It's very handy having that space in the bike box as my long weekend trips are just the bike box and a small carry on, I'm not chasing both the bike and checked in bags at the other end (which is useful as they normally come out in different places)

Con's
- Shape of the case, you need to be careful on hire cars and what will take the box. It's fine as a solo traveller but when I travel with the family (and the back seats are taken) then I've had issues with some hire cars getting the box into the car.
- Weight, it's about 11kg by itself so once bike and gear go into the box it hits 24-25kg.

Overall I've been really pleased with it, I would only have 100% confidence in a hard case with anti crush protection. Of those the BBA seems to be the best one by some margin. It's been great so far.

Multebear

by Multebear

This was exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks a lot for detailed review :thumbup:

964Cup

by 964Cup

Also be aware that you have to deflate the tyres when fitting the wheels into a BBA, so be sure you have access to a suitable pump at the other end. I had a bit of a moment at the Denmark amateur worlds when I couldn't get hold of a track pump until just before the start. Other than that, I will second that the weight is substantial (can be hard to stay under baggage weight limits), the size can be a challenge in e.g. taxis, and the clips are IME somewhat fiddly. On the other hand, it seems to be completely bombproof, which is the main point. Certainly much happier shipping my best bike in the BBA than in my other soft bag.

Benno

by Benno

I use a soft bag (Pika Packworks) and have good insurance on my bikes for the off chance that my bikes get lost/crushed.

sungod

by sungod

i've used one for a few years, well over 20 flights with it

it has a few gouges on the outside, and i need to re-attach one of the velcro straps internally (my fault), but all fine otherwise (of course if there is a big enough force, nothing will be safe)

i take time to pack it carefully, with plenty of padding/soft stuff in the gaps, in case something comes loose, looks like this, the gap is where i put the helmet in a soft bag...

Multebear

by Multebear

Thanks for the additional input and the picture.

The most important thing for me is, that the bike arrives safely. I'm pretty well insured as well. But that doesn't help, if you're stranded without the possibility to ride your own bike.

I don't care about extra work, weight or odd size box. I just want to be able to unpack and ride.

Grill

by Grill

I've had mine for 4 years and taken it transatlantic a dozen time and a dozen more throughout Europe. It's sturdy and does the job. The only problem I have with it is when I leave the USA the TSA open it and when they close it they almost never manage to get the supporting pole in the receiver slot. That said it just pushes the material on the side and no damage has come of any of my bikes as a result. Highly recommended.

sungod

by sungod

fwiw i wrapped the pole in bubble wrap, it makes it 'stand up' in about the right position and i figured if it does get opened/closed maybe there's less chance of spokes being damaged

RyanH

by RyanH

Do these fit in a Prius taxi? I have a Pika Packworks which works well. I had one mishap where a bag must have been thrown onto it and cause the wheel to come out of true. Fortunately, that happened on my return trip not on the way out. The one nice thing about the Pika is that it fits in all sorts of vehicles.

Stueys

by Stueys

sungod wrote:fwiw i wrapped the pole in bubble wrap, it makes it 'stand up' in about the right position and i figured if it does get opened/closed maybe there's less chance of spokes being damaged

Ditto

tinozee

by tinozee

I use BBA as well and agree with all above. Mine works great and has been lost in europe due to airlines several times! It always came back to me without a hint of damage to the parts inside. The picture that shows the inside stuffed with other clothes, gear, etc explains a lot. Packing it well is key. I found that I could pack entire bike, bottles (with stuff (socks/gels, etc) inside), helmet, shoes all riding clothes, everything to do with cycling really in there with the bike. 5 stars.

The only drawback is the odd size/shape, but that will be the reality with any case that really protects.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

How heavy are these things?

Max 20kg weight for bikes on the airline I mostly use, and would expect a hard box to eat into that.

Focus

by Focus

What hire cars will a BBA fit into if travelling with family?

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I've been using an EVOC for years without issues.
But needed to renew it so I narrowed it down to;
New EVOC Pro bag (a much improved version of the original)
and
BikeBoxAlan

As much as I am an EVOC fan, and love the product, I just wanted 99.9% peace of mind when flying that there would be no damage.

So I just ordered a BBA, even though it's 150$ more than the EVOC. However, it is actually smaller than the EVOC, even though it can't be collapsed on arrival like the EVOC can.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com