Dura Ace 9070 Rear Mech Hanger stiff problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Hey

Has anyone else had this issue...

The mech hanger is extremely stiff, and doesn't return to the base position when shifting. I took it apart and narrowed the issue down the following part...

The silver bolt assembly is effectively an axle set up. The threaded part at the top is part of the internal axle element, which rotates co-axially inside the outer element. When turning this with an allen key inserted in the broached port in the rear, it is extremely stiff and does not turn freely.

I can't see any way to disassemble this and fix it, and have tried soaking it in WD-40 to no avail.

So has anyone else had this, and if so, how did you fix it... ?

I realise it might just be shagged, of course, and require a trip down the bike shop to get a new one...

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

You can all stop your research and breath a sigh of relief, as I worked it out.

Managed to get it apart, which was a mega-wrestle. Wondered why it was so tight, until I got it open, and this presented itself to me...

Jeeeeeesus.

I don't even ride in the rain or use running water to clean my bike, so god knows where this mess came from.

Will clean it up and see how it goes.

Word of warning; my cage got locked in a forward position on a climb, and it was only me realising in a split second what was wrong and slamming my brakes on that prevent me Nibali-ing off my whole rear mech assembly, so I am setting all of you some homework; check if your cage is smooth, and pings back into position smoothly. If not, take it apart, clean it and relube. If you don't, you could end up ripping the back of your drivetrain and half the stays off your frame, which is a horrifically expensive thing to happen...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Sometimes the seal to that assembly leaks and then it gets so dirty inside. I've seen DA derailleurs like that but not Ultegras.

As you say most of the time it ends up ripping apart the mech hanger and causing a huge mess...

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Yeah, I am not sure why they have made it like they have. Seems massively prone to mayhem.

And I am now convinced that I have found the root of every 'mystery' chain jamming and subsequent mech, dropout, and rear triangle massacre.

boots2000

by boots2000

I had an early 9000 derailleur do that- Shimano warrantied it and gave me a new one.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Good job... and thanks for the pics. Shiny on the outside, and a rusty corroded mess on the inside. I'd be looking at replacing that rather than just cleaning it up. Probably would work for a while, but then... looks so corroded that you'd be back to where you are now before long.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

It wasn't corroded in the end.

The black stuff all over it was grease as dirt packed together. Once I cleaned it off, it as perfect underneath. I have reassembled with grease and it is working very smoothly now. My gears have been a bit 'off' recently, and since sorting this, they are running perfectly again.

adam0bmx0

by adam0bmx0

TheDarkInstall wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:14 pm
You can all stop your research and breath a sigh of relief, as I worked it out.

Managed to get it apart, which was a mega-wrestle. Wondered why it was so tight, until I got it open, and this presented itself to me...

How did you manage to take it apart in the end? (Yes i know this thread is old :o )

Mine is seized up......

ms6073

by ms6073

It is interesting that a replacement assembly is shown on Shimano's expanded view (Plate Axle Assembly - Y5Y898030), yet the dealer manual does not appear to provide a procedure the replacement.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

adam0bmx0

by adam0bmx0

OK, so all sorted, essentially the long pin is just a press fit, so you just need to press it out, clean up all surfaces, re-grease and put it all back together, working good as new now. Mine was dry as a bone in there, not one drop of grease anymore.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com