AfterMarketg Compact Chainrings...?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

havana

by havana

Praxis, TA and Stronglight.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

KCookie wrote:It's a shame you've had problems as it's the Complete opposite for me, couldn't fault my praxis rings at all with my DI2, the shifting was sublime up and down. Unfortunately for nothing but to loose weight and to look good I changed to Fibre Lyte and now can not get the chain to engage on the up shift, it's so annoying i will be changing them for Extralite rings and most probable back to Praxis. !!

Yeah it is really annoying. I have spent a fair amount of time testing various tunings; 1,2 and 3mm gap between the front mech and big ring, as per Shimano instructions. That changed nothing. Dialled the high stop at various gaps, from absolutely right up against the chain, with a hairs gap (which led to rubbing when sprinting), to 1mm gap. Nothing changed. Cleaned the teeth, tried various lubes on the chain, etc. Nothing. The rings are just not upshifting properly, and like I said, I have seen a load of people both online and in person having the same issues.

Extralite; yeah was considering those as an option, so do let us know how they work for you.

kkibbler wrote:+n Praxis.

havana wrote:Praxis

Erm...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Clearly enough people don't have the issues you described and are comfortable recommending them, so give them another shot or disregard. /shrug

fitty4

by fitty4

The first post you said light as possible, well almost as light as extralite is b.o.r inside, 110mm 34T 27 gram, which i'm running, I haven't had any issues only a couple of Andy Schlecks but that has been my fault when spinning to fast when going down on small chainring on rough road. I'm not pulling monster watt, maybe 8-900 watt on the small ring. Big ring 110mm 50T TA syrius which is 80 gram, I don't have experience with this, i used to have TA on my mtb and was very happy with them.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

kkibbler wrote:Clearly enough people don't have the issues you described and are comfortable recommending them, so give them another shot or disregard. /shrug

LOL, no. The last comment in my post was, "looking for other rings to try now..."

Keep up!

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

fitty4 wrote:The first post you said light as possible, well almost as light as extralite is b.o.r inside, 110mm 34T 27 gram, which i'm running, I haven't had any issues only a couple of Andy Schlecks but that has been my fault when spinning to fast when going down on small chainring on rough road. I'm not pulling monster watt, maybe 8-900 watt on the small ring. Big ring 110mm 50T TA syrius which is 80 gram, I don't have experience with this, i used to have TA on my mtb and was very happy with them.

Thanks, I'll have a look at B.O.R and TA.

Haha, 900 watts on the small ring sounds pretty monster to me...

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TheDarkInstall wrote:Right, so I have been using Praxisworks Levatime compact rings since late June.

I have set my Dura Ace Di2 up perfectly...

-The down shift is fine, and smooth.
-The chain rolls alright on the rings and isn't too noisy.

But...

-Flex; the big ring flexes when sprinting.
-Upshifting is SHOCKINGLY bad, to the point where I have to pedal super soft and carefully when shifting up. Every single time, the chain slips across the top of the teeth, and take time to engage. When it engages, it is held at an angle, then makes a snapping noise when it finally comes off, like the terrifying early stages of chain suck. Also, every upshift is different, with the slipping happening more or less, each time, and occassionally the chain completely falling over the outer edge of the big chainring altogether (and scratching my SiSL2 crank arm like bastard).

Totally unimpressed. I have seen other people complaining about this upshifting too, and I have definitely got everything dialled in perfectly. I don't run old chains, and replace often, and installed a new chain when I installed the rings the first time too.

Seriously, they are crap.

So, looking for other rings to try now...

you need to work on the step up... I've had that shifting over the top before as well and have THM cranks so I definitely don't want to go over. Anyways adjusting the FD to the right height and messing with limit screws seemed to work for me.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

KCookie

by KCookie

TheDarkInstall wrote:
KCookie wrote:It's a shame you've had problems as it's the Complete opposite for me, couldn't fault my praxis rings at all with my DI2, the shifting was sublime up and down. Unfortunately for nothing but to loose weight and to look good I changed to Fibre Lyte and now can not get the chain to engage on the up shift, it's so annoying i will be changing them for Extralite rings and most probable back to Praxis. !!

Yeah it is really annoying. I have spent a fair amount of time testing various tunings; 1,2 and 3mm gap between the front mech and big ring, as per Shimano instructions. That changed nothing. Dialled the high stop at various gaps, from absolutely right up against the chain, with a hairs gap (which led to rubbing when sprinting), to 1mm gap. Nothing changed. Cleaned the teeth, tried various lubes on the chain, etc. Nothing. The rings are just not upshifting properly, and like I said, I have seen a load of people both online and in person having the same issues.

Extralite; yeah was considering those as an option, so do let us know how they work for you.

No problem, will be on by next week some time, if it helps my extralite rings 52/36 weigh 98g.

kkibbler wrote:+n Praxis.

havana wrote:Praxis[/quote

Erm...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TheDarkInstall wrote:Right, so I have been using Praxisworks Levatime compact rings since late June.

I have set my Dura Ace Di2 up perfectly...

-The down shift is fine, and smooth.
-The chain rolls alright on the rings and isn't too noisy.

But...

-Flex; the big ring flexes when sprinting.
-Upshifting is SHOCKINGLY bad, to the point where I have to pedal super soft and carefully when shifting up. Every single time, the chain slips across the top of the teeth, and take time to engage. When it engages, it is held at an angle, then makes a snapping noise when it finally comes off, like the terrifying early stages of chain suck. Also, every upshift is different, with the slipping happening more or less, each time, and occassionally the chain completely falling over the outer edge of the big chainring altogether (and scratching my SiSL2 crank arm like bastard).

Totally unimpressed. I have seen other people complaining about this upshifting too, and I have definitely got everything dialled in perfectly. I don't run old chains, and replace often, and installed a new chain when I installed the rings the first time too.

Seriously, they are crap.

So, looking for other rings to try now...

I wouldn't say crap but my Praxis set up does not shift as well as any of my stock Sram Red bikes and certainly not as good as the front shifting on any of my Shimano bikes. The symptoms I have experience are similar to above though not as severe. My main issue is the delay in the upshift. I don't get slipping but that is likely because I never shift under load. I have also swapped the Praxis rings around to multiple different bikes and the performance doesn't change. I will however support the notion that Praxis rings are very durable. No deterioration in many kms.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Miller

by Miller

What's wrong with the stock DA chainrings?

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Miller wrote:What's wrong with the stock DA chainrings?

As mentioned, I use Sisl2 cranks. I was previously using the matching Spidering which in hindsight had phenomenally good shifting. I bought a Power2Max TypeS in Sisl2 config which needs separate rings.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

@KCookie. LOL, yeah what is the deal with people not reading posts before replying. I see that a lot here; someone posts a potential issue with a product, stating that they have set it up properly, and get a load of 'you haven't set it up right' replies. Haha.

KCookie

by KCookie

TheDarkInstall wrote:@KCookie. LOL, yeah what is the deal with people not reading posts before replying. I see that a lot here; someone posts a potential issue with a product, stating that they have set it up properly, and get a load of 'you haven't set it up right' replies. Haha.

Think yourself lucky, I posted my bike on here with the large chainring on back to front, wasn't fitted by me as I'm useless with bikes, but not good. Lol. !!!

jekyll man

by jekyll man

TheDarkInstall wrote:Hi

I am in the market for some of after market road compact chainrings, and I wanted to know what my options were and what is decent / tested by you lot.

I need the following;

-110 compact
-5 bolt for use with Power2Max PM
-50/34

I would like;

-Light as possible
-Stiff and hard wearing, and up to proper hammer
-Rad

Price is not an issue.

I have done some basic checking and have seen the following;

PraxxisWorks
Extralite

Erm... and that is it.

Anything else out there at the moment I should be checking out?

I am running Dura Ace 9000.

So where's it mention you're using sisl2??
Official cafe stop tester

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

jekyll man wrote:
TheDarkInstall wrote:So where's it mention you're using sisl2??

In the feedback post I made yesterday.

Also, in the first post you quote, I state that I am using a 5 hole Power2Max power meter which automatically rules out Dura Ace 9000 cranks and rings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com