Will Shimano go...12 speed, wireless, DA disc? Maybe.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I am not bothered what Shimano comes out with. Use their second-string Far East stuff and you are always stuck with the thought that 'It isn't Campagnolo'.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

The reason you're not hearing or seeing much and Shimano got pissed about Velonews is everyone who saw the new Dura-ace (I was one) had to sign a serious looking form and got a stern talking to. They really don't want us talking and threatened to cut future ties with anyone who does.

All I'll say is Dura-ace has been owning the market the last few years and the 9000/9070 stuff works perfectly. Etap is all hype and Record is a niche market. There's no reason to expect a radical change with the new Dura-ace because there's not much to change or that needs changing. The only reason would be for marketing inpact and that's not Shimano's style.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Can you elaborate on why eTap is "all hype"?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Dura Ace 9100 will not be 12 speed or wireless. I believe Shimano has already said as much already.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Lelandjt wrote:The reason you're not hearing or seeing much and Shimano got pissed about Velonews is everyone who saw the new Dura-ace (I was one) had to sign a serious looking form and got a stern talking to. They really don't want us talking and threatened to cut future ties with anyone who does.

All I'll say is Dura-ace has been owning the market the last few years and the 9000/9070 stuff works perfectly. Etap is all hype and Record is a niche market. There's no reason to expect a radical change with the new Dura-ace because there's not much to change or that needs changing. The only reason would be for marketing inpact and that's not Shimano's style.

SRAM is the under-dog. They have to take risks. And agree Campy is a niche player who isn't even in the OEM market. As the leader Shimano has to be careful not to "screw it up" and hand over the market to SRAM.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That doesn't really mean much. SRAM used to be all about the "mechanical advantage". Until they weren't. Lol.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Synnove

by Synnove

Valbrona wrote:I am not bothered what Shimano comes out with. Use their second-string Far East stuff and you are always stuck with the thought that 'It isn't Campagnolo'.

Your racism is showing, which, consequently, seems to prevent you from recognizing quality engineering and manufacturing.

Benno

by Benno

I think there is some room for improvement with the shifters. Multi shifting is too slow and the shift buttons don't provide enough feedback. I know a lot of people that mis-shift on di2 because the buttons are so close together.
Those are my only beefs.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Lelandjt wrote:The reason you're not hearing or seeing much and Shimano got pissed about Velonews is everyone who saw the new Dura-ace (I was one) had to sign a serious looking form and got a stern talking to. They really don't want us talking and threatened to cut future ties with anyone who does.

This

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

XCProMD wrote:Can you elaborate on why eTap is "all hype"?

Wireless only matters for the install. Once it's on the bike it stops being a feature and is just extra batteries.

ooo

by ooo

current Shimano 11sp road center lock freehubs are 135mm :
FH-CX75
FH-RS505

shiimano do not want to share info before launch because they are waiting for uci decision about discs until tdf start, probably they have plan A and plan B just in case
Last edited by ooo on Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 9 times in total.
'

Stueys

by Stueys

Lelandjt wrote:
XCProMD wrote:Can you elaborate on why eTap is "all hype"?

Wireless only matters for the install. Once it's on the bike it stops being a feature and is just extra batteries.

Not sure I agree, wireless has potential if you have a frame designed purely to take wireless. Less holes in the frame, less potential rattles, etc, etc. But I agree that I'm not sure any of that is more than marginal and DI2 works just fine as it is.

For me I'm delighted that SRAM keep innovating, they are helping keep the market moving forward. I think eTap has bought them bang up to date and put some pressure on Shimano, which is great frankly. I wouldn't change much with DI2 other than keep making it lighter and, for the love of god, make it broadcast Ant+ without having to add a separate box.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I don't think Shimano will go 12 speed. As already discussed, adding another cog and adding disc brakes probably requires wider rear spacing, which means not only would people have to buy new wheels to adopt Shimano 12-speed, they'd have to buy new frames too. That's a big ask. (And yes, I'm just going to assume that discs are the new standard regardless of need or actual demand.) And a lot of people already just bought new wheels within the last couple of years to 11-speed. (I'm still on 10.) So that is another barrier to sales.

I think the new DA Di2 will offer a greater level of customization by users. I think Shimano has already said it plans to add wireless management of the system to XTR, and I expect that will be similar to DA.

And I think Shimano will find a way to streamline the entire system to make it easier to set up and manage, as well as reducing weight and improving performance.

But I think the big additions will be the power meter and hyrdaulic disc brakes.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

I've said it before, but wired v wireless, number of cogs etc is only fluff in this debate so long as electronic shifting remains nothing more than a powered, self-adjusting version of mechanical. 9170 should be about tweaking the software to provide functionality that 9100/9000 doesn't offer, and providing it out of the box rather than via hackery.

If I was considering a wireless addition, it would be wireless satellite shifters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Philbar72

by Philbar72

No to Wireless
no to 12 speed
yes to a power meter.

that's what I'm thinking...